Clock management

HooahVol

Like everyone I was enjoying the beat down last night but noticed something that hopefully our coaches are considering. The 88 yard drive by Florida for a TD in the 4th in their attempt to get back into the game took just shy of 8 minutes off the clock. In case you missed it the new rule is first downs no longer stop the clock until the final 2 minutes, just like the NFL. If you get behind in a game you are really going to have to think about the clock. Get your receivers out of bounds. Spike the ball, etc.

BTW, I think this rule is an advantage for us. Our offense gets off the field faster than any other in the country. I say bring it on!

Didn't understand the lack of hurry from Florida. It's like they weren't trying to win, just make it respectable.

Reactions: HooahVol
It didn't look like they had practiced any 2 minute drill at all. This was not a well coached team.
No sense of urgency at all. Their OL play was terrible, you would think they hadn't gone through preseason practice.

Reactions: HooahVol
I agree with all your comments. Worst coaching I have seen in a long time which is saying something from a Tennessee fan who has watched the last 15 years of Tennessee football.

Reactions: volfans1 and dono
I think in the end, as long as our offence is on point, this new rule will help us. Think it will be harder to slow down the game. That should help our defense, as long as we are generally productive

Like everyone I was enjoying the beat down last night but noticed something that hopefully our coaches are considering. The 88 yard drive by Florida for a TD in the 4th in their attempt to get back into the game took just shy of 8 minutes off the clock. In case you missed it the new rule is first downs no longer stop the clock until the final 2 minutes, just like the NFL. If you get behind in a game you are really going to have to think about the clock. Get your receivers out of bounds. Spike the ball, etc.

BTW, I think this rule is an advantage for us. Our offense gets off the field faster than any other in the country. I say bring it on!
Hate the new rule but UF's lack of urgency last night was incredible. DIRECT reflection on Napier. If they had just had a moderate pace then they would have gotten another possession or two. Their D by that point was getting stops.

Reactions: gnm53108

VN Store

Back