Coach Cut @ DUKE

With our new coaches, revised offense, explosive secondary (so far), and the Spring game in less than 2 weeks, I wish Cut the best and will glance at his W/L record sometime in October.

With our new coaches, revised offense, explosive secondary (so far), and the Spring game in less than 2 weeks, I wish Cut the best and will glance at his W/L record sometime next spring.

fixed :thumbsup:

I think Cut is a good OC but will have trouble recruiting in North Carolina-Wake, State, North Carolina, Clemson, TN, FSU, V Tech will bring in most athletes/prospects that he will be looking to get.

I used to wonder why Duke doesn't recruit better but during the lacrosse team false accusation/Naifong affair I became aware of some of their community relations issues. I think some of thier problems go beyond the academic requirements and who they recruit against. Maybe Cut can get the momentum going the other way?

I used to wonder why Duke doesn't recruit better but during the lacrosse team false accusation/Naifong affair I became aware of some of their community relations issues. I think some of thier problems go beyond the academic requirements and who they recruit against. Maybe Cut can get the momentum going the other way?
no.

Doubt it.

He gets to cash a nice paycheck though.

I just did NOT understand his decision to leave for DUKE, at ALL. I mean why not Arkansas? Why not wait one more year and hope another "bigger" program opens up. The whole situation was just very odd to me.

no. cut won't sniff the success he had at Ole Miss at Duke.

I disagree. The ACC is much weaker than SEC in football. I'm guessing that he can have similar success. He had a 60% winning percentage at Ole Miss and can probably do the same at Duke.

I just did NOT understand his decision to leave for DUKE, at ALL. I mean why not Arkansas? Why not wait one more year and hope another "bigger" program opens up. The whole situation was just very odd to me.
hope being the operative word. i don't think he had any other real options.

I disagree. The ACC is much weaker than SEC in football. I'm guessing that he can have similar success. He had a 60% winning percentage at Ole Miss and can probably do the same at Duke.
get Duke to win a co-division title and win a NYD bowl and then we'll be able to talk about comparisons. the best Duke can hope for (and i'll concede this would be considered success there) is to have some .500 seasons and 7 win seasons and go to any kind of bowl. and this is a program that hasn't won more than 3 games in i don't know how long......

Duke is one of THE WORST football jobs in the country.

That was my thoughts. I am sure he is kicking himself when he found out that the AD that hired him has left.

I think Cut went to Duke because it may have been his best shot. Cut is known to have recruiting ties to NC. Despite that and his success at Ole Miss and UTK, he was passed over for the NC State job and the UNC job. I think he can get them to a bowl game within a few years. Also, look at what Wake has done the past couple of years. The ACC has been erratic lately.

TC was already at NCSU and BD was already at UNC last year...not sure i would say he was passed over for either job...he'd only been back at UT for one season when both jobs came open, and i don't recall him even getting a phone call.......

TC was already at NCSU and BD was already at UNC last year...not sure i would say he was passed over for either job...he'd only been back at UT for one season when both jobs came open, and i don't recall him even getting a phone call.......
Obviously, UNC was not going ot hire Cut over Butch Davis however Cut actively lobbied for the NC State job when it was open. It was no secret that Cut would've left UTK after the 2006 season for either one of those gigs. Also, he got no sniff from Arky.

agree, ark was not even an option....and honeslty, i just don't recall anything about NCSU ever being a realistic option. if memory serves, they hired TC pretty quickly...that job wasn't open for long.

so lobby or not, the only radar screen he was on, on the behalf of the hiring institution was Duke.

it's being presented like he was actually up for those jobs and didn't get them, and that's not the case.

I think Cut went to Duke because it may have been his best shot. Cut is known to have recruiting ties to NC. Despite that and his success at Ole Miss and UTK, he was passed over for the NC State job and the UNC job. I think he can get them to a bowl game within a few years. Also, look at what Wake has done the past couple of years. The ACC has been erratic lately.

if Cut gets Duke to a bowl, any bowl, the larger opportunities will come calling. If he falls on his face, he'll get another great OC job and have a nice savings account to go with it. I think it was a smart move on his part.

It was fairly easy to find something on the NC State deal. It's hard for me to imagine that Cut would say that if someone from NC State had not expressed interest, at least off the record. Then again, maybe he was desperate enough to move on that he tried to create some interest?

newsobserver.com | Cutcliffe interested in N.C. State job

rex, I think he'll do it (bowl game). They are not scheduling juggernauts for OOC. Given what Cut did at Ole Miss, I think he is at least as good a head coach as Fulmer. JMO

You all want to know why he went to Duke? SEVEN figures. Who would turn down a few million dollars to coach? Even if it is at Duke. Even if he fails he can still land a 6 figure OC job so its really a no brainer.

It was fairly easy to find something on the NC State deal. It's hard for me to imagine that Cut would say that if someone from NC State had not expressed interest, at least off the record. Then again, maybe he was desperate enough to move on that he tried to create some interest?

rex, I think he'll do it (bowl game). They are not scheduling juggernauts for OOC. Given what Cut did at Ole Miss, I think he is at least as good a head coach as Fulmer. JMO

Given some peoples opinion of Fulmer that doesn't bode well for him especially with the talent level he will have.

thanks for the link....i do recall that now, KNS had the same story iirc.

but imagination not withstanding, all this says is that Cut would listen if they came calling.......was he making the first move? probalby, but it's pretty apparent to me that the feeling wasn't mutual as nothing happened past this attempt to get to 2nd base.

The Ol' Ball Coach himself never won more than 8 games at Duke. And that was in a conference w/o FSU, Miami, VT, and BC. If Cut gets Duke to bowl eligibility, I will be surprised.

VN Store

Back