Coach DD has the #16 best coaching job in the ncaa

I mean, my avatar is a picture of me with some dude in a white shirt, and there's nowhere else I'd rather work.

Michigan should be higher. And I like us at 14 before UCLA and Oregon.

Have the same book.... Its about as accurate as you can get it because Oregon has huge Nike hook ups and kids my age want to wear nike not adidas just saying....

cf215742681a4005ff9da763bb9e542777cf0cc.jpg

If you honestly think UT is a better job than Michigan you need to have your head checked......they have more tradition....the most wins in college football....more national titles....more Heisman's(considered we have NONE)

That being said, I agree that Oregon should not be ahead of us

Not too mention they go against only Penn State and Ohio State for the top recruits in their region.

UT has to go against UGA, LSU, Bama, Florida, etc.

Who you're recruiting agaisnt doesn't factor into how good of a job it is.....you need a better arguement than that

If you honestly think UT is a better job than Michigan you need to have your head checked......they have more tradition....the most wins in college football....more national titles....more Heisman's(considered we have NONE)

That being said, I agree that Oregon should not be ahead of us

They're worse off in terms of talent around them (we atleast are surrounded by some very good talent states with GA/NC/Alabama and Florida isn't too far off - SC and Virginia hold their own), conference prestige, and the climate is huge as well.

Texas/USC/Florida are in the top 3 primarily due to 2 things - talent and nice weather. If tradition was so much a factor in the top coaching jobs (based on this poll) then Florida wouldn't be that high. Stadium, fan base, prestige do come into play though.

Heisman trophy is completely irrelevant in this situation.

Last edited:
They base this off of what? I remember hearing them last year do this and we were 12th, so i'd say a new weight room and winning some games again will move us up this list in a year or so.

How old are you? I'm a couple years older than most recruits, and I know a few from high school, and I've heard no mention of shoes coming into their decision.

Its not just about the shoes, everything they make for Oregon is better than what they make for any other school. Schools like Florida get the gear that Oregon used the year before (performance wise) Oregon always has the best of the best, why you think so many recruits are considering it more now? Plus when $400 Million is put into renovations. ie. Stadium, locker rooms, weight rooms, the school itself..

Obviously the winning jobs will be easier, because of exposure. If we didn't have Travis Stephens or the erik ainge eras, the job would be bad
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No link, read this in the Athlon Sports 2010 NCAA football preview magazine. UT is ranked in the top 25 of something.

Athlon Sports publishing ranks the University of Tennessee as #16 on its list of best coaching jobs.

Pros: large crowd/stadium and rich history

Cons: have to recruit outside of state because lack of bcs talent

The "Gang of Five" says it doesn't matter. Yet, most established head coaches and every sports professional say it does.

I'm going with the "Gang of Five." They really know what's up!

I don't know about USC being that high. I agree they should be pretty high, but the fan base is horrible. Most of them don't know much about the team and don't care to. I have a few friends that are USC fans and they are no where near as passionate as TN fans are. I saw a guy with a USC shirt and told him to have fun with Kiffin. He had no idea what I was talking about. I guess in the end that doesn't really matter to a coach.

Who you're recruiting agaisnt doesn't factor into how good of a job it is.....you need a better arguement than that

Except that's why Tennessee hasn't hired an established head coach in over 40 years. :crazy:

This is worth a thread on its own: the perfect TN head coach. It HAS to be a young gun, especially if outside the family. No established coach will come to Tennessee (sans Majors) even for 20% over his current salary. We will not get Gruden, Stoops, Saban, et al. from their current universities / TV jobs even if Thunder, Hambone, and Curly open the checkbooks to their Depression busting hilt. We couldn't get Calhoun et al this time around for goodness sakes. We couldn't get Muschamp who would rather wait for the Texas job because it is so much easier (and TN could be a reputation buster going against Saban, Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, et al every year).

Perhaps, but for schools like Michigan and Penn State, there's much more BCS-ready recruits in-state.

I agree Oregon shouldn't be ranked ahead of you guys.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Why is Oregon being ahead of Tennessee ridiculous? We're talking right now. Not 10-15 years ago.

Why is Oregon being ahead of Tennessee ridiculous? We're talking right now. Not 10-15 years ago.

If you are talking about who is 15th or 16th, does it really even matter? If that is all people are taking issue with, it sounds to me like the rankings can't be far off.

If you are talking about who is 15th or 16th, does it really even matter? If that is all people are taking issue with, it sounds to me like the rankings can't be far off.

Yeah. Obviously Tennessee's history absolutely annihilates Oregon's, but we're the program on the rise right now.

Yeah. Obviously Tennessee's history absolutely annihilates Oregon's, but we're the program on the rise right now.

I think it is probably better to think about the jobs in tiers, anyway. USC, Texas, Florida, ND, and Miami are premier jobs. There are a handful of SEC schools, a few of the Big 10, and probably Nebraska and Oregon in a solid grouping below that. OSU, Oklahoma, and FSU are somewhere in between.

It isn't as pretty on paper, but I'm not sure it makes a hell of a lot of difference where you rank within a particular grouping.

I think it is probably better to think about the jobs in tiers, anyway. USC, Texas, Florida, ND, and Miami are premier jobs. There are a handful of SEC schools, a few of the Big 10, and probably Nebraska and Oregon in a solid grouping below that. OSU, Oklahoma, and FSU are somewhere in between.

It isn't as pretty on paper, but I'm not sure it makes a hell of a lot of difference where you rank within a particular grouping.

I'd put Alabama in the top tier too.

VN Store

Back