Coach Joe Osovet

Vol Main

This guy almost seemed like a splash hire when he came to Pruitt's staff as QC. At the time, I wondered if he would eventually be promoted up to OC, but maybe that wasn't to be, because he hadn't coached for any of the bigs. He'd put up impressive numbers at CCs and seemed to be highly respected for his innovative offense, but the resume' was less than killer.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-osovet-boltoffense

Last edited:
Then why the two weeks of suspense? He is clearly trying to find someone else and other teams are really coveting him

That’s fair. I want someone with creativity who is a good leader of men. I’ve never felt like experience on a big stage is very important, but I’m admittedly in the minority on that. Guess I just think football is football

And you may be right. I may be completely wrong about Osovet. He could be a great OC for us. And if we were a smaller school in a much easier conference, then I would likely not question his hire. I just feel that in the SEC, we need someone who has experience calling plays in a big setting in a big time conference.

And you may be right. I may be completely wrong about Osovet. He could be a great OC for us. And if we were a smaller school in a much easier conference, then I would likely not question his hire. I just feel that in the SEC, we need someone who has experience calling plays in a big setting in a big time conference.
In before Yurcich was found in the dumps

Reactions: GBO119
He is supposedly an expert on rpo plays designed to gain big yardage. He is highly respected for this and before coming to Tennessee had coaches coming to him in the off season to see his system and get advice in that area.
He also was said to have spent some time with Art Briles learning about his system. Could possibly be a connection of some sort to Kendal Briles or Jeff Lebby. Of course this is pure speculation on my part based on them interviewing.

He is supposedly an expert on rpo plays designed to gain big yardage. He is highly respected for this and before coming to Tennessee had coaches coming to him in the off season to see his system and get advice in that area.
Do you think Pruitt would allow him to run RPOs?

He's got to marinade a little longer in the world of SEC
This guy almost seemed like a splash hire when he came to Pruitt's staff as QC. At the time, I wondered if he would eventually be promoted up to OC, but maybe that wasn't to be, because he hadn't coached for any of the bigs. He'd put up impressive numbers and seemed to be highly respected, but the resume' wasn't killer.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-osovet-boltoffense

Reactions: Vol Main
College experience in a big time conferece. How about you?

Yurcich would fit you then. Enos too, to a much lesser degree. Not sure how many other p5 OCs are open. Lindsey was, until he wasn't, as was Freeze.

Some have also mentioned Fedora, so he's an option up your alley.

I think it is so much more than play calling that makes an OC or DC poor, good or great. How they run their practices, teach their technique and teach their schemes and how they manage their practice time is more important than game day play calling. However the best conference with the most money (outside of the NFL) has coaches who not only manage their practice time well, teach their schemes and techniques well but they also are great game day coaches.

This is why IMO that a proven Power 5 guy should be hired.

Osovet has the makings of a great coach and I would bet he has a lot of the skills needed to succeed. However, he hasn't been proven against the best coaches with the best athletes and I'm of the opinion he shouldn't get his training here at Tennessee.

Yurcich would fit you then. Enos too, to a much lesser degree. Not sure how many other p5 OCs are open. Lindsey was, until he wasn't, as was Freeze.

Some have also mentioned Fedora, so he's an option up your alley.

Yurcih would be a good get IMO.

But why are we limited? I would think proven OC's at the football powerhouse schools couldn't be swayed to come here. But without researching it, i would think with the right offer we should be able to pull a guy from another school that has had some recent success. It might take a little more money than we want to pay or more freedom to manage his practice that CJP likes or maybe a coach would have to come with him. But this can be a good hire with the right incentive.

I think it is so much more than play calling that makes an OC or DC poor, good or great. How they run their practices, teach their technique and teach their schemes and how they manage their practice time is more important than game day play calling. However the best conference with the most money (outside of the NFL) has coaches who not only manage their practice time well, teach their schemes and techniques well but they also are great game day coaches.

This is why IMO that a proven Power 5 guy should be hired.

But what makes us think those guys are in p5 more than elsewhere? Besides, every guy has to become a p5 oc somehow, either as a position coach (detested by fans) or as a lower level coach (detested by fans). Meanwhile, you greatly limit your options..on an unfounded principle. You put "names" over true innovation and a wider net of options.

This has been the common NFL mentality for a long time and meanwhile they have trailed innovation consistently by 5 or more years. It has taken risktakers to break the mold and bring the NFL into a higher scoring league.

Reactions: SCRocket

VN Store

Back