Clay Travis on Butch

Butch is better than Dooley, but we still want to do what Florida, Ohio St., and Florida can do. (Hire a coach with GOOD experience)

I dont disagree, but the fact remains, calling Butch Jones Derek Dooley is stupid. People saying it might think its cute to say and makes them sound smart. What it does is show how dumb they are. Just like people saying the Vols were going to make the playoff two weeks ago.

Funny how Clay Travis is constantly bashed on this board, until he says something stupid like this to play on peoples emotions from last night. Now he is wonderful.

Reactions: 3 people
Of course it's better, but I don't ever see Butch getting UT to the 1990's level of play either. 8/9 wins wins is the new standard. It could be worse

Sorry to burst your buddy, but with the exception of a few of years, we were an 8-9 win team in the 90s. 95-99 are the only time we won more that 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
First, that redneck can go hump himself in a mirror and he knows it.

Second, Lets use this moment to look at the real expectations for this program. We are really getting a feel for these expectations that Butch keeps talking about. It's win a natty or go home. There is no in between at this point.

This fan base is about one missed field goal away from going Harvey Updyke. We are like dogs chasing the car at this point. If we ever actually win it, it will spin our heads so fast we will be standing in the middle of the road dazed and confused. This isn't college ball any more. ESPN has created something entirely new out of this program, just like they wanted. We either beat our main rival (alabama) and win the season, or we are suicidal. I will say again, ain't no college coach going to be able to handle this program. We are going to have to go after an NFL coach that can handle the scrutiny.

Reactions: 2 people
If by 'exception of a couple years' you mean 'half', then sure.

Yes and that is going on twenty years ago..we weren't dominate in the 60-80s either it's like Vol fans skipped straight from Neyland to the mid 90s and think that is reality...no that's an outlier we have always been a 8-9 win team which is what we are right now

Butch Jones is different from Dooley in the fact that he has had much more success than Dooley. Butch is not Vols answer long term and not a high quality coach. But at least Butch works. Dooley simply didn't work at all.

The players play inspired for Butch, meaning they don't quit. Even as bad as it was last night the players didn't quit. Now, they weren't prepared or coached at all last night. Last night was the lack of quality coaching.

Dooley and Butch shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath though.....

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry to burst your buddy, but with the exception of a few of years, we were an 8-9 win team in the 90s. 95-99 are the only time we won more that 9.

Well that was with an 11 game schedule. 8-9 wins in the 90's is = to 9-10 wins now with the built in added cupcake.

Well that was with an 11 game schedule. 8-9 wins in the 90's is = to 9-10 wins now with the built in added cupcake.

Shhh don't let facts get in the way. The elite college football programs probably average no better than 8-9 wins a year historically. But don't tell that to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

The pendulum is swinging which way it goes after this yr well see, alot of drop off next yr, but we still can't say give him another yr, he's got another yr or that seat be on fire. New Ad coming in might already have sparked the fuse in his mind.

Shhh don't let facts get in the way. The elite college football programs probably average no better than 8-9 wins a year historically. But don't tell that to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

So with we go 9-3,how does that effect the facts here?

Which is exactly why this guy should be ignored and rejected as a journalist.

Butch's shtick has worn off. I don't think he is a good coach. I think he had a pretty good script, a lot of energy, and a GREAT platform and product in UT. But no way is he Dools.

Look Butch is a great guy, good recruiter, and is a great promoter of UT, but he needs to step back and become a CEO type head coach, bring in an OC to run their offense with their assisstants, and let Shoop bring in his assistants for his side of the ball, I highly doubt Shoop got the defensive production he did at Vandy and Penn State on his own, it was his guys teaching the players the techniques and schemes his way. I mean you hire a DC but don't let him bring his own guys, really?

Butch seems to have reached the peak of his abilities at this point in his tenure as Vol head coach.
Unless he can rejigger his cast of supporting coaches to put some firepower into this team, his days at UT are surely numbered.

Can you honestly say this program is in the same shape as it was under Dooley?

If youre answer is yes, you are an idiot.

The only difference between now and when Dooley was here is the east sucks now. Look 2010 - 2012 you had South Carolina, Georgia and Florida who were at that time finishing in the top 10 and winning games of consequence. Now the east is terrible, Jones lost to a pedestrian SC team when he was a 14 point favorite. If Jones can't win the east now, he never will.

Here is the average win/loss per decade

60s total record 67-32 or average of 7 and 3
70s total record 75-39 or average of 8 and 4
80s total record 76-37 or average of 8 and 4
90s total record 98-22 or average of 10 and 2
00s total record 83-44 or average of 8 and 4
10s total record 37-38 or average of 6 and 6

Butch is definitely more forgettable in those. I don't think I've watched but maybe 2 of those since he's been here. I watched most of Dooley's and was at least entertained. Butch's monochromatic voice gets annoying after a while.

Butch just needs to educate you.

Which is exactly why this guy should be ignored and rejected as a journalist.

Butch's shtick has worn off. I don't think he is a good coach. I think he had a pretty good script, a lot of energy, and a GREAT platform and product in UT. But no way is he Dools.

Travis and Finebaum are idiot anglers, and they are great at catching big ones like the OP

VN Store

Back