Coach Pruitt on "Scrimmage"

Is anyone else concerned that, in year 3, we still have so many guys who don't know what to do / need to work on fundamentals? I know it's been an odd off-season, but by year 3 you'd expect the guys to be mastering the system. Yet he says they're keeping the scheme simple.

Hopefully he's just keeping his cards close to the vest, but to this point he's been pretty honest about these things. Not trying to be Debbie Downer... I'm excited to see the team this year.

Uhhh, you are aware that they haven’t had a full scrimmage yet due to MORE THAN 44 players unable to practice, many of which are his OL, his RBs and his DLine.. should have already had 3 by now..
Coach looks totally frustrated that his players have to sit 14 days while other schools in other states (South Carolina) take a test, get a negative, and are right back at practice. gamecocks have had 4 scrimmages so far, and CJP knows his team is nowhere near game ready.. and you don’t scrimmage the week of a game so basically Vols have 8 days to try to get just 1 real scrimmage in with a real roster.

Uhhh, you are aware that they haven’t had a full scrimmage yet due to MORE THAN 44 players unable to practice, many of which are his OL, his RBs and his DLine.. should have already had 3 by now..
Coach looks totally frustrated that his players have to sit 14 days while other schools in other states (South Carolina) take a test, get a negative, and are right back at practice. gamecocks have had 4 scrimmages so far, and CJP knows his team is nowhere near game ready.. and you don’t scrimmage the week of a game so basically Vols have 8 days to try to get just 1 real scrimmage in with a real roster.

Uhhh, ya.

It's refreshing to have a coach that answers questions in a normal manner. If he doesn't know, or doesn't have an opinion he says so.

So many coaches try to act like they know everything, because they are think that they are being judged. In my opinion it's the ones that are clueless and are be judged, and have cause for concern.

CJP tells it like it is, that aint my area of expertise, I hire capable people to administer those things so that I can concern myself with the bigger picture. I think that works well with recruits as well. GBO!

He said that Kirby always finds his golf ball when he hits it into the woods, always. Implying that Kirby is a cheater and using golf as a metaphor for football.

Honestly, I think this was the best part of the interview. If he came up with that off the cuff, then that was remarkable. It was very reminiscent of something Spurrier would say.

Don't really understand why you can't have someone take two tests and then go back out to practice. The contact tracing is only necessary if you don't have the proper testing capacity, which we clearly do.

Reactions: Carolinavols
Honestly, I think this was the best part of the interview. If he came up with that off the cuff, then that was remarkable. It was very reminiscent of something Spurrier would say.

Did y'all see Kirby's response? He said he doesn't play golf with anyone with a 25+ handicap.

So from I read contact tracing is sit out for 10 days or feeling good for 24hrs which ever is longer. Can anyone else expand on this that way we all know what the TN rules are? Also I believe the SEC should have a standard that way it's fair and equal across the board. Let's be honest not every state in the SEC is educated some marry their sisters

Reactions: VolFaninFla
So from I read contact tracing is sit out for 10 days or feeling good for 24hrs which ever is longer. Can anyone else expand on this that way we all know what the TN rules are? Also I believe the SEC should have a standard that way it's fair and equal across the board. Let's be honest not every state in the SEC is educated some marry their sisters
In Tn, right ?

In Tn, right ?
Yea that was for tn but I'm not a doctor or a cdc guy or a chines virus guru so medical stuff is well a different language. Just wondering if someone researched it and could speak more on it cause it seems like a lot of people are just saying blanket statements.

Yea that was for tn but I'm not a doctor or a cdc guy or a chines virus guru so medical stuff is well a different language. Just wondering if someone researched it and could speak more on it cause it seems like a lot of people are just saying blanket statements.
Actually I was asking if Tn. Is one of the states where siblings marry each other. That is what we heard in Virginia.

Jk

Last edited:
Inconsistent

“We’re nowhere where we need to be consistent-wise. Some of our older guys have two or three good plays and then they have a bad one, then two or three good plays then a bad one.”

This sounds like the first two games last year and the year before. Players just looked lost and lacked confidence resulting in “sloppy” play. That changed as the year went on, but my worry is that Pruitt moves players around too much trying to figure out who fits best where and they can’t get into a groove until it’s too late. Will Pruitt be plagued by another bad start this year? I hope not.

Inconsistent

“We’re nowhere where we need to be consistent-wise. Some of our older guys have two or three good plays and then they have a bad one, then two or three good plays then a bad one.”

This sounds like the first two games last year and the year before. Players just looked lost and lacked confidence resulting in “sloppy” play. That changed as the year went on, but my worry is that Pruitt moves players around too much trying to figure out who fits best where and they can’t get into a groove until it’s too late. Will Pruitt be plagued by another bad start this year? I hope not.
A “Bad start” depends on the Qb play more than any other position group in my opinion.

I don't see Spurrier as a positive role model

Is anyone else concerned that, in year 3, we still have so many guys who don't know what to do / need to work on fundamentals? I know it's been an odd off-season, but by year 3 you'd expect the guys to be mastering the system. Yet he says they're keeping the scheme simple.

Hopefully he's just keeping his cards close to the vest, but to this point he's been pretty honest about these things. Not trying to be Debbie Downer... I'm excited to see the team this year.
This probably has a lot to do this pandemic, and all the missed practices and lack of spring ball. Also the ways they’re having to practice now with quarantines and such

VN Store

Back