Coach Harper Media Questions 12/16

it isn't about Jordan only,,,give me more credit than that.

If starting doesn't mean that much, free Emily, Jessie, KK, Tess,,,just run a serpentine substitute rotation like they do in UPWARDS church basketball. This is "give em all a participation trophy mentality".

I mean if starting doesn't mean that much, what does it say about the one's chosen to start in games already played.
No
This is one philosophy I wouldn't share with if were John Wooden himself saying it.

Sorry, not sorry
I've heard other coaches say, and I can buy into it, 'Finishing is more important than starting.' I'm old enough to remember Red Auerbach not starting John Havlicek but instead creating the 6th man position. Which is now a coveted NBA award. I also know some players do benefit from seeing what's going on and having the coach clearly define their role before entering the game. Things like 'be aware of 16 sneaking up from the baseline' or 'see how 16 fakes right but really wants to go left'. Stuff like that that some players don't see for themselves.

I've heard other coaches say, and I can buy into it, 'Finishing is more important than starting.' I'm old enough to remember Red Auerbach not starting John Havlicek but instead creating the 6th man position. Which is now a coveted NBA award. I also know some players do benefit from seeing what's going on and having the coach clearly define their role before entering the game. Things like 'be aware of 16 sneaking up from the baseline' or 'see how 16 fakes right but really wants to go left'. Stuff like that that some players don't see for themselves.
What really matters is starting a team and maintaining a team that matches up best with who your opponent has on the floor. If you start a mismatch most good coaches are going to make you pay for it. Sometimes you don't have the players but I think we do. We have started some lineups namely against W Va that didn't matchup well and the points they scored early in that game gave them the points they needed to win in the end.

I stand by every word I wrote whenever I wrote it. Its about finding your true talent and developing it beyond potential, which is where we seem to get stuck in the mud. That may or may not be as a starter. KJH has evidence as to how to do that which we don't have, namely practice

I get that your solution to everything is to start JH at point guard, make sure the ball is in her hands on every possession and let her go to town. Others, apparently including KJH, disagree at this point.

While you may post as a "coach", which is your right, I read and respond to you as just another poster, which is my right.

Just for the record, I will heretofore be posting as King of the Ottoman empire.

Last edited:
Kellie starts the players who set a steady, solid foundation for the game. Good all-around with executing the game plan, working the hardest in practice, and can be trusted to work as a team. Walker and Green are not rookies; they have several years of playing experience as does Rennia. Suarez is a terrific distributor and rebounder. And Rae has the spark. The game isn’t about starting or not; it’s knowing and accepting how you fit into the team and believing in the team. Pat always said a player can have all the talent but can’t be part of a team, doesn’t listen, doesn’t work hard enough, which for Pat meant you sat on the bench. You don’t coach all teams the same way. We have a new team this year and every year, and Kellie is bringing in excellent players she knows will fit our culture and system, but into team, and adjust as needed.

Kellie starts the players who set a steady, solid foundation for the game. Good all-around with executing the game plan, working the hardest in practice, and can be trusted to work as a team. Walker and Green are not rookies; they have several years of playing experience as does Rennia. Suarez is a terrific distributor and rebounder. And Rae has the spark. The game isn’t about starting or not; it’s knowing and accepting how you fit into the team and believing in the team. Pat always said a player can have all the talent but can’t be part of a team, doesn’t listen, doesn’t work hard enough, which for Pat meant you sat on the bench. You don’t coach all teams the same way. We have a new team this year and every year, and Kellie is bringing in excellent players she knows will fit our culture and system, but into team, and adjust as needed.

Great post!

giphy.gif

Reactions: T_Vol376 and glv98

VN Store

Back