CJH Offense

T2P_Priceless

Just posted by the new QB Analyst. The resume of CJH and his offense have been discussed but these numbers are crazy.

These first 2 stats are exactly the reason the defense has to be unique, aggressive and risk taking. The offense won’t be on the field long so we need to get the defense off the field before long.

Now post his defensive stats
9th in wins includes the defense. That’s a sight better than where we’ve been for many years now.

I’m for giving him a chance, just like I was on board with Kiffin, Dooley, Butch and even Pruitt. Up until I wasn’t. I haven’t necessarily liked them all, but my initial reaction is to always give the guy a chance before I find something to gripe about.

Up to this point, they’ve never asked me the first time before they hired a coach and I doubt they ever will. Why go through life complaining?

9th in wins includes the defense. That’s a sight better than where we’ve been for many years now.

I’m for giving him a chance, just like I was on board with Kiffin, Dooley, Butch and even Pruitt. Up until I wasn’t. I haven’t necessarily liked them all, but my initial reaction is to always give the guy a chance before I find something to gripe about.

Up to this point, they’ve never asked me the first time before they hired a coach and I doubt they ever will. Why go through life complaining?
I’m not saying he’s a bad coach I’m just trying to be realistic. I’m not optimistic he will work out but I’m going to give him a chance

Shannon’s technically...
2018: 93rd

2019: 123rd

2020: 123rd
And that’s why we need a different coordinator! Seriously, Heupel ball is going to put a strain on any defense, this is just going to be a shock to our systems watching the style of play.
BUT, again, 9th in wins ain’t nothing. No one expects those kind of results here, especially after being shell shocked by Pruitt ball and Guarantano.
We may not win a lot, but it should at least be fun to watch. I’ve been at the point of not even caring for a couple years now. Hopefully, that changes.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Yes, it should fun watching our Vols scoring lots of points, once the offense gets established. But ultimately, it is about winning, which is even more fun, and that will take some defense too. No great insight, but do like the thought of scoring lots of points after all of these years.

Just posted by the new QB Analyst. The resume of CJH and his offense have been discussed but these numbers are crazy.

These first 2 stats are exactly the reason the defense has to be unique, aggressive and risk taking. The offense won’t be on the field long so we need to get the defense off the field before long.

Maybe one day they’ll get around to actually hiring a defensive staff.

Reactions: TJVol95
There is something to be said about the Heuper-Speed style of offense. Now, let's get a DC who can help accentuate those numbers and start playing some Heuper-Ball.

ENGAGE THE HEUPER-DRIVE!!!

Reactions: FïreBall
We dont do the whole "both sides of the ball" thing around here and haven't for some time. Haven't you been paying attention?
tenor.gif

"Points will be scored on Rocky Top this Fall..!!!"
That may well be true...but by WHOM..??
Thanks Sam...that pretty much sums me up as well. I'm no longer going to be all "starry-eyed" over a newly minted millionaire football coach, until I have given him a chance..and see some RESULTS.

"Points will be scored on Rocky Top this Fall..!!!"
That may well be true...but by WHOM..??

Thanks Sam...that pretty much sums me up as well. I'm no longer going to be all "starry-eyed" over a newly minted millionaire football coach, until I have given him a chance..and see some RESULTS.
Too much $$ envy on these boards, Guido.

Every single thing about your response made sense to me, except those three words "newly minted millionaire." He's only a millionaire because you and I made him one. I mean, he's happy to get the money I'm sure, but he just wanted to be a football coach.

Need to find a way to get over the fact that Power 5 football coaches make more money than you and me. I mean, so do rock stars, movie stars, and "TV personalities." Fact is, we--as society's component pieces--value our entertainment so much that we--collectively--give them all that money. Don't blame the beneficiaries for our addictions. They're just accepting what we--society--offer.

Yes, yes, "every word you said was true." Not talking about truth. Talking about fixation.

Now, you can make a stand about it and stop watching football (not just stop going to the games, don't watch or listen on TV or radio, either). I'm not gonna do that, but you can. Or, you know, accept the fact this is how our society rolls.

Last edited:
1.63 points per minute. Assuming those are game clock minutes, that == touchdown drives that last 4m 18s each. That's not as astoundingly fast as you might initially be imagining.

Or, put it a different way. Say we get the ball for 30 minutes and the other team gets the ball for 30 minutes (I know, this is a weakness of a fast-paced, prolific offense...the "you get 30 and I get 30" assumption is usually wrong, and not in the fast team's favor). But say we do have the ball for 30 minutes of each game, scoring 1.63 points each minute. That's 49 points a game.

Which is a lot, especially compared to our anemic offenses of recent years. But it's not 74 points, like A&M scored on LSU (while giving up 72 points) a couple of years ago. It's not 70 points, like Wisconsin scored on Austin Peay a decade back. It's a high football score, but not crazy high.
And, remember, it is a somewhat unrealistic hope to have the ball 30 minutes in an average game, if our offense is scoring fast. More likely, we'll be giving the clock advantage up to our opponents in most games. Might be more realistic to think we'll be on offense 24 game minutes (score 39 points), or even as low as 20 minutes (33 points).

As a point of comparison, we averaged 36 points per game in our three 2020 victories.

So I'm all for high-scoring offense. Just not expecting miracles from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Step 1...Put the ball in the checkerboards.

Step 2...Don't let the other Team score more than FG's.

Step 3...Everyone gets a $$$ raise at the end of each year.

Step 4...Never get too drunk at the AD's end of season party.

Do it again every season.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: Ratvol

VN Store

Back