Coach Summitt speaks

She was AWESOME! CLASS ACT all the way! You couldn’t ask for a better person/ coach. Great Coach; great recruiting; developed the players physically, mentally, emotionally, educationally. I shared some classes with some Lady VOLS. I don’t think that there was a single four year player (during her time) that didn’t graduate with some kind of degree. And the WINS!!!! But, she was also so “Down To Earth…. I passed her on campus one day, and she waved at me as if I was a friend. —There will never be another….— THANKS PAT!

Last edited:
Coach Summitt was a real pioneer of the girls game. She reminded me so much of Grandam Gatewood, she is credited with being the first woman to hiking the AT Appalachian Trail. She was 67 the first time she hiked it. She hiked it 3 times. The last time at 82. She hiked the Oregon trail after her 2nd time and before her 3rd time. After I read her book I hiked 129 miles of the AT last year. I did it in 3 different hikes. First 31 miles, Springer mountain to, Neel gap 31.3 miles. My 2nd hike from Neel gap Georgia to Deep Gap N. C. Then Deep Gap NC. To Tellico Gap NC. At mile marker 128.8. I’m going to do around another 200 miles this year. Her book is a lot like Pat book. It’s very inspiring.

Attachments

• 7D02C582-1749-4E59-87DF-50B65B6776B4.jpeg
    7D02C582-1749-4E59-87DF-50B65B6776B4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Coach Summitt was a real pioneer of the girls game. She reminded me so much of Grandam Gatewood, she is credited with being the first woman to hiking the AT Appalachian Trail. She was 67 the first time she hiked it. She hiked it 3 times. The last time at 82. She hiked the Oregon trail after her 2nd time and before her 3rd time. After I read her book I hiked 129 miles of the AT last year. I did it in 3 different hikes. First 31 miles, Springer mountain to, Neel gap 31.3 miles. My 2nd hike from Neel gap Georgia to Deep Gap N. C. Then Deep Gap NC. To Tellico Gap NC. At mile marker 128.8. I’m going to do around another 200 miles this year. Her book is a lot like Pat book. It’s very inspiring.

She reminded me so much of Grandam Gatewood, she is credited with being the first woman to hiking the AT Appalachian Trail. She was 67 the first time she hiked it. She hiked it 3 times. The last time at 82. She hiked the Oregon trail after her 2nd time and before her 3rd time. After I read her book I hiked 129 miles of the AT last year. I did it in 3 different hikes. First 31 miles, Springer mountain to, Neel gap 31.3 miles. My 2nd hike from Neel gap Georgia to Deep Gap N. C. Then Deep Gap NC. To Tellico Gap NC. At mile marker 128.8. I’m going to do around another 200 miles this year.

I walked a portion of the AT this past summer. From Amaciola Falls, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine. I would say that section is about - 2194.6 miles. I thought it was going to kill me. I do not have any comprehension about how an 82 year old woman (or a five year old child for that matter) can follow the trail faithfully and accomplish it. I am going to go against my better judgment and put a link to my webpage which has pictures from the trail. Anyone who has any experience on the trail might find this interesting. If you click on a picture there’s always a description of the picture at the bottom. Anyone who likes spectacular views, might appreciate some of the photos.

2022 Appalacian Trail Thru Hike

I already shared one story from the trail that happened early on with this board, but will mention it again for those who missed it. I was walking down a hill and I stepped into a ravine and took a header into the ravine which was mostly sharp jagged rocks. I was laying there cut and bruised. I had scrapes and cuts over my entire body. My trail name almost became “road rash” because of this fall. My son saw what happened and was laughing. I looked at him with disgust, questioning why he was laughing after such a horrendous fall. He said, “ I do not know if you know where you are, but you just fell down a hill called Old Rocky Top.” I was like, “Great, a UConn graduate getting his ass kicked by good old Rocky Top, Tennessee.” For the record, it is on the Appalachian Trail because I verified it.

Last edited:
I walked a portion of the AT this past summer. From Amaciola Falls, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine. I would say that section is about - 2194.6 miles. I thought it was going to kill me. I do not have any comprehension about how an 82 year old woman (or a five year old child for that matter) can follow the trail faithfully and accomplish it. I am going to go against my better judgment and put a link to my webpage which has pictures from the trail. Anyone who has any experience on the trail might find this interesting. If you click on a picture there’s always a description of the picture at the bottom. Anyone who likes spectacular views, might appreciate some of the photos.

2022 Appalacian Trail Thru Hike

I already shared one story from the trail that happened early on with this board, but will mention it again for those who missed it. I was walking down a hill and I stepped into a ravine and took a header into the ravine which was mostly sharp jagged rocks. I was laying there cut and bruised. I had scrapes and cuts over my entire body. My trail name almost became “road rash” because of this fall. My son saw what happened and was laughing. I looked at him with disgust, questioning why he was laughing after such a horrendous fall. He said, “ I do not know if you know where you are, but you just fell down a hill called Old Rocky Top.” I was like, “Great, a UConn graduate getting his ass kicked by good old Rocky Top, Tennessee.” For the record, it is on the Appalachian Trail because I verified it.
Gorgeous photos!

VN Store

Back