Chris Weinke...Is he legit or a poser?

This guy was a lights out QB in college (even though old AF). No way he isn't able to pass on knowledge to JG. The issue lies in the whole knowledge transfer process...aka its JG and Pruitts fault.
My question is, if JG has limited potential, why do the other options not show any promise? There are some forum crushes on Maurer, but he is just a another risky slinger, more likely to take off running downfield.
I cannot confirm Weinke has effectively coached anyone. And the position coach whose position is killing our team is Coach Weinke.
tumblr_p2moy1007L1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

Reactions: turdherder11
I was never a big fan of him in his playing days. IMO his supporting cast is what made him back then. I have to agree he hasn’t shown us anything that he’s done to improve our OB’s. I feel his name has carried him long enough and time to move on.

Reactions: basspond
Weinke and Friend both. Neither have demonstrated they can coach or develop players.
Yet neither one has ever been brought up during the off-season as getting the axe...

What is the only reason we think Weinke is bad?
Friend seemed to "coach better " during our win-streak.

So what is it exactly that causes this uproar about them, and Chaney??

My question is, if JG has limited potential, why do the other options not show any promise? There are some forum crushes on Maurer, but he is just a another risky slinger, more likely to take off running downfield.
I cannot confirm Weinke has effectively coached anyone. And the position coach whose position is killing our team is Coach Weinke.
tumblr_p2moy1007L1qmob6ro1_400.gifv
You see what you see with JG right? We all do. Yet 😞...

Just listen to Pruitt's interviews about him...

Had Saban been hired in 2018 for us. He probably would have told JG to transfer.

There is an understanding with what Pruitt expects from the offense and what JG shows in practice.
He doesn't respect Shrout.
He's annoyed by Maurer.
He's conservative so he's taking forever with Bailey who enrolled early BTW..even with no spring practice, he's still been throwing with UT WRs throughout the entire of 2020.

Please explain

Putting all the blame in Pruitt is dumb and shows a lack of understanding of football. All leaders are only as strong as their soldiers. Pruitts assistants were hired because he thought they were good at their job. I believe he has given Weinke a fair shot at doing well at developing QBs. He hasn’t done that. That’s not Pruitts fault. It’s Weinke for being a sorry coach.

Do you honestly believe Pruitt thought, well Weinke really sucks but let’s hire him anyway? Come on man. Pruitt deserves a lot of blame but it’s not all on him.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Tough to say. It's really just JG.

Shrout was always a huge project.

Maurer is injured.

Bailey is a true Freshman and didn't get a real offseason due to Covid.

So how do you even evaluate Weinke? A lot of the stuff JG does wrong is just instincts that can't be taught.

The entire mess at QB really goes back to Butch Jones' final year. Jones recruited 2 good QBs in that 2018 class (Penix and Adrian Martinez). Both left after Butch was fired. Shrout was sort of a long-shot that we took a gamble on since it was too late to get a big name QB when Pruitt was hired in 2017. Maurer and Bailey are the first legit QB prospects we recruited. Both might be very good, but injuries and Covid have prevented us from seeing them much. As much as everyone wants to hate on Weinke, we probably won't know how good he is until we at least see another year from Maurer and Bailey.

Every player is different but Jonathon Crompton was in a similar situation when Kiffin took over, you could see that they gameplanned around Cromptons strengths and didnt play into his weaknesses, I dont see any reason why a competent QB coach and or OC could not do the same for JG, to be honest he looked better in Pruitts first year with Tyson Helton who i think was a better play caller to boot. Comments made by Pruitt yesterday were spot on to me, the 35 yard out routes to gain 4 yards are stupid and are just ripe fruit for a defender to pluck.....And get out of that stupid hurry up too, why hurry up to make a dang mistake? slow down and think and if nothing else your eating clock up and resting the defense.

Yet neither one has ever been brought up during the off-season as getting the axe...

What is the only reason we think Weinke is bad?
Friend seemed to "coach better " during our win-streak.

So what is it exactly that causes this uproar about them, and Chaney??
You bring up good points. While no one has brought up firing friend, I know there were still fans that weren't thrilled with him. The line was hyped up to be one of the bests coming into the season and they haven't lived up to that.

I don't blame JG's issues on Weinke at all. There's not much he could do there, but why aren't the others ready?

All in all, the line hasn't lived up to expectations and the QB room is the weakest link on the team. It's easy to point blame on those coaches.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Every player is different but Jonathon Crompton was in a similar situation when Kiffin took over, you could see that they gameplanned around Cromptons strengths and didnt play into his weaknesses, I dont see any reason why a competent QB coach and or OC could not do the same for JG, to be honest he looked better in Pruitts first year with Tyson Helton who i think was a better play caller to boot. Comments made by Pruitt yesterday were spot on to me, the 35 yard out routes to gain 4 yards are stupid and are just ripe fruit for a defender to pluck.....And get out of that stupid hurry up too, why hurry up to make a dang mistake? slow down and think and if nothing else your eating clock up and resting the defense.

Tyson Helton is underrated. VN hated him while he was here, but I don't think many posters understood how difficult it was to gameplan around the fact that your entire O-line is a giant mess that couldn't push back an above-average middle school D-line. I thought Helton had a lot of innovative gameplans, particularly that South Carolina game that we almost won.

While Chaney has been good for most of his career, he seems less adaptive than Helton. This isn't meant to suggest that I think he should be canned. Just that I feel like his gameplans have sometimes played into JG's weaknesses and it feels like he needs a certain type of QB to be effective. Though, in fairness to Chaney, it's really difficult to gameplan around things like your QB fumbling the ball when he pulls back to pass. Or your QB throwing a 2 yard pass to the deep sideline while a defender is camped out on your WR. All of JG's turnovers in that game were pretty elementary errors.

Tough to say. It's really just JG.

Shrout was always a huge project.

Maurer is injured.

Bailey is a true Freshman and didn't get a real offseason due to Covid.

So how do you even evaluate Weinke? (edit, see below) A lot of the stuff JG does wrong is just instincts that can't be taught.

The entire mess at QB really goes back to Butch Jones' final year. Jones recruited 2 good QBs in that 2018 class (Penix and Adrian Martinez). Both left after Butch was fired. Shrout was sort of a long-shot that we took a gamble on since it was too late to get a big name QB when Pruitt was hired in 2017. Maurer and Bailey are the first legit QB prospects we recruited. Both might be very good, but injuries and Covid have prevented us from seeing them much. As much as everyone wants to hate on Weinke, we probably won't know how good he is until we at least see another year from Maurer and Bailey.

You bring up good points. While no one has brought up firing friend, I know there were still fans that weren't thrilled with him. The line was hyped up to be one of the bests coming into the season and they haven't lived up to that.

I don't blame JG's issues on Weinke at all. There's not much he could do there, but why aren't the others ready? (This is how I feel, Weinke is either fired or put on notice. JG's play is at his level , but no replacement is ready.It is time for the QB coach to get the stare.)

All in all, the line hasn't lived up to expectations and the QB room is the weakest link on the team. It's easy to point blame on those coaches.

Tyson Helton is underrated. VN hated him while he was here, but I don't think many posters understood how difficult it was to gameplan around the fact that your entire O-line is a giant mess that couldn't push back an above-average middle school D-line. I thought Helton had a lot of innovative gameplans, particularly that South Carolina game that we almost won.

While Chaney has been good for most of his career, he seems less adaptive than Helton. This isn't meant to suggest that I think he should be canned. Just that I feel like his gameplans have sometimes played into JG's weaknesses and it feels like he needs a certain type of QB to be effective. Though, in fairness to Chaney, it's really difficult to gameplan around things like your QB fumbling the ball when he pulls back to pass. Or your QB throwing a 2 yard pass to the deep sideline while a defender is camped out on your WR. All of JG's turnovers in that game were pretty elementary errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back