Coach Harper Media Questions 12/16

Volfan2012

Not to many questions today. Maria asked about the starting lineup and the only thing that I disagree with about the present one is that it is to small for big centers. If you just replace Green or Suarez with Key that would be enough for me. I don't like a bad matchup to start the game or anywhere in the game really. If they got a big in you need one in there is JMO.

Last edited:

Not to many questions today. Maria asked about the starting lineup and the only thing that I disagree with about the present one is that it is to small for big centers. If you just replace Green or Suarez with Key that would be enough for me. I don't like a bad matchup to start the game or anywhere in the game really. If they got a big in you need one in that is JMO.

I agree 100%. I’m not sure what they’re getting at not starting Tamari. She’s the heart and soul of our defense. Not having her on the floor to start kills us with guard penetration. That’s why WV busted out to a lead. Had she been in the game there is no way Gondrezick gets those layups in the first quarter. I’m sure they’re trying to motivate her, but I’d rather win games than toy with player’s emotions. Put your best 5 on the floor to start. That requires Key to be out there. Green is tough but she’s simply not the presence Key is with her length.

Last edited:

Not to many questions today. Maria asked about the starting lineup and the only thing that I disagree with about the present one is that it is to small for big centers. If you just replace Green or Suarez with Key that would be enough for me. I don't like a bad matchup to start the game or anywhere in the game really. If they got a big in you need one in there is JMO.

She will be completely out coached by a first year coach. That will prove you can, and should ,win in year one with talent, and so far she hasn't shown she can do that. I hope more than anything that she proves me wrong, as i am just as big of a Lady Vol fan as a Vol fan.

Reactions: orangefloyd

Maria is not looking so great.

She will be completely out coached by a first year coach. That will prove you can, and should ,win in year one with talent, and so far she hasn't shown she can do that. I hope more than anything that she proves me wrong, as i am just as big of a Lady Vol fan as a Vol fan.
Allenfan1, who is the first year coach that you are referring to?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I agree 100%. I’m not sure what they’re getting at not starting Tamari. She’s the heart and soul of our defense. Not having her on the floor to start kills us with guard penetration. That’s why WV busted out to a lead. Had she been in the game there is no way Gondrezick gets those layups in the first quarter. I’m sure they’re trying to motivate her, but I’d rather win games than toy with player’s emotions. Put your best 5 on the floor to start. That requires Key to be out there. Green is tough but she’s simply not the presence Key is with her length.

This is a disturbing media session.

This was a very chill nonchalant 11 minute 53 second media session. I’m more concerned about the game tomorrow , then a media session. We have a chance to make some noise and it’s about time we do.

What part ?

Kellie said:
“The teams that are veterans, mature and stable,,,those are the teams that benefit from this year…”

(then why start 3 rookies?)

“The starting lineup,,,it’s a big deal to a lot of people,,its not to me…. it’s a big deal to a lot of people(said twice)????…”

(You have to give you players incentives,,,obtaining and maintaining a starting position is one of the highest honors in sports...Can you see bring Jordan, L James, Candace, Chamique off the bench?,,,Didn't Kellie start?....How would that have sat with her in the mid nineties?...

We have pedigree players who not only expect to start but work hard to maintain that status.....This thought process and this dynamic ...

very disturbing

We have pedigree players who not only expect to start but work hard to maintain that status.....This thought process and this dynamic ...
You don't know that. Let's get real. This is all about JH not starting for you. But how do you know she's not OK with that? She's certainly getting plenty of minutes and we've said a hundred times, she is the very kind of player who can benefit from watching things play out for a few minutes from the sidelines. Maybe she prefers that. Maybe her "prestige" and "status" is derived from actually helping the team in the best manner she can, not getting to run through the fireworks tunnel. You don't know.

Also KJH sees practice, we don't. You don't know that she is not rewarding hard work with the current starting lineup. She has a different opinion than you about which players should take the court in the first minute. And hers counts.

,Didn't Kellie start?....How would that have sat with her in the mid nineties?...
In the mid nineties Kellie started at White Co High School. At UT in the late nineties, she usually started. Her last two yrs she started but shared time pretty equally with Ace Clement. Pat had great confidence in her rookies and played them freely. I don't know for a fact, but I got the feeling Kellie would have been fine with whatever role Pat felt helped the team.

Maria is not looking so great.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: creekdipper
it isn't about Jordan only,,,give me more credit than that.

If starting doesn't mean that much, free Emily, Jessie, KK, Tess,,,just run a serpentine substitute rotation like they do in UPWARDS church basketball. This is "give em all a participation trophy mentality".

I mean if starting doesn't mean that much, what does it say about the one's chosen to start in games already played.
No
This is one philosophy I wouldn't share with if were John Wooden himself saying it.

Sorry, not sorry

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
You don't know that. Let's get real. This is all about JH not starting for you. But how do you know she's not OK with that? She's certainly getting plenty of minutes and we've said a hundred times, she is the very kind of player who can benefit from watching things play out for a few minutes from the sidelines. Maybe she prefers that. Maybe her "prestige" and "status" is derived from actually helping the team in the best manner she can, not getting to run through the fireworks tunnel. You don't know.

Also KJH sees practice, we don't. You don't know that she is not rewarding hard work with the current starting lineup. She has a different opinion than you about which players should take the court in the first minute. And hers counts.

In the mid nineties Kellie started at White Co High School. At UT in the late nineties, she usually started. Her last two yrs she started but shared time pretty equally with Ace Clement. Pat had great confidence in her rookies and played them freely. I don't know for a fact, but I got the feeling Kellie would have been fine with whatever role Pat felt helped the team.

remember this glv

Good point. We returned one starter. We started her, one player who played little last year, and three who had never played a second as LVs, two of those true freshmen.

It funny we're all over the map on "talent" level. Either we have none and the roster needs to be purged or we're loaded with 5 stars we just don't know how to use. Truth is, I don't think we really know yet how much is true talent or not. Next year ya'll.

Am I missing something ...

People were mentioning not starting Key? But the quote made it seem like there could be a possible change because the staff looks at each team on a team by team basis.

Then I read Maria’s article and it started this:

Tennessee is likely to modify its starting lineup against Indiana. That could be an indication that sophomores Tamari Key and Jordan Horston will be on the court at tip time.

So it seems as though the starting lineup we have seen in the past might be adjusted...

@Coach Jumper so what are you thinking now ?

Am I missing something ...

People were mentioning not starting Key? But the quote made it seem like there could be a possible change because the staff looks at each team on a team by team basis.

Then I read Maria’s article and it started this:

Tennessee is likely to modify its starting lineup against Indiana. That could be an indication that sophomores Tamari Key and Jordan Horston will be on the court at tip time.

So it seems as though the starting lineup we have seen in the past might be adjusted...

@Coach Jumper so what are you thinking now ?

exactly what I thought for the last almost-game with Texas....I believe that the starting lineup was going to change for that game to Burrell, Davis, Horston, Key and Green or Walker

VA,, I post as a coach,,,not a fan,,,And as a coach I have firm stances on certain things...Importance of the starting rotation (breeds inner competition and growth for my players) and time on the floor for my starters builds continuity ,,,two very strong beliefs in the upper echelons of any upper level BB

There is a time for serpentine rotations and lineup experimentation and then there is a time to go into competitive mode and reward your best players for their hard work.

exactly what I thought for the last almost-game with Texas....I believe that the starting lineup was going to change for that game to Burrell, Davis, Horston, Key and Green or Walker

VA,, I post as a coach,,,not a fan,,,And as a coach I have firm stances on certain things...Importance of the starting rotation (breeds inner competition and growth for my players) and time on the floor for my starters builds continuity ,,,two very strong beliefs in the upper echelons of any upper level BB

There is a time for serpentine rotations and lineup experimentation and then there is a time to go into competitive mode and reward your best players for their hard work.

Sounds good to me 👍🏽

remember this glv
I stand by every word I wrote whenever I wrote it. Its about finding your true talent and developing it beyond potential, which is where we seem to get stuck in the mud. That may or may not be as a starter. KJH has evidence as to how to do that which we don't have, namely practice

I get that your solution to everything is to start JH at point guard, make sure the ball is in her hands on every possession and let her go to town. Others, apparently including KJH, disagree at this point.

While you may post as a "coach", which is your right, I read and respond to you as just another poster, which is my right.

VN Store

Back