Chris Lofton in the NBA

I don't think Lofton could play in the NBA either for all the reasons listed above.

Imagine Lofton with Asumnu's athleticism.

(MesoVol @ Mar 26 said:
I don't think Lofton could play in the NBA either for all the reasons listed above.

Imagine Lofton with Asumnu's athleticism.

Lofton with Asumnu's athleticism? that would be scary

(Taylor Moran @ Mar 26 said:
Lofton with Asumnu's athleticism? that would be scary
There's a guy in the NBA that fits that description, Gilbert Arenas.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
I love how the majority of this board, who talk about how terrible the NBA is and how they don't watch it, suddenly act as if they're Jerry West when it comes to evaluating Chris Lofton.
Hatvol, come on man, surely you can just share your views and opinion without knocking everyone on the board in the process. Not saying I don't agree with you in some instances, but still. Right or wrong everyone is entitled to their opinion.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
Mark Price was also one of the better passer/ballhandlers in the League. Also, prior to his knee problems, he was much quicker than Lofton.
Mark Price? Now there's a blast from the past. I may have never thought of that guy again in my life unless you all just brought him up. :lol:

(vol_freak @ Mar 26 said:
Hatvol, come on man, surely you can just share your views and opinion without knocking everyone on the board in the process. Not saying I don't agree with you in some instances, but still. Right or wrong everyone is entitled to their opinion.
You misinterpret my point. I'm simply saying this instance would be comparable to me claiming to offer an informed opinion as to the Lady Vols' chances in the tournament. The vast majority of posters on the board who give an opinion of the NBA say they don't like or watch it. How then can they have any basis for claiming Lofton will or will not make the League? I don't watch the Lady Vols, therefore I don't offer technical analysis of their games.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
You misinterpret my point. I'm simply saying this instance would be comparable to me claiming to offer an informed opinion as to the Lady Vols' chances in the tournament. The vast majority of posters on the board who give an opinion of the NBA say they don't like or watch it. How then can they have any basis for claiming Lofton will or will not make the League? I don't watch the Lady Vols, therefore I don't offer technical analysis of their games.
:eek:k:

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
Just because people don't watch it on a regular basis doesn't mean they don't check out a game on occasion or see highlights on SportsCenter. I don't think someone has to watch it every time it's on to get a feel for the talent level of the game and where a guy like Lofton might fit in. I don't care for the NBA myself and don't watch it often but I still think I can offer a "reasonable" opinion on that matter because that's just what it is, an opinion. You make it sound like someone needs to be a NBA GM to be entitled to an opinion. :hi:

(vol_freak @ Mar 26 said:
Just because people don't watch it on a regular basis doesn't mean they don't check out a game on occasion or see highlights on SportsCenter. I don't think someone has to watch it every time it's on to get a feel for the talent level of the game and where a guy like Lofton might fit in. I don't care for the NBA myself and don't watch it often but I still think I can offer a "reasonable" opinion on that matter because that's just what it is, an opinion. You make it sound like someone needs to be a NBA GM to be entitled to an opinion. :hi:
But you at least watch it. Many on this board make it a badge of honor that they don't follow the NBA. Therefore, their opinions on Lofton's prospects are no more valid than my opinions on Afghan Yack Racing.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
But you at least watch it. Many on this board make it a badge of honor that they don't follow the NBA. Therefore, their opinions on Lofton's prospects are no more valid than my opinions on Afghan Yack Racing.
I still don't know if I agree with that. I would argue that if you follow the college game closely enough you can learn about what type of players may or may not make it in the NBA. You can pick up on a lot of that from the announcers talking about where guys might be drafted and why. You can also get a feel for who the best players are and formulate an opinion on and who will get drafted.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
Look in the league now. Then tell me how many 6'2" guards with little to no quickness there are playing significant minutes.
Look Hatvol, just because many of us are turned off by the the current NBA, with the Iversons and Kobes, and don't follow or care about the NBA now, doesn't mean that we don"t understand what it takes to play pro ball. Many of grew up watching Magic, Larry, Doc, and MJ.

I find it hard to believe that a NBA team cannot find a spot for the best player on a team that beat Florida twice. I heard Pearl say on Volcalls that before next year he was going to work hard on teaching Lofton to penetrate and get to the foul line more often.

No one is claiming Lofton to be a NBA allstar, but I feel if a shooter like Steve Kerr can hang around in the NBA for a decade that Chris can. Lofton reminds me of Dana Barrows who played for Seattle and later the Celtics, smallish and not tremendously quick but a great long range gunner.

(rockydoc @ Mar 26 said:
Look Hatvol, just because many of us are turned off by the the current NBA, with the Iversons and Kobes, and don't follow or care about the NBA now, doesn't mean that we don"t understand what it takes to play pro ball. Many of grew up watching Magic, Larry, Doc, and MJ.

I find it hard to believe that a NBA team cannot find a spot for the best player on a team that beat Florida twice. I heard Pearl say on Volcalls that before next year he was going to work hard on teaching Lofton to penetrate and get to the foul line more often.

No one is claiming Lofton to be a NBA allstar, but I feel if a shooter like Steve Kerr can hang around in the NBA for a decade that Chris can. Lofton reminds me of Dana Barrows who played for Seattle and later the Celtics, smallish and not tremendously quick but a great long range gunner.
Does that mean Balkman or Tre Kelly are NBA prospects? South Carolina beat Florida twice. Dana Barrios was a much, much better ballhandler than Chris Lofton. He was also considerably quicker than Lofton. Steve Kerr, also a much better ballhandler than Lofton.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 26 said:
Does that mean Balkman or Tre Kelly are NBA prospects? South Carolina beat Florida twice. Dana Barrios was a much, much better ballhandler than Chris Lofton. He was also considerably quicker than Lofton. Steve Kerr, also a much better ballhandler than Lofton.
Great shooters are rare. CL has NBA range. His ballhandling will improve, though not bad now. How many turnovers did he have per game? (J. Smith is the guy who has ballhandling problems).

Chis is only a sophomore. and is already great, he has two years just to get better, if he works on his speed and ball handling he could make it

(rockydoc @ Mar 27 said:
Great shooters are rare. CL has NBA range. His ballhandling will improve, though not bad now. How many turnovers did he have per game? (J. Smith is the guy who has ballhandling problems).
Turnovers per game are no measure. Unless I missed something, he wasn't a primary ballhandler this year and wasn't being guarded by NBA level defenders.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 27 said:
Turnovers per game are no measure. Unless I missed something, he wasn't a primary ballhandler this year and wasn't being guarded by NBA level defenders.
your speaking as if lofton was going to the nba this year. He has two years to develope

(rockydoc @ Mar 27 said:

J. Smith doesen't have bad ball handling.

(Taylor Moran @ Mar 27 said:
your speaking as if lofton was going to the nba this year. He has two years to develope
Ten more years of college aren't going to make him bigger or faster.

I love the people saying he can "develop" quickness over the next two years. You have quickness or you don't. You can improve and be in top physical condition so that you can fully maximize what quickness you already possess, but you can't develop more quickness than you physically possess.

(therickbol @ Mar 27 said:
I love the people saying he can "develop" quickness over the next two years. You have quickness or you don't. You can improve and be in top physical condition so that you can fully maximize what quickness you already possess, but you can't develop more quickness than you physically possess.
yeah you can, with proper training you can be tons quicker. If you develop your lowerbody muscles the right way and train you can become quicker. Alot of athletes get quicker when they get proper training.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 27 said:
Ten more years of college aren't going to make him bigger or faster.
Exactly. You can improve speed somewhat with proper training but in this case not enough to make him NBA material. Put Ron Artest or Tayshaun Prince on him and see if he scores more than 6.....it ain't gonna happen. I don't mean to bash Lofton because he has been a great player for UT but he just does not have what he needs physically to play at the next level.

VN Store

Back