Coach Heupel Offense Stat Rankings

Defense wins championships.....not XBox video game offenses.
Defense hasn’t won a natty in years at this point. It can win you a Super Bowl, although I think the days of teams like the early 2000’s ravens are over. You have to have a guy that’s way more dynamic than say a Trent Dilfer. It’s just the way the game is going.

Ill take them stats all day. Now lets get a great d-cordinator and start moving in the right direction for once. Im just wondering how fast he can turn this slower offense into a up tempo.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolnJC
I like those stats, “but SEC” is a legit concern. Which is why we gotta nail the DC position. I think offensively we will be fine. Keeping others from scoring is where I’m more leery of potential success.
With Luck at Mizzou, he avg 27 ppg in 2 years against P5. 22 ppg against SEC year one but that went up year two to 29 ppg against P5. The league is much more offensively friendly now. He will avg over 30 in the SEC. Just need a defense on the days the offense doesn’t click to slow the other team to give a shot at the W.

With Luck at Mizzou, he avg 27 ppg in 2 years against P5. 22 ppg against SEC year one but that went up year two to 29 ppg against P5. The league is much more offensively friendly now. He will avg over 30 in the SEC. Just need a defense on the days the offense doesn’t click to slow the other team to give a shot at the W.
Am I the only one whe find it odd that everyone forgot he was at Missouri and ran a pretty successful offense there ? 🤔 Missouri is in the SEC right? If I recall they spanked our a$$ pretty good a time or two ! Maybe I am just dreaming this sh!t up IDK

Am I the only one whe find it odd that everyone forgot he was at Missouri and ran a pretty successful offense there ? 🤔 Missouri is in the SEC right? If I recall they spanked our a$$ pretty good a time or two ! Maybe I am just dreaming this sh!t up IDK
End of the 2nd season, their offense was rolling, did score 50 on UT but also scored 45 on Florida.

If your definition of defense is "Making roughly 4-5 stops a game, forcing to's, and giving up fg's, instead of td's. then yes. A very good defense will give up 24-30 pts/game, these days.

Yes sir. This ain't your Daddy's or Granddaddy's football anymore.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ratvol and JK Vol
If your definition of defense is "Making roughly 4-5 stops a game, forcing to's, and giving up fg's, instead of td's. then yes. A very good defense will give up 24-30 pts/game, these days.
The very good defenses are still a little stingier than that. The best gave up between 15-20 points per game in 2020:
  • Northwestern, 143 points given up over 9 games, average 15.9 per game
  • Iowa, 128 points surrendered in 8 games, average 16.0 per game
  • Wisconsin, 122 points given up over 7 games, average 17.4 per game
  • Bama, 252 points surrendered in 13 games, average 19.4 per game <--- national champs and SEC champs
  • Notre Dame, 236 points allowed over 12 games, average 19.7 per game
  • Georgia, 200 points given up in 10 games, average 20.0 per game
  • Clemson, 242 points surrendered over 12 games, average 20.2 per game <-- ACC champs
  • Indiana, allowed 162 points in 8 games, average 20.3 per game
  • West Virginia, 205 points given in 10 games, average 20.5 per game
That's 9 teams out of the 65 in Power 5 college football. Includes the national champion and two of the five conference champs. The other three P5 conference champs were Oklahoma (allowed 21.7 ppg), Ohio State (25.8 ppg) and Oregon (28.3).

So yeah, still some defenses holding their opponents to less than three TDs (or equivalent) per game. And defense still plays a big part in winning championships. Except in the PAC, of course. Heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDave
I like those stats, “but SEC” is a legit concern. Which is why we gotta nail the DC position. I think offensively we will be fine. Keeping others from scoring is where I’m more leery of potential success.

He has done it in the SEC. When he was the OC at Mizzou they put up lots of yards and points. We were the victim of a few of those.

Exactly! I've made that point a few times myself. His offense has put up points everywhere he's been.

He has done it in the SEC. When he was the OC at Mizzou they put up lots of yards and points. We were the victim of a few of those.
Right, but he wasn’t the head coach in charge of hiring and managing a competent defense. He is now. I’m not worried about his ability to produce offense.

Did neither past 3 seasons...scratch that...4.

Reactions: supersmo18
The very good defenses are still a little stingier than that. The best gave up between 15-20 points per game in 2020:
  • Northwestern, 143 points given up over 9 games, average 15.9 per game
  • Iowa, 128 points surrendered in 8 games, average 16.0 per game
  • Wisconsin, 122 points given up over 7 games, average 17.4 per game
  • Bama, 252 points surrendered in 13 games, average 19.4 per game <--- national champs and SEC champs
  • Notre Dame, 236 points allowed over 12 games, average 19.7 per game
  • Georgia, 200 points given up in 10 games, average 20.0 per game
  • Clemson, 242 points surrendered over 12 games, average 20.2 per game <-- ACC champs
  • Indiana, allowed 162 points in 8 games, average 20.3 per game
  • West Virginia, 205 points given in 10 games, average 20.5 per game
That's 9 teams out of the 65 in Power 5 college football. Includes the national champion and two of the five conference champs. The other three P5 conference champs were Oklahoma (allowed 21.7 ppg), Ohio State (25.8 ppg) and Oregon (28.3).

So yeah, still some defenses holding their opponents to less than three TDs (or equivalent) per game. And defense still plays a big part in winning championships. Except in the PAC, of course. Heh.

Understand where I'm coming from. I played on a defense that gave up 8 pts/game(80 pts in 10 games, and Oak Ridge scored 24 of those), and less than 200 yds of total offense/game. It wasn't that long ago, that we witnessed a defense that did not allow their opponent over mid-field, in the NC game. I grew up watching The Steelers stone offenses to a halt. In my time, 20 pts /game was below mediocre defense. But, I understand that times have changed, with the hurry-up offense, the RPO, etc.
Again, 4-5 stops a game, plus turnovers. Play stingy inside your own 20. Surrender FG's, and score Td's.

Defense hasn’t won a natty in years at this point. It can win you a Super Bowl, although I think the days of teams like the early 2000’s ravens are over. You have to have a guy that’s way more dynamic than say a Trent Dilfer. It’s just the way the game is going.

If that’s the case, why does some people worry about who our DC is gonna be? Especially if defense really doesn’t matter?

VN Store

Back