Clamoring for Milton ??

The coaches have raved about Milton's good attitude and mastery of the offensive schemes. I have every reason to think he's teachable. I don't really understand why he instantly went from Chuck Norris jokes to the third stringer in some of our fans' minds. It was all based on one game where he was over-excited and chucked the ball too far about five times. (Overthrows weren't his main problem at Michigan, iirc.) Truth is, many of our fans are football ignorant and fickle as junior highers. Hate to say it, but it's on display everywhere in these boards. Still love 'em though. I like our mountain people.
I remember all the Chuck Norris post LOL
I posted he may need to talk to a sports shrink, stop trying to over think the mechanics and just do it. I don't think he's fallen to 3rd string because he can run the offense but after seeing Hooker.
I think he gives us a better chance at winning for now

The problem is Hooker has turned the ball over in fall camp and the coaches have not been able to trust. He has shown us the same thing for two games.

Milton doesn't see or feel the blitz and has fumblitis when sacked. Thiis is easily forgotten by those who perceive Milton to be the better QB option at this point. Neither QB can use the turnovers as a reason to play or be benched. That said I personally prefer turnovers when trying to make a play over turnovers because of lack of pocket 🎁's.

Reactions: papatomany
Milton is not a power 5 QB. Josh Dobbs was the last QB the Vols had. You would think we could recruit a decent QB to come to Tennessee. Until we get a difference maker at QB we will be a medicore team. Sad to say but true. No more Milton please. Hooker looks to be the best of the three we have.

I remember all the Chuck Norris post LOL
I posted he may need to talk to a sports shrink, stop trying to over think the mechanics and just do it. I don't think he's fallen to 3rd string because he can run the offense but after seeing Hooker.
I think he gives us a better chance at winning for now

that definitely could be true. However, my prediction is that Joe starts at the Swamp.

Reactions: Eastknox865
I'm clamoring for Milton. Sure, I liked what Hooker did in relief service, don't get me wrong. He has Josh Dobbs-style elusiveness. However, Milton is our starting QB this season and has the best abilities and chances of leading us to victory. The "overthrow" narrative spiraled out of control on VN. It blew up into a kind of groupthink and became "truth" almost instantly. It took on a life of its own and became equated with Milton being a terrible QB all around. But he's actually really good. He missed some key throws, okay. He can overcome that, get it right the next time. It's so crazy how those misses caused such a colossal fan meltdown. As for me, I'm in on Milton. Hooker is a solid backup. I hope Big-Eyed Bailey sees no meaningful snaps in 2021. He's the starter down the line, not now.

Who are you, his daddy?

Hooker - Rating 171.12, 33 of 47 70.21%, 392 yards, 5 TDs
Milton - Rating 106.22, 18 of 35 51.43%, 189 yards, 1 TD

Why do we have to make this decision? We have a head coach who is paid a lot of money to make it. His QB coaching resume is elite. He knows more about what these guys can do than any of us do and he knows what is being asked of them more than any of us do.

So the guy who he starts is the guy who should start.

Confused, I am on where you got their WBRs for the Pitt game:
View attachment 395683
There is something seriously wrong with this metric "QBR". How can a guy throw for 2x the number of completions, 3x the number of yards, 2x the average yard per through, 2x TDs and 1x INT and get a lessor QBR rating? This makes absolutely no sense. I don't like ESPN and this sounds like a metric one of their pinheads came up with to continue their agenda. It's BS

Sorry, won’t argue the point with you, but I do not believe The competition that each QB has faced is nowhere near comparable. That being said, it is much easier to put up inflated numbers against an FCS school that is not very good than any FBS schools. The competition just is not at the same level.

now, if Hooker can put up those numbers against Florida….well, that is something else. But big numbers against TTU does not impress me.
I'm afraid all of our QBs are going to get pounded against Florida. We better have some get rid of the ball quickly plays & not just throwing it to the sideline. Throwing it deep successfully will help loosen up the D, question is, can we do it?

I'm clamoring for Milton. Sure, I liked what Hooker did in relief service, don't get me wrong. He has Josh Dobbs-style elusiveness. However, Milton is our starting QB this season and has the best abilities and chances of leading us to victory. The "overthrow" narrative spiraled out of control on VN. It blew up into a kind of groupthink and became "truth" almost instantly. It took on a life of its own and became equated with Milton being a terrible QB all around. But he's actually really good. He missed some key throws, okay. He can overcome that, get it right the next time. It's so crazy how those misses caused such a colossal fan meltdown. As for me, I'm in on Milton. Hooker is a solid backup. I hope Big-Eyed Bailey sees no meaningful snaps in 2021. He's the starter down the line, not now.
You make some good points, and I think they both will get playing time. Hopefully Milton brings us the win and we don't have to play Hooker.

Reactions: volinthenorth
WHO AM I TO CLAMOR FOR?!?!?!
Silly for Sully.

McDermott_Sully.jpg

No one has the patience for this but if you gave Milton every snap from here on out, he would eventually figure it out. Once he does, he could be special.

He’s already been playing 5 years. By eventually do you mean 7? 8? We could run out of degrees to confer. Wait. Dr of footballology

I'm afraid all of our QBs are going to get pounded against Florida. We better have some get rid of the ball quickly plays & not just throwing it to the sideline. Throwing it deep successfully will help loosen up the D, question is, can we do it?

The quick answer to that is no. Don’t see the OL holding up long enough for long routes to develop.

Milton doesn't see or feel the blitz and has fumblitis when sacked. Thiis is easily forgotten by those who perceive Milton to be the better QB option at this point. Neither QB can use the turnovers as a reason to play or be benched. That said I personally prefer turnovers when trying to make a play over turnovers because of lack of pocket 🎁's.

Milton's fumble vs Pitt was because a man came straight up the gut unblocked and blasted him. That one was on the OL.

There is something seriously wrong with this metric "QBR". How can a guy throw for 2x the number of completions, 3x the number of yards, 2x the average yard per through, 2x TDs and 1x INT and get a lessor QBR rating? This makes absolutely no sense. I don't like ESPN and this sounds like a metric one of their pinheads came up with to continue their agenda. It's BS
Don’t disagree with any of that. Just pulled QBR from a primary source.

You do know, I presume, that there are about 4 or 5 ways to calculate a QB rating. I don't know them all, but my sense is that had Hooker started the Pitt game we just might be 3-0 as well.
4-5 ways to calculate QBR?!?! I did not know that. Figured it was like WHIP, slugging %, etc and there was a single accepted way to calculate a stat.

Milton is not a power 5 QB. Josh Dobbs was the last QB the Vols had. You would think we could recruit a decent QB to come to Tennessee. Until we get a difference maker at QB we will be a medicore team. Sad to say but true. No more Milton please. Hooker looks to be the best of the three we have.

I think Milton can be good when he settles into this offense better.
If we get cooper mays back and have things clicking on the OL, along with Milton hitting some of those deep balls, he can get us going, especially his power running. No he's not elusive, but he looks like a freight train running downhill ready to blast someone in front of him. He's done well in short/medium space.

Milton was coach's pick and he will start him if healthy. If Milton starts looking bad, I do see Hooker taking over.

Whoever trots out there, lets hope we can put on a show like they did against Bama and keep it close.

I think Milton can be good when he settles into this offense better.
If we get cooper mays back and have things clicking on the OL, along with Milton hitting some of those deep balls, he can get us going, especially his power running. No he's not elusive, but he looks like a freight train running downhill ready to blast someone in front of him. He's done well in short/medium space.

Milton was coach's pick and he will start him if healthy. If Milton starts looking bad, I do see Hooker taking over.

Whoever trots out there, lets hope we can put on a show like they did against Bama and keep it close.
Milton won the job in training camp. He was injured in the second game of the year. There isn't enough data on him this year to say he's lost the starting job--he needs to be given a reasonable shot and if he doesn't get it together, HH can then take over. I will say I like Hooker's ability to run, but I think Milton still needs a little better shot to keep the job he won before a move is made.

VN Store

Back