Cleveland Guardians?!

Gentlemen! “Volunteers” comes from those that joined General Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans against the British in the War of 1812. It was actually a rag tag army of fellow Tennesseans, Indians, Creole and Cajuns (?) that knew a helluva lot more about high/low tide and river currents and used it to kick the British a$$ a second time. Pick up Brian Meade’s “Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans”. Great read.

Snowflakes everywhere. White people claiming native heritage as if it magically validates opinions is hilarious. What does he actually know about the decision-making process?

FB_IMG_1627192446151.jpg

Last edited:
No. I think it’s sad that there are people so petty and stupid to be offended by such things that in no way were ever meant to be offensive.

And all the self-aware people being offended by the change in name of a bad franchise (which they don’t follow) of a marginally popular sport (which many don’t follow) in an ugly city (that many of them have never even been to) were like:

1627199704417.jpeg

Lol. Just kidding. None of the offended people are self-aware.

Guardians is a "meh" name at best, and that logo is awful. I'd expect more from a major league team.

Snowflakes everywhere. White people claiming native heritage as if it magically validates opinions is hilarious. What does he actually know about the decision-making process?

View attachment 382494
I have mixed feelings about this letter.... on the one hand, the chief law enforcement officer of Portage County should spend his time writing letters of higher consequence than a team name change. On the other hand, I guess he does raise a good question about the name selection process. They could have come up with a thousand other names that would have been better.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I have mixed feelings about this letter.... on the one hand, the chief law enforcement officer of Portage County should spend his time writing letters of higher consequence than a team name change. On the other hand, I guess he does raise a good question about the name selection process. They could have come up with a thousand other names that would have been better.

Sounds like his gripe is with the decision to depart from the old name, not the decision on Guardians over alternate new names. I don’t have mixed feelings, the guy is whining because things didn’t go his way and hoping someone will care because “his wife is a descendent” which he can’t spell

2 teams are named for socks and 1 team is named for its stirrups. Team names aren’t exactly a science.
Socks, animals, location specific traits. Some just lend themselves better to sports names IMO. I don’t think anyone will ever say “that is an amazing team name”. At best I think a team could hope for an “it’s not terrible” from the sports world.

Maybe in a few decades the Guardians name will be one fans admire. Probably just depend on how much they win going forward.

But that logo is awful.

VN Store

Back