Coach K has learned recipe for success

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
Coach K is 42...The same age Pat was when I met her.
They share an important trait..
Pat was serious when on the court and had "presence" when off the court.
Kellie was a a Sophomore on Pat's team that year.

CPS kept the focus on herself and off of her players so they could concentrate on basketball
She understood a very important concept in Women's basketball,,,The Coach has to have the strongest personality, the strongest will, the strongest presence, the strongest influence, the highest visibility and a heart of gold. The coach has to take the spotlight and keep it, only giving it to athletes during periods they deserved the attention,,,otherwise, it has to be on the coach!

Kellie is doing this now with these vids
Video: Tee Martin, Kellie Harper Bond and Reminisce Over the 90s | RTI
...keeping the attention and focus on herself while using the trip abroad to get some valuable court time. There is no TV coverage, no internet coverage, so she can train and play in a virtual "bubble"

Way to go Kiddo
This is the recipe for success.
Kellie will succeed because she not only was influenced by the great coach Pat Summitt,,,she let her be "the example"

I feel very confident in Coach KJH
And I haven't felt that particular feeling
for a decade

BTW,,,as far as I know, the only way to get updates at all for these games will be the LV twitter page...I was told they will post updates there

I like it.…"Coach K",,,it has a proven ring to it

Sorry, Jump, but as I’ve said before, I hope that nickname DOESN’T catch on. The fact that there is already a wildly famous, active hall-of-fame MEN’S coach affectionately known in the MEN’S game as “Coach K,” does it really do Kellie any favors to continue to try to convince people that calling her the same name is a good idea?

I think not.

Why not just call her Kellie? Or Coach Harper? Or Coach KJH? It just rubs me the wrong way to read “Coach K” in reference to Kellie Harper because “Coach K” is at Duke.

Our coach doesn’t need to be the second ANYthing.

Sorry, Jump, but as I’ve said before, I hope that nickname DOESN’T catch on. The fact that there is already a wildly famous, active hall-of-fame MEN’S coach affectionately known in the MEN’S game as “Coach K,” does it really do Kellie any favors to continue to try to convince people that calling her the same name is a good idea?

I think not.

Why not just call her Kellie? Or Coach Harper? Or Coach KJH? It just rubs me the wrong way to read “Coach K” in reference to Kellie Harper because “Coach K” is at Duke.

Everyone has their own special issues..lol

Everyone has their own special issues..lol

Why in the world would anyone want to inhibit the notoriety of our uniquely fabulous alum Kellie Jolly Harper by saddling her with a second-hand nickname from someone who’s been a household name for 30–plus years elsewhere?

Remember how adamant Pat Summitt was in rejecting the idea that coaching men would have been a “step up” for her? Well, just imagine how she would have felt knowing that the Lady Vol fanbase couldn’t come up with a better way to address their female coach than to call her a name made famous by one of her male colleagues.

Think, people. Pat would gag at the thought of Kellie being “Coach K.”

Why in the world would anyone want to inhibit the notoriety of our uniquely fabulous alum Kellie Jolly Harper by saddling her with a second-hand nickname from someone who’s been a household name for 30–plus years elsewhere?

Remember how adamant Pat Summitt was in rejecting the idea that coaching men would have been a “step up” for her? Well, just imagine how she would have felt knowing that the Lady Vol fanbase couldn’t come up with a better way to address their female coach than to call her a name made famous by one of her male colleagues.

Think, people. Pat would gag at the thought of Kellie being “Coach K.”

Coach K
At least her name has a hard K sound,,,not coach shishevski

Besides, a rose by any other name, ,,,

Last edited:

I think not.

Though, I highly doubt that our coach would want to be yet another “Coach K,” it might be proper and fitting to first ask Coach Kellie Jolly-Harper.
As I recall, The Great One had her players call her “Pat;” so it’s likely that Coach Harper’s players will address her as “Kellie.”
For interviews, the media will probably refer to “Coach Harper,” or just “Coach.”

"Ahh, ya doesn't has to call me Coach K! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Coach K."

[Double points for OOOOHLD timers or trivia buffs who recognize the pop culture inspiration]

But if we want to go down this route (as a purely speculative exercise), let us recall that the original "Coach K" is NOT "Coach M" (as in Mike). So, Kellie Harper would actually be canonized as "Coach H." That designation does not have the "ring" of "Coach K" because we have been hearing that moniker for decades so give Caoch H a little time to grow on ya!

I personally like Coach KH or Coach KJH if we she wants to full monty on her initials. Per Krichunaka's post, I too am betting that she follows Summitt's model and has her players call her Kellie or Coach Kellie.

But what I am really hoping is that in a few years, the sports media will refer to her as "the best coach in WCBB."

"Ahh, ya doesn't has to call me Coach K! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Coach K."

[Double points for OOOOHLD timers or trivia buffs who recognize the pop culture inspiration]

But if we want to go down this route (as a purely speculative exercise), let us recall that the original "Coach K" is NOT "Coach M" (as in Mike). So, Kellie Harper would actually be canonized as "Coach H." That designation does not have the "ring" of "Coach K" because we have been hearing that moniker for decades so give Caoch H a little time to grow on ya!

I personally like Coach KH or Coach KJH if we she wants to full monty on her initials. Per Krichunaka's post, I too am betting that she follows Summitt's model and has her players call her Kellie or Coach Kellie.

But what I am really hoping is that in a few years, the sports media will refer to her as "the best coach in WCBB."

Caveat: The copy/paste skills of this OOOOHLD timer could leave even the most astute of surfers dangling from the precipice of cyberspace.

“Coach H” could take some getting used to, but it does present a more honest and “Natural” tone.
Thanks, Madtownvol, for the stroll down memory lane.

On my posts, she is "Coach K"

As CC Colton once said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... I give Coach K a name she has to live up to.
When I meet coach K and she asks me to do otherwise, then, I shall.
Until then, "Go girl!"

I totally get you now, Jumper. You are an “alpha male” so, in your mind, if Kellie lives up to the standard set by a successful man, then she will have arrived.

Yuck.

I don’t want the coach who will follow in the footsteps of the most powerfully female-positive coach to ever live to aspire to be the SECOND “Coach K,” a famous male. Why would you (or anybody) want her to always be spoken of as the female version of a male coach, only 30 years behind him?

I get that he has been wildly successful and that you are wanting Kellie to aspire to be equally successful. But if she gets tagged as “Coach K,” every on-air conversation about her will eventually come around to mentioning that she’s not the original, and then the next precious minute will be spent talking about what a MAN did in the MEN’S game.

Again, YUCK.

Last edited:
I totally get you now, Jumper. You are an “alpha male” so, in our mind, if Kellie lives up to the standard set by a successful man, then she will have arrived.

Yuck.

I don’t want the coach who will follow in the footsteps of the most powerfully female-positive coach to ever live to aspire to be the SECOND “Coach K,” a famous male. Why would you (or anybody) want her to always be spoken of as the female version of a male coach, only 30 years behind him?

I get that he has been wildly successful and that you are wanting Kellie to aspire to be equally successful. But if she gets tagged as “Coach K,” every on-air conversation about her will eventually come around to mentioning that she’s not the original, and then the next precious minute will be spent talking about what a MAN did in the MEN’S game.

Again, YUCK.

😂 I mean if that’s the case why not call her the “Wiz of Knoxville” if she is going to aspire to be a successful coach why not shoot for Wooden who won 12 NCAA titles! Why name her after the guy who won 4 titles and not after the one who won 12? I get what you are saying though she is at THE university that fought to make sure women’s basketball it’s own thing.

I like KJ myself but I know some of her players are calling her Kellie from interviews. I mean I see a smile from the videos posted and also keep up with Mrs. Horston and she posted something stating that Jordan received a text from a teammate, had dinner with alumns, and truly felt God had led her to stay with TN and she truly made the right choice! It was cool to see that and she mentioned how wonderful the staff was! I am glad to see the staff pushing these young ladies and them understanding this is for their betterment and not complaining!

The name she will be known nationally as, will be Kellie...
So let it be written...So let it be done....

Sorry Jumper...It's your right to call her whatever you want, but coach K has already been taken...He owns that title.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I totally get you now, Jumper. You are an “alpha male” so, in your mind, if Kellie lives up to the standard set by a successful man, then she will have arrived.....

😂 I mean if that’s the case why not call her the “Wiz of Knoxville” if she is going to aspire to be a successful coach why not shoot for Wooden who won 12 NCAA titles! Why name her after the guy who won 4 titles and not after the one who won 12? I get what you are saying though she is at THE university that fought to make sure women’s basketball it’s own thing.....

The name she will be known nationally as, will be Kellie...
So let it be written...So let it be done....
Sorry Jumper...It's your right to call her whatever you want, but coach K has already been taken...He owns that title.

Wow, I didn't intend on this tread becoming the "what's her nickname" gonna be thread...but since it has

To me she's coach K,,,as a player I knew of her as "KJ" or "Kellie Jollee"
I am sure others referenced her as :
Kelly J
or maybe Like Hawkeye did for BJ (BeeeJJJ)" lets put K and J together and call her "Kage"
or maybe, "Jolls"

There are mane ways for all of you (and me) to reference our good coach
Most often when I meet someone in person, I ask them what they want to be called
and then I call them by the name they tell me

Coach K and I will meet up at some point
Then, I will tell her of this dilema
Till then,
To you guys and gals she can be:
` Kellie? Or Coach Harper? Or Coach KJH
`our uniquely fabulous alum Kellie Jolly Harper
`ask Coach Kellie Jolly-Harper
`"Coach M" (as in Mike). So, Kellie Harper would actually be canonized as "Coach H."
`I personally like Coach KH or Coach KJH
`“Coach H” could take some getting used to,
`You are an “alpha male” so, in your mind, if Kellie
`why not call her the “Wiz of Knoxville”
`The name she will be known nationally as, will be Kellie.

For me, I will k.i.s.s. and keep it simply simple
I will call her Coach K

Kellie has transitioned right in front of me
I saw her play as a Soph and JR for a legend
And now she is coaching at the UT

That is surreal folks
I see "Pat" in her.
She doesn't fear the camera or spotlight
She is tough on the court
She wins equal to and exceeds with the talent she is given
She sees her role as a teacher
These are CPS types of things
I see this in the videos

Can't wait to see it on court
Nope,,
No male dominance, alpha comparison overtone or undertone intended here
Just
"Coach J" calling another coach, "Coach K"

Reactions: EarlVolFan
Fun discussion (including Coach Jump's more serious analysis of Kellie's coaching attributes).

After giving. It a little more thought, I agree with keeping it simple with the ultimate goal of having her join the ranks of those who have risen to the top to the point of universal first-name recognition.

Pat.
Tara.
Geno.
Muffet.

Kellie.

VN Store

Back