Class Of 09 A Top 5?

vol4life14

i was looking through the rivals 100 for 2009 and we have a lot of guys intrested in us.. and since we had such a bad class last yr a lot of them r thinking they can make an immediate impact. and there been a common theme going around of us having a great yr follewed by a bad yr so this could be are great yr. wat do u guys think

If we win games early, the recruits will recognize that Tennessee is one of the stronger SEC teams. So if we start out strong, a top 12 class is reasonable.

come on guys in 05 we had number 1 class n 07 number 3 everyone now saying top 15 top 12 have some faith in ur football team the negativity is killin me... mark my words top 5 class behind usc for sure

Do not need to be just yet. It looks like we will have a decent number of scholarships to offer. Lets see how we are doing after spring practice. I do, however agree that we need to get some big names in here earlier then last year.

I'll go ahead and take the heat by saying that UTK will not have a Top 20 class next year. After crapping out on linemen this year, next year it will be absolutely imperative to get a bunch of big frames for both sides of the ball in the 2009 class. The Vols are not in it for many elite linemen, hence they will be taking a bunch of two-star rated guys. It's going to take more than one 5* (Brown if he comes) to balance that out.

edit: The Vols might be in the Top 5 classes of the SEC if the in-state talent in Louisiana and Mississippi is down.

Hillybilly please change your choice of college teams and go and pull for some other sec team. I am sure they would welcome all of your negative talk.

Hillybilly please change your choice of college teams and go and pull for some other sec team. I am sure they would welcome all of your negative talk.
Who's "HillyBilly"? What I posted is true BTW. Being honest is not being negative. Linemen are a priority. It's going to take a hell of a lot of highly rated skill position guys to make 2009 a Top 5 class. Also, if you look back at the early Rival's 100 from this time last year I think you'd find that about the same number of kids listed UTK as a school of interest and we all know how that went.

Just for giggles, I double checked the Rivals final 5* rated prospects for the 2008 class. 11 out of 30 had UTK listed as one of their schools of interest on their final lists. Obviously, that number 11 does not reflect guys like Pryor who at one time listed UTK but then scratched the Vols. I agree that it's better to be a "school of interest" than not, but I just don't put any stock in it until there is a verbal commitment or strong indications of a silent commitment.

I've discussed it before but it may be worth mentioning again that the Vols were fortunate in 2007's class to have a couple of highly rated legacies who were going to come to UTK no matter what coupled with a bumper crop of in-state talent and the odd assortment of highly rated non-qualifiers who may never suit up in orange. The 2006 and 2008 classes are probably more accurate representations of what we can expect for the rest of Fulmer's tenure unless he starts winning the SEC/getting BCS bowl bids again ASAP. Kids want to play for championships and they want to be on television, preferably nationally broadcast. The Vols are having a harder and harder time in those two areas.

Solid to 10 class just looking at the potential of it.

big time rb's and big time Wr's usually = inflated rankings

I think the 09 class will be in the 5-10 range. All this talk about signing lineman bringing our class down is wrong. There were actually more 5 star OL than any other postion. Even if we were to sign four 3 star OL next year, we could still pull in a good class. There is no way we can only pull in 2 star lineman next year as Hillbilly mentioned.

chavis, getting DTs will be even more important than getting OL. The Vols on took one DT this year and he was a 2* although they aggressively pursued just about every highly rated DT they could. I'm not going to have an 11-month debate on the subject but IMO if the new coaches do not show something really special this year and the Vols do not challenge for the conference title, or at least get a BCS invite, I do not think the 2009 signing class will be all that much better than '08 ratingswise.

Cory Hall will be a DT at UT and Sykes might be to depending on if he has gotten any bigger.

After crapping out on linemen this year, next year it will be absolutely imperative to get a bunch of big frames for both sides of the ball in the 2009 class. The Vols are not in it for many elite linemen, hence they will be taking a bunch of two-star rated guys. It's going to take more than one 5* (Brown if he comes) to balance that out.

edit: The Vols might be in the Top 5 classes of the SEC if the in-state talent in Louisiana and Mississippi is down.

so ya um..... i believe hall, williams, and sykes are all better than two star talent... and yes we are on the SOI list for both Jamarkus McFarland and Chris Davenport i know LSU is recruiting both very hard but we're in it till we're out of it lol.... and those are only the DT's in the EARLY EARLY top 100 there's plenty of talent out there

C'mon negative nancy be a postive patsy for a change lol

VN Store

Back