Coach Lane Kiffin will never consider returning to UT to coach

That’s reasonable. I’m mostly irritated with people pining for Kiffin while our current coach is doing good and needs support, much like people pining for Pearl while Barnes does real well
I will say in retrospect it might’ve been Tucker that would’ve been the best hire of those three, seeing how quickly he’s got Sparty to being a great program again despite a dark cloud hanging overhead

Sure. But remember, Turner was one and done at Colorado. Also Pruitt and Tucker were first time head coaches who prolly didn’t have any business being a head coach for first time at a SEC school.

Also I’m pretty cool on Barnes. I am one to say let him coach here as long as he wants and pay him whatever to keep the program stabilized and an annual tournament team. I say the same with Vitello. We should overpay both programs to keep things stable and avoid an unnecessary coaching search. In Barnes’ case, it’s only a matter of when he retires and when Kim English gets the job as long as English is successful in his head coaching career until then

Lane Kiffin savagely trolls Tennessee fans during exit from Neyland Stadium

What a crazy game, as bad as the reception was for Kiffin from before the game and throughout the game, the worst came after the game as Coach Kiffin was exiting the field. If for some reason, we are looking for a coach again in the future, I don't think Coach Kiffin will ever consider returning to Knoxville as a coach. This game essentially put a nail in the coffin for that possibility....Coach Kiffin and his teams will forever be our biggest rival!
I hope so , maybe some of UT “fans” will get over their crush on that A$$ h#le

Reactions: NighthawkVol

What a crazy game, as bad as the reception was for Kiffin from before the game and throughout the game, the worst came after the game as Coach Kiffin was exiting the field. If for some reason, we are looking for a coach again in the future, I don't think Coach Kiffin will ever consider returning to Knoxville as a coach. This game essentially put a nail in the coffin for that possibility....Coach Kiffin and his teams will forever be our biggest rival!

Let it go. I couldn’t care less about Kiffin.

Los Angeles Chargers coach Brandon Staley is a former Tennessee grad assistant. In the event that Josh Heupel was to depart, we will go after him because we know how that works! Let's go Brandon, where Brandon = Kiffin!

You all do realize he may end up coaching Florida or god forbid Bama and then we’ll hate him even more right

Hopefully he will never be in the conversation

I don't want him back but eh coached rings around our guy last night.
If a guy in his second year that inherited a better team than Heupel, has the likely Hiesman winner at QB, came within a catch of Miltons pass of getting beat, by a team with the #1 RB out, both May’s brothers, and lost the starting QB for the end is your idea of coaching circles around anyone, that is funny 😄😂🤣🤣😂 no hilarious.
If he coached circles around anyone with an unranked, undermanned, average team, they’d of won be 30.

What is everyone’s love affair with Hollywood Kiffin. He’s like a 16yr troll boy who’s the popular kid in school who has never done anything

I think a lot of the fan base prefers a coach that whips the fans into frenzy like Kiffin did his year here and Pearl did for his entire UT run. You saw the passion we have last night. It’s a force to be reckoned with and it’s good to have a coach that can harness it. That isn’t really Josh’s thing. Doesn’t necessarily sink him.

Look I liked the guy when he was our guy.

But the more games I watch of him, the more I begin to realize he’s more sizzle than steak. He had to have a Heisman favorite QB and the best team Ole Miss will have from now until 2060 just to barely escape the most depleted team in UT history.

Like some have mentioned he tries hard to act like Steve Spurrier. The difference is that Spurrier actually won things, and was genuinely funny.

Tennessee conducted a coaching search in 2017. This was in between the time Lane Kiffin was fired by USC, and later hired by Ole Miss. By his own admission during an interview with Knoxville radio personality, Tony Basilio, Kiffin was never contacted during what became a lengthy search, that involved at least 9 coaches.

So, it begs the question :

What makes you think Tennessee would be interested in hiring Lane Kiffin again, in the first place?

There is ZERO precedent for a college football head coach bolting after just one season, and then being rehired later.

Kiffin should be penalized by the conference for throwing his visor into the crowd. Better conduct should be expected from a head coach. That visor could have taken somebody's eye out.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Muschamp and others have slammed our fan base after beating a rowdy Neyland crowd. Kiffin really didn’t have anything bad to say postgame, despite getting pelted for 20 minutes. Hamming it up with the golf ball and visor is about as benign as it gets. Kirby Smart would still be crying if that had been him on the sideline.
True

The number of threads over the years with this theme...in a related story Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Kiffin is a classless jerk. After he ran out the door to California, the nail was in the coffin.

Good I wouldn want or don’t care if he ever steps foot in Neyland or the State of Tennessee again!!!

Tennessee conducted a coaching search in 2017. This was in between the time Lane Kiffin was fired by USC, and later hired by Ole Miss. By his own admission during an interview with Knoxville radio personality, Tony Basilio, Kiffin was never contacted during what became a lengthy search, that involved at least 9 coaches.

So, it begs the question :

What makes you think Tennessee would be interested in hiring Lane Kiffin again, in the first place?

There is ZERO precedent for a college football head coach bolting after just one season, and then being rehired later.

Post Schiano Sunday, Kiffin was publicly lobbying for the job on national radio/TV shows with Finebaum and Clay Travis.

He was the only coach doing that as well

When it was clear we were down to two guys who would be first time head coaches, Kiffin was lightyears better when compared.

When it was clear that Kiffin was starting to get interest from some ACC and SEC schools, it was in our interest to interview him when our program was at rock bottom.

Now I don’t blame Phil for not hiring the guy that replaced him. I do blame his judgement for not taking an objective look at his choices that didn’t include the one guy who was publicly wanting the job and had support among former players and alum and the younger part of the fan base.

Now regarding your use of the word precedent…. Tennessee will never be great again by going with precedent…. Tennessee has had chances in 3 coaching searches to make anyone the highest paid coach in the country. Sadly we have opted for cheaper hires that were most likely going to result in a coaching search down the road. The point I’m making is Tennessee has to make unprecedented moves to get this football program back to being relevant. Hopefully Heupel is the real deal and can really get it going once he builds depth and talent on this roster. That takes time. No one argues that. But it’s hilarious to me how rent free Kiffin lives in people’s heads and that he can do no right when it was clear he was the best option for Tennessee objectively once Schiano Sunday happened. I’m still amazed how triggered people get a guy who coached here over 12 years ago to a point where people would rather lose games with someone else than when games with him. It might be just me but a football coach who has no direct impact on my day to day life with life or death ramifications isnt one of my concerns. It must be a luxury for people to have that privilege.

It might be just me but a football coach who has no direct impact on my day to day life with life or death ramifications isnt one of my concerns. It must be a luxury for people to have that privilege.
I agree with much of your post... but this line here is over the top. Just because a college football fan is frequently critical of an opposing coach on their team's internet message board forum, does not have to mean that they are obsessed with that coach, or mean that the coach is "living rent free inside of their head." That phrase has become such an overused cliche. Ugh.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I agree with much of your post... but this line here is over the top. Just because a college football fan is frequently critical of an opposing coach on their team's internet message board forum, does not have to mean that they are obsessed with that coach, or mean that the coach is "living rent free inside of their head." That phrase has become such an overused cliche. Ugh.

Lane Kiffin 100000% lives rent free in many Vol fans’ heads….. like I get the dislike for him. But these people clinging to grudges for someone and some job that has direct impact on their life are absurd. Literally no different than people who blame others for misfortune in their lives. It’s very weird

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back