Coach Doug Mathews on now

He got it done in a few games last year, period. He's regressed this year, but doesn't justify the silly hate he got last year.
I know its hard to admit you are wrong. But he wasn't good last year either. When he doesn't have to think... or throw quickly... he has the arm to make the throws. They found something with the 50/50, back shoulder type throws vs Auburn. That was really the only good game of his career. Everyone since has made sure to shut that down when he was in.

He's just not difficult to defend... and he never was except for that one Auburn game.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
In an attempt to return to the premise of this thread: Doug Mathews accurately summed up the game. Vols played hard, RBs ran hard, both OL & DL improved, JG's decision to "sneak" over the top was bogus, & other tidbits. I like what Pruitt said on the Sunday show: "For the first time in years, Alabama knew they were in a game this time."

Because he didn't intentionally bring "us nothing but misery", but rather put in the work and has taken an absolute beating playing for UT. That he isn't capable isn't his fault. FFS, at what - maybe 21 y.o.? - he's saying goodbye to 7-8 years or more of his life while feeling he let his team down.
If you think about it, you'll find the decency to sympathize with the young man and wish him well.

Whether he intended to or not is not the issue. The issue is that he has brought some wins, and a lot of miserable play to the program, purposeful or not doesn't matter although I think the guy tries as hard as he can. If I hit you with a bat on purpose or on accident, it still hurts.

The OL was never quite as bad as it seemed. Him holding the ball too long was a major problem for them.

Agree. He is still doing it. Watching relatively late in the game.....it's 3rd and less than 10, we need it, doesn't throw it when he reaches his drop back, then flushes out of the pocket......runs out of bounds. Never throws downfield. Never, not even a reasonable attempt You're down 20+, you need it, and he never takes a shot. Absolute lack of awareness of where he is in the game.

I hate to see it, I hate watching it, because he has all the physical tools. He just can't overcome the mental aspects it take to compete at this level. Many hit their ceiling at some point......he has.

Reactions: sjt18
Yes. There were a few of us. Some were hopeful and just wanted to believe he wasn't that bad. A few... still won't come back and admit how bad he's been.

tenor.gif

I feel bad for JG now that everyone is on his case. I had hoped my fact based criticism would be proven wrong.

As long as Pruitt insisted on playing him, this was never going to end any other way.

Whether he intended to or not is not the issue. The issue is that he has brought some wins, and a lot of miserable play to the program, purposeful or not doesn't matter although I think the guy tries as hard as he can. If I hit you with a bat on purpose or on accident, it still hurts.

Disagree entirely; if someone is putting in the work and effort and still incapable of handling the position that he's put into, he's not to blame for being there and doing what he can. Any misery a fan feels is their personal issue, not his.

If you can't empathize with a 21 year-old in that situation, you can't empathize with anyone.

There is a ton of reason to NOT play JG. The fan Mojo will be flattened before we even kick off, the team clearly responds to either Maurer or Shrout better. JG has had plenty of chances, does anybody really think JG can move the ball against South Carolina? He simply can't react fast enough, if we lose at least lose with a fresh face. Shrout has the arm strength, good grief give that man a chance if Maurer can't go. Play JJ some, fans would rather see that in large numbers. We are already 2-5, playing JG now is just the flat out wrong and backwards thing to do. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: LargeOrange1
Yes. There were a few of us. Some were hopeful and just wanted to believe he wasn't that bad. A few... still won't come back and admit how bad he's been.
Yep, still waiting to hear from Ktk. I would think he would come on and be graceful and eat a little crow. Knowing his posting style, he is composing his excuses.

VN Store

Back