Chris Ledlum commits to Vols

I’ve been wondering the same thing. We need guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop, not Anosike 2.0.

Chris Ledlum is Chris Ledlum. He is not E.J. Anosike. Ledlum was a very successful Ivy League player and the Ivy League is not a bad hoops conference at all. For example, Missouri eked out a couple of wins over UT last year and then got demolished by Princeton in the NCAA tourney.

Perhaps adding an accomplished Ivy League player is what UT needs to take the next step forward. UT has an outstanding basketball program and just needs a few tweaks here and there to get even better, not a complete overhaul. I think adding Ledlum as well as Knecht are outstanding additions on paper. We will see how it pans out on the court.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. We need guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop, not Anosike 2.0.
The NEC and the Ivy League are nowhere near the same level.

Anosike had a 3.0 BPM in the NEC. Ledlum’s was 6.0 last year. Not the same at all. Much better competition and much better production.

Ledlum has a far more versatile offensive game than ON. ON pretty much exclusively relied on turn around mid-range jumpers, which worked really well 1 out of 3 games. Ledlum can actually handle the ball, can be used as a screener or as a ball handler, can post up, and will probably be a decent spot up option like ON was. ON only shot 33% from 3, so it's not like he was automatic. Keep in mind that Ledlum was the 1 option for Harvard, his quality of looks should improve here as a 3rd option. ON was a mediocre rebounder for his position, and not a good defender at all. Ledlum is better at shot blocking and significantly better at steals than ON. Ledlum should be more versatile on defense (not saying he'll be elite). There was many matchups where ON got played off the floor or hurt us because he wasn't quick enough to stay in front of a lot of 4s and wasn't big enough to guard 5s. Go watch the Missouri and Florida games for reference. Ledlum can't play the 5 most likely, but should fair pretty well at the 4 in the SEC, and can guard the 3 as well.
Great post! I watched the entire game Harvard played against Kansas and they were in it almost the entire game except maybe the final 2 minutes. Ledlum really likes taking people off the dribble and I think he will cause grief for 4’s guarding him. He won’t be our #1 option as you noted so shouldn’t be doubled often.

He didn’t seem like an out of area rebounder but he stats imply he is a good offensive rebounder in particular. Had a lot of steals and I was shocked he had more blocked shots than Nkamhoua. He really has to work on his perimeter defense and close outs but Barnes will demand it. I like him a lot.

Anosike had a 3.0 BPM in the NEC. Ledlum’s was 6.0 last year. Not the same at all. Much better competition and much better production.

The Anosike comparisons are just silly. Ledlum is much more skilled offensively and is a smoother athlete.

Great post! I watched the entire game Harvard played against Kansas and they were in it almost the entire game except maybe the final 2 minutes. Ledlum really likes taking people off the dribble and I think he will cause grief for 4’s guarding him. He won’t be our #1 option as you noted so shouldn’t be doubled often.

He didn’t seem like an out of area rebounder but he stats imply he is a good offensive rebounder in particular. Had a lot of steals and I was shocked he had more blocked shots than Nkamhoua. He really has to work on his perimeter defense and close outs but Barnes will demand it. I like him a lot.
Just to note on the blocked shots since I received some pushback, I wasn't suggesting Ledlum was some big time shot blocker, but he's certainly solid given his relative lack of size. Nkamhoua just wasn't a very good shot blocker despite having good length and athleticism. A lot of it is just a timing thing and being able to read and react to a play. That's why Grant was a very good shot blocker and 6'6" and not an explosive athlete.

Reactions: Namorto1
I would ex
Not sure. Even Kyle Alexander and Fulky at their best averaged 24 and 26 minutes per game. How many Aidoo gets will also depend on how many Awaka earns and the bigger question how much run does Estrella get? Ledlum is going to get a lot of minutes at the 4, so on frontcourt with 80 minutes available how is that carved up?

Awaka does 2 things that Barnes loves, rebounding and defense. And he can be an elite rebounder. Give him 20 minutes per game and not much time left for Estrella, of course that may be the plan. Without even considering Cade Phillips or Jefferson who others have suggested could play small 4 role.
I would expect Cade Phillips to redshirt as the front court will be a little crowded.

How much eligibility does he have left?
I believe he would have 2 years of eligibility if he is able to take a redshirt year in 2020 because the Ivy League canceled the season, entirely. He has only played 3 years, which would give him his final year of eligibility and a covid year, still.

Chris Ledlum is Chris Ledlum. He is not E.J. Anosike. Ledlum was a very successful Ivy League player and the Ivy League is not a bad hoops conference at all. For example, Missouri eked out a couple of wins over UT last year and then got demolished by Princeton in the NCAA tourney.

Perhaps adding an accomplished Ivy League player is what UT needs to take the next step forward. UT has an outstanding basketball program and just needs a few tweaks here and there to get even better, not a complete overhaul. I think adding Ledlum as well as Knecht are outstanding additions on paper. We will see how it pans out on the court.

speaking of Princeton, anybody remember Bill Bradley? he wasn't too shabby back in the day

No, no, no. Rick Barnes, Rick Pitino, and Mike Woodson all have no idea what they’re doing, which is why they wanted this kid so badly. You need to listen to VN posters instead of those three coaches.

VN Store

Back