Coach K

Tennessee’s record against Coach K: 2-1 (one win when he was Army’s coach). Scheduling a game against them during the last several years was almost impossible; Coach K simply didn’t schedule home & home games with opponents.

He could want to do it at the beginning of the recruiting cycle rather than leaving his commits high and dry, which he said himself. Not saying it’s necessarily that, but there are definitely more reasons than just a farewell tour
Maybe, did he tell this last class that was signed a couple of months ago, because I doubt, if he had, it would have been leaked way before now, imo

Maybe, did he tell this last class that was signed a couple of months ago, because I doubt, if he had, it would have been leaked way before now, imo

This class gets to play for him anyway, and is mostly one-and-dones, but the high school Class of 2022 would be most affected IMO because he’d be leaving right after they signed (and likely after they had been committed to Duke for months). Now they know it’s coming.

Wow...at 74, you knew it was just a matter of time, but still somehow comes as a bit of a surprise.
Free agency will have a lot of these older coaches thinking about fairways instead of hardwoods. Frankly, I'm shocked Barnes hasn't walked away yet. It's bad enough to kiss these 18 year old's arses in recruiting but when it never ends....to hell with that.

Free agency will have a lot of these older coaches thinking about fairways instead of hardwoods. Frankly, I'm shocked Barnes hasn't walked away yet. It's bad enough to kiss these 18 year old's arses in recruiting but when it never ends....to hell with that.

True.

Reactions: ArdentVol
If UT hired Coach K in the late 70s instead of Devoe and won 5 titles over 4 decades would your opinion still be the same of Coach K? He transformed Duke into a basketball powerhouse and essentially averaged a NC every 8 years. I don’t believe Duke was considered a household name in college hoops before he arrived. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Tennessee was 2-1 against Coach K and DeVoe won against Coach K when he coached UT as did Mears. Coach K beat Martin.

When you consider Wooden teams played when the NCAA field of 32 had only 1 or 2 possibly legitimate contenders every year (only had to win 4 games) vs. Duke having to win 6 straight games in a field of 64 with increasing parity across the country through the years, 5 titles is not what I would call underachieving.

We currently play in the weakest era of NCAA basketball ever. Back then players with 1 and done talent stayed 3-4 years. Those Wooden teams would laugh their way through the field of 64, any field of 64, post 2000. Probably even before then. There were quite a few runner up/Final Four teams from that era that would too.

I honestly believe in this setting our 1975-76 team would go unbeaten most years. Elite veteran NBA talent used to be spread across cbb but it's virtually non-existent now.

We currently play in the weakest era of NCAA basketball ever. Back then players with 1 and done talent stayed 3-4 years. Those Wooden teams would laugh their way through the field of 64, any field of 64, post 2000. Probably even before then. There were quite a few runner up/Final Four teams from that era that would too.

I honestly believe in this setting our 1975-76 team would go unbeaten most years. Elite veteran NBA talent used to be spread across cbb but it's virtually non-existent now.

And that’s a very good thing. That “elite veteran NBA talent” is now being compensated accordingly.

I don't disagree, but saying past NCAA fields lacked quality depth is the exact opposite of reality.

I don’t disagree with that either, but Wooden had it much easier than K did. Most of that elite talent staying four years was on his team, even the NBA-quality backups who didn’t want to transfer because they were getting free cars

I don’t disagree with that either, but Wooden had it much easier than K did. Most of that elite talent staying four years was on his team, even the NBA-quality backups who didn’t want to transfer because they were getting free cars

The talent stayed every where then. It was rare for anyone to leave before their junior season. UCLA just cheated with abandon while the NCAA turned a blind eye. Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Duke have also enjoyed nice long periods of cheating. Out of all the elite coaches I believe Bobby Knight probably cheated the least but he may have been just as bad as the rest. I do think that on game day he was the best coach of the bunch.

He could want to do it at the beginning of the recruiting cycle rather than leaving his commits high and dry, which he said himself. Not saying it’s necessarily that, but there are definitely more reasons than just a farewell tour

Yeah, I agree with that. This way, recruits know who their coach will actually be and the ones recruited won't hit the transfer portal later when they would have found out K was leaving. There's a continuity flow rather than a coaching search after the season. I think they did it well.

Tennessee was 2-1 against Coach K and DeVoe won against Coach K when he coached UT as did Mears. Coach K beat Martin.
anybody rememberi it K came to knoxville with that West Point team under Bobby Knight
seemslike i can remember the general assaulting a folding chair

Winning 5 titles when there are 300+ teams you compete with to do it is pretty impressive IMO

Who has more during his tenure?
Five titles are extremely impressive but let's face it, 300 teams are not in the hunt. It's more like 30 programs or so that are actually capable of winning a championship.

Five titles are extremely impressive but let's face it, 300 teams are not in the hunt. It's more like 30 programs or so that are actually capable of winning a championship.

Nearly 100 different teams have been in Final Fours. Maybe more like 50 or 55 are contenders to win 6 in a row. 11 seeds have been in 2 of the last 3 FFs.

VN Store

Back