Coach Brumbaugh and the DL

MiramarVol

Sanctified Vol
I haven't seen much talk about the job Coach Jimmy Brumbaugh has done with the DL so far in his tenure here. This was a position we thought we would struggle, but they played fairly well last Saturday. This was also commendable because Middleton and Williams were were out. They were the two most experienced DL that we have this season. He got guys like Simmons (1st career start), Baron, Joseph, Morven ready to play and contribute also. The DL had sacks from Bennett and Johnson (SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week). I was impressed with the pressure they were getting on a OL that Coach Muschamp said was his best that he's had there at SCe. They were in the backfield almost every play and only have up 89 total rushing yards for the game.

I thought they played pretty well too. Physically they look the part and they played with a lot of effort. Definitely looked like some mental mistakes were made (ie our ends crashing in on off tackle plays) but that can be fixed. When you factor in no spring practice, very little summer work, a disjointed fall practice and the absence of Middleton, Williams (and Gooden being dimissed) I’d say it was a successful performance.

Test will be a game against a top offensive line. Don't think that was S. Carolina. They got a lot of pressures Saturday but they schemed and used blitzes a lot. I wouldn't say we are good there yet but they did hold their own Saturday night.

I haven't seen much talk about the job Coach Jimmy Brumbaugh has done with the DL so far in his tenure here. This was a position we thought we would struggle, but they played fairly well last Saturday. This was also commendable because Middleton and Williams were were out. They were the two most experienced DL that we have this season. He got guys like Simmons (1st career start), Baron, Joseph, Morven ready to play and contribute also. The DL had sacks from Bennett and Johnson (SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week). I was impressed with the pressure they were getting on a OL that Coach Muschamp said was his best that he's had there at SCe. They were in the backfield almost every play and only have up 89 total rushing yards for the game.

I don’t think anyone thought we’d struggle at Dline. It’s been considered the strength of our defense all off season

I don’t think anyone thought we’d struggle at Dline. It’s been considered the strength of our defense all off season
I’m pretty sure I’ve heard for about a month that the Dline has been struggling during camp. Some of it may be due to playing against an elite O line and some it may be due to Covid stuff.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard for about a month that the Dline has been struggling during camp. Some of it may be due to playing against an elite O line and some it may be due to Covid stuff.

I always assumed that was just coach speak and motivational. But all offseason we’ve all drooled over the experience and depth up front

Last edited:

Not that I disagree with you about the DL...but aren't Joseph, Baron, Bennett and Johnson all OLB's and therefore coached by Shelton Felton?

I think Brumbaugh is going to be a star, but the DL had a really bad game against SC. Pressure came from OLBs, primarily.

If you look at the stats, our DL had 2 tackles all night: one by Elijah Simmons and the other by Omari Thomas. Matthew Butler had one QB hurry.

Guys like Butler, Bumphus and Garland have to play better.

I always assumed that you we just coach speak and motivational. But all offseason we’ve all drooled over the experience and depth up front
That’s a good point . I was hoping it was motivational, but I disagree with the OP. I don’t think the D line was getting push, but the outside LB’s were making plays and getting pressure. I think they will improve though and eventually become a strength .

I think Brumbaugh is going to be a star, but the DL had a really bad game against SC. Pressure came from OLBs, primarily.

If you look at the stats, our DL had 2 tackles all night: one by Elijah Simmons and the other by Omari Thomas. Matthew Butler had one QB hurry.

Guys like Butler, Bumphus and Garland have to play better.

Getting Solomon in better game shape so he can play more snaps and getting Darel Middleton (should be back this week) back will go a long way to improving the DL.

Middleton tweeted before the South Carolina game that he would be back for Missouri and tweeted "back in the mix" on Sunday.

We also dont know how many guys have been out for substantial time during camp. I know Solomon has barely practiced. Might be the same for some of the other guys.

You also have to factor in the inexperience of those who played. Our two most experienced DL were out. Blakely, Butler, and Simmons got valuable snaps last Saturday. We need to continue to build that depth.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't see how it was considered a strength when Gooden was dismissed and our next most experienced are Solomon and Williams. Simmons, Bumphus, Mincey, Garland (missed time last year), have never really contributed.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
That’s a good point . I was hoping it was motivational, but I disagree with the OP. I don’t think the D line was getting push, but the outside LB’s were making plays and getting pressure. I think they will improve though and eventually become a strength .
I am new to this board as far as responding or sending any messages so I probably have no right to start now but I thought the D-Line did its job fairly well. There main job is to push and cause mess in middle so the LB's can do there job and I thought the D-Line done that very well. But again that's just my thoughts for what it is worth.

We didn't lose a single player from last year's DL.
Dang. Am I thinking of 2018???

Hey, if any of yall find my 2019 laying around, holler at me. Thanks.

Eta: darrell taylor and kyle phillips weren't last year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol8188
Dang. Am I thinking of 2018???

Hey, if any of yall find my 2019 laying around, holler at me. Thanks.

Eta: darrell taylor and kyle phillips weren't last year?

Taylor was considered an OLB and Phillips was the year prior. We returned every single d lineman from 2019

Reactions: McDad
You also have to factor in the inexperience of those who played. Our two most experienced DL were out. Blakely, Butler, and Simmons got valuable snaps last Saturday. We need to continue to build that depth.
Savion Williams barely played last season...his first. Long line of DL more experienced.

VN Store

Back