Coach Fulmer to get raise/extension (Hamilton after the game)

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
For Fulmer, that also means some added job security, which, in the dog-eat-dog world of the SEC, is always a nice thing. Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton indicated after the game Saturday that Fulmer can expect some combination of a raise and/or extension.
Hamilton said he "plans on taking care" of Fulmer and reiterated how proud he is to have the SEC's dean of coaches at Tennessee.

does anyone else think that hamilton gives raises and or extensions too easily? it's almost like a spur of the moment kind of thing.

For Fulmer, that also means some added job security, which, in the dog-eat-dog world of the SEC, is always a nice thing. Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton indicated after the game Saturday that Fulmer can expect some combination of a raise and/or extension.
Hamilton said he "plans on taking care" of Fulmer and reiterated how proud he is to have the SEC's dean of coaches at Tennessee.

I can understand this if we win next saturday... maybe a raise 4 winning the east but no extension.

does anyone else think that hamilton gives raises and or extensions too easily? it's almost like a spur of the moment kind of thing.

I think he does it prematurely, just like last year, before the bowl game. He should wait until after the bowl game so whatever is done is based on the full season.

He deserves it!!! Plus, this team will be loaded the next two years and the added security will allow him to focus on recruiting with confidence! He obviously knows what he's doing there......

He deserves it!!! Plus, this team will be loaded the next two years and the added security will allow him to focus on recruiting with confidence! He obviously knows what he's doing there......

what if he loses the last two games though? does a 9-5 team's coach really deserve a contract extension? i just think he should have waited thats all

The reason for this can be found about two paragraphs underneath that in the ESPN story:

John Thornton, one of Tennessee's most prominent boosters, a close friend of Fulmer and a former UT board of trustees member, sent a letter to Hamilton in recent weeks scolding him for not showing more public support for Fulmer. Thornton maintained in the letter that Hamilton actually had fostered some of the negativity that gripped the program, hurting recruiting by not coming out and making a public show of support for Fulmer.

There are fewer than 10 people whose opinions really matter as far as Coach Fulmer's job. And most of them are his good friends. It's going to take a lot for them to turn on him.

Are we sure the first time this was said was after the game? Does a coach that is still hanging on whether or not he will be coaching here or not really call those plays on 4th downs?

he would still be coaching here next year, regardless. Raises and extensions are the norm in football. It helps recruiting because it shows a hint of job security. In reality, extensions mean nothing if you don't perform. If you doubt that, talk to Mr. Callahan, formerly of Lincoln, Nebraska.

he would still be coaching here next year, regardless. Raises and extensions are the norm in football. It helps recruiting because it shows a hint of job security. In reality, extensions mean nothing if you don't perform. If you doubt that, talk to Mr. Callahan, formerly of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Exactly!!:clapping:

Apparently being mediocre at the University of Tennessee will get you a raise these days. If we lose the last two, we will be 9-5. Is this how you want the Vols to finish each year? Giving him a raise and or an extension tells me that Hamilton is content with mediocrity out of his Football coach. Fulmer is the only Big time coach that I know that consistently lets teams back in games. It never fails that if Tennessee has a big lead on anyone at halftime, the opponent will have a chance to win at the end. Anyone who is happy about the game today needs to check their head. Fulmers luck is going to run out eventually and you can't win all of the close ones. I want a coach that will cut a teams throat when he has them on the ground. A 17 point lead with 1 minute left in the 3rd should be something to feel good about. At Tennessee, it only means that the other team has a good shot of winning. Sounds like we need a new AD too!

Your point has some validity, however, giving raises with work still to be done sends the wrong message to the HC. It possibly could lead to complacency. Make a decision like this based on the finished job.

Do you give Fulmer any credit for Tennessee's 7-1 record in OT?......although our other OT game this year also followed a big halftime lead, so maybe not.

But... and if you've paid attention to any of my posts, you know i'm one of the biggest anti Fulmer guys on this board.... you have to look at what Fulmer has done. He kept this team from quitting after the UF game, kept them from quitting again after the Bama game, proved he can win an important game on the road, and led the Volunteers to Atlanta. Fulmer's not an idiot, don't treat him like one. He knows there is work to be done. Just about every coach in the country would get a raise and extension for this body of work

But... and if you've paid attention to any of my posts, you know i'm one of the biggest anti Fulmer guys on this board.... you have to look at what Fulmer has done. He kept this team from quitting after the UF game, kept them from quitting again after the Bama game, proved he can win an important game on the road, and led the Volunteers to Atlanta. Fulmer's not an idiot, don't treat him like one. He knows there is work to be done. Just about every coach in the country would get a raise and extension for this body of work

I too have been calling for CPF to retire on a positve note. Also check my post on the thread earlier Sat, Re: Getting rid of CPF, where I asked everyone to give it a rest until after the game. I owned a business with 70-80 employees for 18 yrs, and I found when you gave premature praise or raises, it sometimes led to that person letting up, resting on their laurels. I don't think Fulmer an idiot, but continuing to do the same ol' every time we get an early lead and expecting different results comes awfully close to idiocy.

I too have been calling for CPF to retire on a positve note. Also check my post on the thread earlier Sat, Re: Getting rid of CPF, where I asked everyone to give it a rest until after the game. I owned a business with 70-80 employees for 18 yrs, and I found when you gave premature praise or raises, it sometimes led to that person letting up, resting on their laurels. I don't think Fulmer an idiot, but continuing to do the same ol' every time we get an early lead and expecting different results comes awfully close to idiocy.

while we've struggled with second halves in other games, the way we lost this lead didn't remind me much of other leads we've lost. so i can't say we did the "same ol'". We just had a qb eat up a not very good secondary

The reason for this can be found about two paragraphs underneath that in the ESPN story:

There are fewer than 10 people whose opinions really matter as far as Coach Fulmer's job. And most of them are his good friends. It's going to take a lot for them to turn on him.
This is what I've been saying all along. Bunch of fans squawking doesn't mean jack.

Rich boosters...they got the jack.

I'm fine with Fulmer. The regular season wasn't pretty, but none of the other SEC-East teams had dominating seasons either. At this point I've always thought he has about a 3 year shot to win an SEC title any way, and if he does it this year so much the better. It will leave a bad taste in my mouth if we drop the next two games, but all things considered this may not be a great year to try and hire any way. I'll tell you what though, if Fulmer manages the impossible by beating both LSU and the BCS opponent Mike Hamilton will come out looking like $1 million for telling us to cool our jets.

while we've struggled with second halves in other games, the way we lost this lead didn't remind me much of other leads we've lost. so i can't say we did the "same ol'". We just had a qb eat up a not very good secondary

It seems to me that in these games where we get a good lead we go to a very soft def backfield and too conservative an offense. That is to me "same ol'

too conservative an offense. That is to me "same ol'

I could not disagree more. Erik and Cutt can't run out there and catch the 2nd half passes themselves. That comeback is on the back of the damn receivers and Tight Ends who replaced their gloves with stone hands. In regards to the defense, I said the same thing after the USC game, if I was on the damn field for an entire half I'd be gassed too.

I could not disagree more. Erik and Cutt can't run out there and catch the 2nd half passes themselves. That comeback is on the back of the damn receivers and Tight Ends who replaced their gloves with stone hands. In regards to the defense, I said the same thing after the USC game, if I was on the damn field for an entire half I'd be gassed too.[/QUOTE]

If the players were in a better position to make plays, they could go rest, but then, the offense would have them right back out there.
Anyway you have your opinion and seem to be knowledgable. What we think doesn't really matter. Good night have choir in am. Lets just enjoy the win ok.

This was a tough year on Phil and staff no doubt. He has a very good way of understanding that UT fans are skewed heavily in favor of praise and in favor of ridicule. He's been through it time and time again and knows UT football in every which way it can be presented. He's a class act coach who isn't perfect but is a great fit for our program and has done a lot of good here.

He's pretty damn consistent and I have a ton of respect for the man who continues to produce in the SEC as long as he has. Luck never hurt no one and the man has gotten it right more than wrong. You may not love the man but he is a Volunteer and a damn fine one. Nobody is unbeatable but some are more resilient than others.

The only way to judge a football coach is to look at his performance vs his previous performance because all the intangibles are changing from year to year but the bench mark is consistently based on Fulmer and staff achieving goals and fixing broke pieces.

Fixing what's broke can take time and more than is available in a season sometimes. This isn't the pros where you just go buy another battle tested horse for the stable. In 2005 WR's couldn't catch a cold, 2006 we have one of the most productive WR corps in the nation etc.

CPF goal every year is a SECCG and realistically 3 every 10 years is acceptable. So I say CPF and staff are meeting benchmarks and producing.

Now go win us a championship or look for a job BEOTCH!:peace2:

VN Store

Back