Coach Heupel Offense Stat Rankings

The very good defenses are still a little stingier than that. The best gave up between 15-20 points per game in 2020:
  • Northwestern, 143 points given up over 9 games, average 15.9 per game
  • Iowa, 128 points surrendered in 8 games, average 16.0 per game
  • Wisconsin, 122 points given up over 7 games, average 17.4 per game
  • Bama, 252 points surrendered in 13 games, average 19.4 per game <--- national champs and SEC champs
  • Notre Dame, 236 points allowed over 12 games, average 19.7 per game
  • Georgia, 200 points given up in 10 games, average 20.0 per game
  • Clemson, 242 points surrendered over 12 games, average 20.2 per game <-- ACC champs
  • Indiana, allowed 162 points in 8 games, average 20.3 per game
  • West Virginia, 205 points given in 10 games, average 20.5 per game
That's 9 teams out of the 65 in Power 5 college football. Includes the national champion and two of the five conference champs. The other three P5 conference champs were Oklahoma (allowed 21.7 ppg), Ohio State (25.8 ppg) and Oregon (28.3).

So yeah, still some defenses holding their opponents to less than three TDs (or equivalent) per game. And defense still plays a big part in winning championships. Except in the PAC, of course. Heh.

WV employed DC by committee.

Defensive Coaching Staff Changes Announced - West Virginia University Athletics

Understand where I'm coming from. I played on a defense that gave up 8 pts/game(80 pts in 10 games, and Oak Ridge scored 24 of those), and less than 200 yds of total offense/game. It wasn't that long ago, that we witnessed a defense that did not allow their opponent over mid-field, in the NC game. I grew up watching The Steelers stone offenses to a halt. In my time, 20 pts /game was below mediocre defense. But, I understand that times have changed, with the hurry-up offense, the RPO, etc.
Again, 4-5 stops a game, plus turnovers. Play stingy inside your own 20. Surrender FG's, and score Td's.
In 2017, NCAA football teams all together averaged above 30 points per team per game for the first time.

Seventeen years before that, in 2000, average scoring passed 26 points for the first time.

And about 30 years prior to that, somewhere in the early 1970s, average scoring went above 20 points per team for good (it had snuck above 20 for a year or two around 1950, but then dropped back down for a couple of decades).

So I feel ya, we are scoring more these days than we ever did before. But it's not night and day different. Not enough different that defense can't any longer hold opponents down and win championships. Those nine teams I listed above proved it can still be done, and is still being done, by the best defenses, most of the time.

And yet there are the outlier games, where even the very good defenses suddenly, for a single game, give up 40+ points. Like Bama allowed Florida in the SEC championship game this past season.

So yeah, I get you. The advantages continue to accrue more and more to the offenses, both because of rule changes and because offensive scheming and athleticism have stolen a march on their defensive counterparts.

I just think it's early to declare the Big D formally dead in college football. It's still kicking, in places.

I like those stats, “but SEC” is a legit concern. Which is why we gotta nail the DC position. I think offensively we will be fine. Keeping others from scoring is where I’m more leery of potential success.

I agree somewhat but with the rules now favoring the offense, teams have to take advantage of that. Tenn currently isn’t going to compete for a championship, so upsets are what fans can hope for. One thing to remember is, every team that has beaten Ala in the last decade has out offense them. None have out defensed them. This next season may not result in an SECe title, but I definitely think they will upset one of the 3 biggies!!!

VN Store

Back