Coach Kellie Harper fired

All the folks who were thrilled with Kellie being fired promised a home run hire. A top five coach who will bring great players with them, someone with ff experience, one that will move the program significantly quickly. All of those folks really seem to be backing off of those claims.
Really, truly, I don't remember all of those claims combined being made by a single person. Could be, if you would remind me. But I'm sure that "all" of the people who thought a change was needed did not promise that entire combined litany of outcomes. It looks like you've collected all the greatest hopes for success, bundled them, and then ascribed them to half of the board or so as a guarantee. DW didn't use the term "home run," either. That would be dumb. It's like you are trying to fire the next coach before they are even hired.

Let's just stay calm and see what happens. Let's hope something good is going to happen.

Last edited:
Really, truly, I don't remember all of those claims combined being made by a single person. Could be, if you would remind me. But I'm sure that "all" of the people who thought a change was needed did not promise that entire combined litany of outcomes. It looks like you've collected all the greatest hopes for success, bundled them, and then ascribed them to half of the board or so. DW didn't use the term "home run," either. That would be dumb. It's like you are trying to fire the next coach before they are even fired.

Let's just stay calm and see what happens. Let's hope something good is going to happen.
Well I do remember a lot of people on here saying that it didn’t matter if we loss recruits because the new coach will be able to get us the top recruits while also making us an instant winner. I’m just sitting back hoping they’re right but my confidence is fading.

When I heard of Harper's firing I also heard that she could have stayed had she changed something with her assistant coaches. If true, there was something behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. Any legs to that story?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When I heard of Harper's firing I also heard that she could have stayed had she changed something with her assistant coaches. If true, there was something behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. Any legs to that story?

That was nonsense started by Maria Cornelius who has since retracted the story. There was no path to returning for CKH.

Last edited:
Oh the back tracking that is occurring!!!!! Makes perfect sense that you are a big fan of the baseball coach, stupid gentleman.
You know nothing about me…just your own fanatical, self-deluded dogma. As with EVERY coach UT hires, I gave Harper my full support and backing…there’s an end to the conversation. Dan White waits for every squawker to get on board with what has to be done it’d never happen. So commence with the background noise…adults are making decisions.

Really, truly, I don't remember all of those claims combined being made by a single person. Could be, if you would remind me. But I'm sure that "all" of the people who thought a change was needed did not promise that entire combined litany of outcomes. It looks like you've collected all the greatest hopes for success, bundled them, and then ascribed them to half of the board or so as a guarantee. DW didn't use the term "home run," either. That would be dumb. It's like you are trying to fire the next coach before they are even hired.

I did not say DW used the term home run at all. Please don’t misquote me. I am also not trying to fire the next coach before they are hired.
My point was the rabble that took such glee in watching a really great person get screwed by her alma mater boasted continuously that DW would make a home run hire. That we would back up the brinks truck at Dawn’s house, that our program would attract coaches who could just snap their fingers and get us to a ff. The cold, hard reality is staring to set in that none of the top 5 or so coaches are coming and that probably the next tier (like a Niel Ivey) aren’t coming here either which leaves us with coaches that, as I researched their record, are pretty much where Kellie was.
So now the goal post moving is starting with well it’s okay we lost two great recruits because it will take you know two or three years blah, blah, blah. Don’t talk all big while dancing on Kellie’s grave and then start backing off about how many coach’s are so superior to Kellie and how easy it will be to get a coach to bring their recruiting class, far superior of course to the horrible players we have. Great kids btw who are great players, students etc who undoubtedly are devastated with this firing. But hey let’s trash Kellie’s recruiting which is trashing our players. I would not blame them if they all left if they lost their beloved coach and then got to hear what horrible recruits they are.
So yes, with all of that I am pointing out a few realities that are dampening the gross party atmosphere on here.
It is unprofessional and disingenuous that you will not disclose your relationship with UTs athletic department.

Hammon has been terrific in the WNBA in terms of Xs and Os (just look at how they won the decisive game 4 of the WNBA finals with Parker, Stokes, and Gray all out injured) and player development (i.e., Jackie Young), but agree that it's hard to know how it would all translate to the college game, not to mention recruiting. Nicki Collen seems to be translating well at Baylor though it's a little early to really say. Stephanie White, on the other hand, really struggled as a college coach but was the WNBA Coach of the Year last year.
She won, but you can win without being great at Xs and Os., so that wasn't actually a response. Would be happy with her, but my first choice would be Fortier. 80% at the college level is 80%. Would feel very much like the Bruce Pearl hire. Or, to sidestep a bit, Urban Meyer to Florida.

She won, but you can win without being great at Xs and Os., so that wasn't actually a response. Would be happy with her, but my first choice would be Fortier. 80% at the college level is 80%. Would feel very much like the Bruce Pearl hire. Or, to sidestep a bit, Urban Meyer to Florida.
I think this is the type of hire we should anticipate.

Something good has already happened. There is hope for the future!

I did not say DW used the term home run at all. Please don’t misquote me. I am also not trying to fire the next coach before they are hired.
My point was the rabble that took such glee in watching a really great person get screwed by her alma mater boasted continuously that DW would make a home run hire. That we would back up the brinks truck at Dawn’s house, that our program would attract coaches who could just snap their fingers and get us to a ff. The cold, hard reality is staring to set in that none of the top 5 or so coaches are coming and that probably the next tier (like a Niel Ivey) aren’t coming here either which leaves us with coaches that, as I researched their record, are pretty much where Kellie was.
So now the goal post moving is starting with well it’s okay we lost two great recruits because it will take you know two or three years blah, blah, blah. Don’t talk all big while dancing on Kellie’s grave and then start backing off about how many coach’s are so superior to Kellie and how easy it will be to get a coach to bring their recruiting class, far superior of course to the horrible players we have. Great kids btw who are great players, students etc who undoubtedly are devastated with this firing. But hey let’s trash Kellie’s recruiting which is trashing our players. I would not blame them if they all left if they lost their beloved coach and then got to hear what horrible recruits they are.
So yes, with all of that I am pointing out a few realities that are dampening the gross party atmosphere on here.
It is unprofessional and disingenuous that you will not disclose your relationship with UTs athletic department.
Preach it Lady!

Reactions: vols90
Holy hell with this narrative that Kellie got screwed. You keep pushing it as if UT owed her a job simply because she graduated from here. You continuously fail to recognize she did not reach the expectations set for her by the administration. Expectations come with employment. A reality you seem unable to grasp.

The big question, IMO, is how much money has DW been allocated to make this hire? He has bosses, too, and they set the budget.

Thanks! I’m not too worried about that group. I loved and supported Kellie and I will love and support the next LV coach…..unless it’s Jeff W!
What is wrong with Jeff Walz that you wouldn't support him (and by extension, the program?) if he ends up being the hire?

One thing I can predict for certain no matter who is hired as coach some of the fans are going to be unhappy.
And completely have the right, as always.

In this case, when you've fired a semi-successful coach and said you're swinging for the fences, you better make a significant move.

If, as I fear, it turns out to be a lateral "maybe she'll be better" hire, everyone can make their own decision how patient they want to be.

And also we should all keep in mind what we say here about it means absolutely nothing except for our own enjoyment.

To speak plainly, it does not matter what fans who are unhappy with the hire will think at this point. This has been the biggest coaching change headline in the last decade. Bigger than Kentucky. Bigger than Baylor. Bigger than LSU. Bigger than Virginia Tech. Bigger than Miami. LSU made a splash hire and is now a Top 10 program nationwide. Their window is closing fast.
When/not if Tennessee announces this hire it’ll set them on a path of prominence for another 15 years. This is bigger than I even saw it being from Day 1. And yes, I have sources that have heard about potential candidates that I won’t reveal on here.

John Adams on YouTube show
Tennessee not getting a top 5 Coach
Geno, Dawn,Tara,Kim,Guy at Texas longhorns V
Are Off limits to Tennessee
Tennessee could get a top 10 coach
If they pay more
All those are his words above this sentence

He said also decision was up to Danny White and two more
All this was said on off the Hock YouTube show
And More was said.

Watch for yourself It's not Danny White Decision alone
Chancellor Donde Plowman
president Randy B.
Other two in hiring decision
Adams said

He also likes Jeff Louisville coach

Last edited:
Another thing, there is no such thing as a Top 5 Coach. In college, as good as the success you establish recruiting from the portal and high school determines your success.
Tennessee is willing to spend to get a coach that will become a Top 5 coach very very soon.

Geno, Dawn,Tara,Kim,Guy at Texas longhorns
If they pay more

And More was said.

I do think it’s important to note they don’t think we could get a top 5 coach because those are the Geno, Tara, and Kim’s of the world who are just unlikely to leave their schools, not that we couldn’t get them because we aren’t willing to spend $$$.

Reactions: krichunaka
Geno, Dawn,Tara,Kim,Guy at Texas longhorns
If they pay more

And More was said.

Gonna speak it into existence…Brenda Frese

There’s no such thing as a Top 5 coach. A successful coach at Tennessee will instantly be labeled as one of the best (i.e Top 5, 3, or 1 depending on their resume in a few years.)
Easy math. They are making talking points for viewers. No fault in it

Geno, Dawn,Tara,Kim,Guy at Texas longhorns V
If they pay more

And More was said.

Chancellor Donde Plowman
president Randy B.
Other two in hiring decision
Adams said

He also likes Jeff Louisville coach

John Adams is a numbskull. Don’t buy into any of that mud.

White is going to hire the best person for the job and yes, I do think at least one of the top 5 coaches is in play for the right amount of $$$.

And yes there will be a hiring committee but the AD will have the final say. I’ve been on these hiring committees before. There will be a committee that generally includes AD admin, UT admin, BoT, regents and current players. All input will be considered but the AD will make the final call. It is not a voting process.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back