Coach Kellie

GameTime

The other day on her show, Coach Kellie made a comment that I zeroed in on.....She said she is out every day trying to improve the LVs....After she said it, she had a slight smile on her face.....She did not appear to be talking about practice, but getting very good ball players to come here...

Next season we have Destiny and Tess coming in.....Destiny will be the ball handler and a quick slasher to the rim....Tess will be the gunner from out where the 3 point demon lives.....Both will be welcomed additions.

The following season, so far, she has Striplin coming in, with hopefully others to follow.....Striplin is another demon hunter from the 3 point line, and can battle down low with her size and body structure....Solidly built girl....Perhaps Teonni will come and play with her sister, and maybe Puckett will come and play with Striplin...To be determined.

Then the following season, when Ace comes here, and the other demon hunters are already in place, this place will go bonkers with joy....

Striplin will be a joy to watch.....
9644675.jpg

A lot going on this summer both in recruiting and the present players. A lot of these present players have to get better offensively some are skill challenged shooting the ball. We need everyone of them to work on their shooting and especially free throw shooting. Team shot 65 percent from the line need to get that up about 10 percent. A lot of interest to see what the makeup of this team will be next season. Of course 2021 has to be a top recruiting class.

Guys, coach Kellie is very well aware that this team is far from being a major contender to any type of title, other than just being tall....

I agree, too many of these girls have to learn how to shoot the ball and score with a high propensity for success...

The days of "rebounds and defense" is all that is needed to win championships has passed...They are a good foundation, but a team has to be able to score, and score again...

A certain team, from up north, put high octane offense in women's college basketball....Their won lost ratio, for the last 10 years, is incredible....

Our current girls have a long ways to go, but it can be done...

Its gonna take top recruiting..but it seems recruiting has not been our problem even the final years of Holly. I constantly read here how "we have nothing but McDonald's All Americans on this team"....and yet 19-20 wins and quick tourney exits. That's why Holly needed to go. Great talent but no coaching. Hopefully KJH can keep recruiting AND coach...if so...we can back to elite status.

Its gonna take top recruiting..but it seems recruiting has not been our problem even the final years of Holly. I constantly read here how "we have nothing but McDonald's All Americans on this team"....and yet 19-20 wins and quick tourney exits. That's why Holly needed to go. Great talent but no coaching. Hopefully KJH can keep recruiting AND coach...if so...we can back to elite status.

Early in her head coaching career, after a terrible early season loss, I heard Holly said they had not even worked on offense yet, she was more interested in defense....I knew, at that point, it was not going to end well with her as the boss coach....

She was/is a very likable person, but she knew very little about offense, and each following season her teams looked more and more lost on offense.....She was the boss at least 4 years too long.

Kellie seems to know offense....When she gets who she wants here, forget about it.

Different talent scouts (coaches) have different ideas about what looks like a player she/he would like to work with. Over the years, every time there was a "loper" on the team -- someone who lacked lateral quickness, had difficulty creating space for shots, and struggled to guard anyone quicker than a lawn chair -- I would find out later that she was one particular ex-staffer's pick. I won't name names of which coach or which players or which era I'm talking about, but there have been many times when I've been frustrated by seeing that certain "type." Most of the players we've had at Tennessee have been considered excellent athletes, and many considered great outside shooters. But then they got to UT and were a tad too slow to excel. And I reaaaaallllly didn't just type that to start folks listing which players might have fit into these categories. I think y'all are getting my point without having to drag any players or coaches specifically.

All that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what "types" Kellie and her staff are primarily drawn to. Obviously it may take a couple of years before they'll be established enough to get all of the players they'd most like to get, but as time goes on I think a "type" will emerge. And my fervent hope is that they have a soft spot for quick-on-quick, arms waving, feet moving, ball-stealing, fast-sprinting, floor-diving basketball beasts!!!!! :D

The roster has been and continues to be replete with high-profile recruits. We’ve celebrated several recruiting hauls. We need a reprise of blue collar work ethic among our star-quality personnel and a remedy for infectious casualness.

Don’t make me list the myriad players who have sacrificed individualism for the absolute prosperity of the team—players who refused to lose and got themselves better individually for the good of all—and for the aesthetic appeal of the rafters in TBA.

The roster has been and continues to be replete with high-profile recruits. We’ve celebrated several recruiting hauls. We need a reprise of blue collar work ethic among our star-quality personnel and a remedy for infectious casualness.

Don’t make me list the myriad players who have sacrificed individualism for the absolute prosperity of the team—players who refused to lose and got themselves better individually for the good of all—and for the aesthetic appeal of the rafters in TBA.

We do not need any more slow-footed shooter who cannot dribble and defend. Speedy, whom we demonized, should be our standard.

Different talent scouts (coaches) have different ideas about what looks like a player she/he would like to work with. Over the years, every time there was a "loper" on the team -- someone who lacked lateral quickness, had difficulty creating space for shots, and struggled to guard anyone quicker than a lawn chair -- I would find out later that she was one particular ex-staffer's pick. I won't name names of which coach or which players or which era I'm talking about, but there have been many times when I've been frustrated by seeing that certain "type." Most of the players we've had at Tennessee have been considered excellent athletes, and many considered great outside shooters. But then they got to UT and were a tad too slow to excel. And I reaaaaallllly didn't just type that to start folks listing which players might have fit into these categories. I think y'all are getting my point without having to drag any players or coaches specifically.

All that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what "types" Kellie and her staff are primarily drawn to. Obviously it may take a couple of years before they'll be established enough to get all of the players they'd most like to get, but as time goes on I think a "type" will emerge. And my fervent hope is that they have a soft spot for quick-on-quick, arms waving, feet moving, ball-stealing, fast-sprinting, floor-diving basketball beasts!!!!! :D
I don't know lvocd , where did the excellent athletes stop? Let's start here, Deshield, Russell,and Nared, damn ( rate or rank 'em) that should have been your 'ship right there . Next year , almost the same players plus( number one class) Westbrook, Davis, and the quick little player(??). Who was slow in this bunch ? Oh,yeah Holly Warlick and whoever was slow at kicking her assets out TBA. I dont know, we still have Sugar Rea, RD, Jas and the number two player ,Jordan and Ms. Keys . Who among 'em is slow ? You're talking 'bout too slow to excel. Who?
A lot of coaches can go far with this group.. Well, you don't have to worry 'bout one player who couldn't get playing time until Harper or one who leg slowed her down. We need coaches that can strike a match or can fan the flames.
I don't know if it's the players. Two heads aren't better than one something (being coy).
Free Emily.
Free Dean

Hey everyone, one day at a time. Too many variables in life thinking 2, 3, 4 years down the road. Nobody thought the tournaments would have no spectators or the NBA season would be cancelled because of Carina Virus.

I don't know lvocd , where did the excellent athletes stop? Let's start here, Deshield, Russell,and Nared, damn ( rate or rank 'em) that should have been your 'ship right there . Next year , almost the same players plus( number one class) Westbrook, Davis, and the quick little player(??). Who was slow in this bunch ? Oh,yeah Holly Warlick and whoever was slow at kicking her assets out TBA. I dont know, we still have Sugar Rea, RD, Jas and the number two player ,Jordan and Ms. Keys . Who among 'em is slow ? You're talking 'bout too slow to excel. Who?
A lot of coaches can go far with this group.. Well, you don't have to worry 'bout one player who couldn't get playing time until Harper or one who leg slowed her down. We need coaches that can strike a match or can fan the flames.
I don't know if it's the players. Two heads aren't better than one something (being coy).
Free Emily.
Free Dean
Are you talking about Dean Lockwood ???

We might have one of the longest, most athletic rosters in the country. What I'd ike to see is Kellie go out and get a few good shooters with good bball instincts and the ability to protect the ball. If we could add an excellent shooter or two to our current roster, it would add a missing and much needed dimension to this team. If we could increase three point shooting efficiency and cut down on the turnovers this year, the outlook and prospects of this season changes dramatically. One of the skills that I'd need to see from Kellie is her ability to construct a well thought out, well planned and diverse roster. It was something Holly seemed to give little thought to and I think ultimately contributed to her demise. Honestly, it's something that Gino does really well with his rosters at UConn.

We might have one of the longest, most athletic rosters in the country. What I'd ike to see is Kellie go out and get a few good shooters with good bball instincts and the ability to protect the ball. If we could add an excellent shooter or two to our current roster, it would add a missing and much needed dimension to this team. If we could increase three point shooting efficiency and cut down on the turnovers this year, the outlook and prospects of this season changes dramatically. One of the skills that I'd need to see from Kellie is her ability to construct a well thought out, well planned and diverse roster. It was something Holly seemed to give little thought to and I think ultimately contributed to her demise. Honestly, it's something that Gino does really well with his rosters at UConn.
You have to have a good team of players to do that. You're kind of limited if you don't.

Next season, Tess Darby, Destiny Salary, and Zaay Green will improve the guard position....Horston will hopefully have learned, through practice and film study, how not to be so loose with the basketball....

I'm going to stay positive, and hope Kellie has the right stuff....
lsd1colormugharper04178530521956_t400_h1ad3f5614191574eb300562be4bfc2222f99181b.jpg

What do you think Darby is???

Reactions: VolFuture2k22
You need a mixture of athletes and shooters or hopefully a player that is both a superior athlete and shooter. I think on our present roster we have far more athletes that shooters. The only player I would consider a consistent shooter is Davis. If we had five players like Davis we would be SEC Champions this season. Having watched Darby play a few times this year and Salary once I would say that Darby definitely has shooting skills that will be helpful to next years team. Salary seems to be a player that likes to take it into the paint and slash to the basket. I only saw her once in Dyersburg when they played Darby's team. Salary's team was not that great other than her none were very good players.

Early in her head coaching career, after a terrible early season loss, I heard Holly said they had not even worked on offense yet, she was more interested in defense....I knew, at that point, it was not going to end well with her as the boss coach....

She was/is a very likable person, but she knew very little about offense, and each following season her teams looked more and more lost on offense.....She was the boss at least 4 years too long.

Kellie seems to know offense....When she gets who she wants here, forget about it.

Just a quick question GT, I don't think you will end up being wrong, but what gives you so much confidence she will be a very good offensive coach? I ask because the season so far has shown a stout defense and a middling offense plagued by a turnover problem that has persisted. Ill hang up now and listen..

Fair question Rooster....

I've listened to her talk about offense on the radio, and on her TV shows....She talks about how to bust a zone defense, how to take advantage of a tight man to man defense, etc. etc....She likes to talk offense, Holly never did.

Will she be successful, I can only hope so. But, unless she gets the players here, that are basketball players first, and athletes second, she won't be. No coach is very successful without top basketball players...

If she is not successful in three years or so, it will be time to move on....I just hope she has the right stuff to bring in the talent and be a contender again....

Staley's first 3 years at SC were not epic, but she cycled in her type of players, and the SC program got a lot better....Such is the way of life.

Reactions: Enten/Eller
We do have a lot of length, but that length need to get much stronger, faster and become better shooters and defensive players. They also need to get more aggressive on offense and defense. Physically, they still look like high school players competing against grown women. The off season needs to be a real sweat shop.

Reactions: Enten/Eller
We have several players with a huge upside if they decide to work and develop their talents and physical skills is totally up to the individual. I hope next season we'll see that is exactly what has happened.

VN Store

Back