Coach Kellie Harper fired

Neither Rick Barnes or DW is part of the UT family. Neither are as devoted to the school as an alumnus like Kellie. RB would be at UCLA if the money had been right and DW is just an employee. If DW got a better offer he would be gone in a split second. I wouldn’t blame him for that. He has no ties to UT other than a check.
As far as baseball I do not keep up with it. Watching paint dry for four hours is the equivalent. I was certainly incorrect on when the baseball coach was hired. He only showed up on my radar when he was on ESPN getting tossed out of games and his players were giving opponent’s fans the middle finger. Great look for the university.
Regarding Pat another one of her wonderful traits was loyalty to her players. If you think she would have supported firing Kellie at this juncture you actually don’t know squat about Pat.
I agree on the buy in…

Was an utter embarrassment when our 70 year old coach was playing the field for more money

And true ADs are a dime a dozen you pray for 10-15 years of stability.

I’m sure he knows countless uneducated rednecks like you who have never met him also post ill-fated jargon like this on message boards all the time. He’s also the kind that will laugh it off and buy you a drink if you ever have the balls to say something like that to his face, because he doesn’t give a $hit what you think, and neither do I.

Whew! For a minute there, I was afraid I'd get fined some NIL money.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
All I'm asking is for some positive forward momentum out of the gate in this year's portal. And continue from there.

I think this problem takes care of itself bc no one is coming here that doesn't think they can build up next season's roster pretty significantly, either thru bringing players or buying them out of the portal
All the folks who were thrilled with Kellie being fired promised a home run hire. A top five coach who will bring great players with them, someone with ff experience, one that will move the program significantly quickly. All of those folks really seem to be backing off of those claims.

All the folks who were thrilled with Kellie being fired promised a home run hire. A top five coach who will bring great players with them, someone with ff experience, one that will move the program significantly quickly. All of those folks really seem to be backing off of those claims.
You win. Shuttering the program and going intramural. 😔

Reactions: Orange.
That’s the expectation…

Anything less is bad. Even if I do like JR Payne or Fortiner

Hammond, Walz, Gottlieb, Dawn, Close, lesser Vic and Wes or it’s wild

Wonder what everyone’s opinion of Felicia LJ from the Cuse

Thanks! I’m not too worried about that group. I loved and supported Kellie and I will love and support the next LV coach…..unless it’s Jeff W!
Lol.
So you say Kellie was moving the program forward but you’d hate a coach with 3 final 4 ‘s.

This is simply incorrect and needless catastrophizing. It is an effort -- with or without self-awareness -- to undermine LV fan support of White (which is a major long-term negative) and to panic LV fans (which is a short-term negative and an ugly thing to do, with the potential for long-term damage). I don't think Pat would counsel panic or catastrophizing.

Here is DW's Tennessee record to this minute. Post-covid = the DW era at UT. And notice this is for all sports. The "everything mantra" is real.

If you follow sports, or when you are more calm, you know that recruits announce that their commitments are reopened every time a coach search commences. There is nothing specific to UT here. They have to be re-recruited. They often but not always do sign with the new coach. Moreover, commitments can change at any time preceding signing day, whoever is the coach. Recruiting never stops.

Also, given the portal, which I think is a big net plus for the LVs (Rickea Jackson) and will get bigger, coaches have to re-recruit their own rosters every year. In addition to identifying and recruiting new talent from other schools.

Now, typically, a new coach does get a first-year recruiting bump and all LV supporters should be hoping for that and excited at that potential outcome. But it doesn't happen in two days.

And NIL donations are expected to pick up with the fresh start. I hope you are a small donor. I see too many people in all the forums claim that small donors don't count. They add up. And the numbers are used to indicate fan support.

Once again I am going to say this poster is an employee of the athletic department. I find it very unprofessional that you are on here spouting the company line while not identifying you lack of independence.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Team Walz ✋ at worst

He said he’s retiring at Louisville tho
Yeah, he may mean that. IDK. Gotlieb is my choice (of realistic options) but I’ve been team Walz for years and it’s beyond dumb Fulmer wouldn’t even interview him.
I think it’s hilarious some on here hate Walz so much. I don’t get it.

Reactions: VolFuture
Yes, Jeff Walz is a class S jerk.
I don’t know the man personally. I don’t care if he gets us to final 4’s again. I’m not voting for homecoming Queen or king.
I like Kellie as much as everyone else(and I don’t rejoice in her ouster, though I understand it), but I’ll take a jerk(I don’t know that he is, but assuming you’re right) who is getting the program back where it should be over a nice person who isn’t competing for titles. You mentioned Pat’s legacy. Pat wanted to win championships. Everything she put into this program deserves to be honored by competing for championships. One of the most commonly shared video clips from the locker room was her telling her team “I want to win a national championship!”

Last edited:
Truly disappointed with this decision. Kellie deserved at least one more year. She is a class act and brought in a team of exemplary student athletes. I never worried about how Kellie, her staff or the team would represent my alma mater.

DW has shown himself to be weak and subject to which way the wind blows. He brought in a baseball coach that is an embarrassment to the university. That program is now known for vulgarity, poor sportsmanship and generally being a bunch of punks. I am tremendously concerned that the tradition Pat established of a national contender AND a class program is headed for the ash heap.

Just very sorry for a good person, good coach who has been treated unfairly by someone who isn’t even a member of the UT family.

I will continue to support the Lady Vols through thick and thin. I will hope for a new coach we can be proud of but now have significant doubts about DW’s judgment. A very sad day for UT WBB.
Not even good trolling.

Neither Rick Barnes or DW is part of the UT family. Neither are as devoted to the school as an alumnus like Kellie. RB would be at UCLA if the money had been right and DW is just an employee. If DW got a better offer he would be gone in a split second. I wouldn’t blame him for that. He has no ties to UT other than a check.
As far as baseball I do not keep up with it. Watching paint dry for four hours is the equivalent. I was certainly incorrect on when the baseball coach was hired. He only showed up on my radar when he was on ESPN getting tossed out of games and his players were giving opponent’s fans the middle finger. Great look for the university.
Regarding Pat another one of her wonderful traits was loyalty to her players. If you think she would have supported firing Kellie at this juncture you actually don’t know squat about Pat.
RJ came back to be an employee, didn’t need the WNBA pay cut. You didn’t mind that.

Georgia? Eastern division championship?
I like Heupel a lot. But how long should we be happy finishing second/third in division?
As long as we keep making the playoff consistency. Your following doesn’t condone whataboutism, they frown upon it but here you are making it uncomfortable for their like button following.

I know many of you don't like John Adams, but a nice video here about "What does Lady Vols firing Kellie Harper say about Danny White?"

Says Tennessee will pay whatever it takes to hire a quality coach.

DW: The LVs are "an iconic program."

Top leadership wants this return to glory to happen. We're the bluest of the bluebloods in WBB. We need to claim our "birthright."

Last edited:
This is a tough question for the grave dancers because they know none of them will be coming to Knoxville.
All the cheering that Kellie was fired and DW was going to bring in a home run hire. I really hope he does but what I fear will be at best a B level coach. That won’t matter to many on here as the goal posts will be miraculously moved.
A B coach is still better than Kellie she was at best a C- couldn’t recruit and had no in game adjustments and never held her players accountable for not hustling that’s what I hated most about her coaching the lack of hustle

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants

VN Store

Back