Chick-Fil-A

I've never eaten Chik because I'm allergic to peanuts. I got a shake from their the other day though, and it was pretty good.

I have read that most people can be cured of a peanut allergy through graduated exposure administered by an allergist.

I've never eaten Chik because I'm allergic to peanuts. I got a shake from their the other day though, and it was pretty good.

My daughter has a severe peanut allergy as well as some tree nuts (carry epipen everywhere we go, exposure protocol involves calling 911) and we eat at CFA plenty. The peanut oil they use is highly refined which removes the proteins that you react to. Pressed or gourmet peanut oils are a different story.

I have read that most people can be cured of a peanut allergy through graduated exposure administered by an allergist.

This is primarily an investigational approach and should ONLY be attempted under the strict guidance of an experienced Allergist. Peanut allergy is not something to be taken lightly!

(Just doing my due diligence here)

My daughter has been in an allergen induction program for nearly a year now. It’s pretty amazing. It’s tailored specifically to her, with different kinds of nuts grouped together that are similar to each other allergen-wise, and started with micro-dosing of nuts that she already tolerates well, continuing with larger and larger doses and moving through the chart getting closer and closer to peanuts. It also includes sub-lingual therapy (a spray under the tongue).

Right now she’s up to eating 2 macadamias, 4 pecans and 6 almonds every day, and 1/8 tsp of pistachio. That last one is particularly cool because we once had a 911 ambulance call to the house over a pistachio exposure.

If things time out right, she may be able to eat freely from her Halloween bag this year for the first time ever. As someone who has spent the last decade reading food labels and doing internet research for everything we feed her, it would bring tears to my eyes to see her do that!

My daughter has been in an allergen induction program for nearly a year now. It’s pretty amazing. It’s tailored specifically to her, with different kinds of nuts grouped together that are similar to each other allergen-wise, and started with micro-dosing of nuts that she already tolerates well, continuing with larger and larger doses and moving through the chart getting closer and closer to peanuts. It also includes sub-lingual therapy (a spray under the tongue).

Right now she’s up to eating 2 macadamias, 4 pecans and 6 almonds every day, and 1/8 tsp of pistachio. That last one is particularly cool because we once had a 911 ambulance call to the house over a pistachio exposure.

If things time out right, she may be able to eat freely from her Halloween bag this year for the first time ever. As someone who has spent the last decade reading food labels and doing internet research for everything we feed her, it would bring tears to my eyes to see her do that!
That's awesome!

Reactions: Behr
That's awesome!

Yes, and you are absolutely right, you have to really check out the people who run the program. I would imagine there are people out there willing to exploit people’s desperation.

We found the place we go through friends whose children successfully completed the program. We even know people who have second kids going through it now after their first kids went through it.

Last edited:
And I have to add this disclaimer just to be clear: This program will not cure her allergy, she’ll probably always have it. This is just a tolerance induction program that teaches her body how to accept and handle the allergens. She will have to continue maintenance doses her whole life so her body doesn’t “forget”. Maybe that will mean eating a couple Reese’s Cups once a week or once a month or whatever, but it’s better than living with the anxiety.

And I have to add this disclaimer just to be clear: This program will not cure her allergy, she’ll probably always have it. This is just a tolerance induction program that teaches her body how to accept and handle the allergens. She will have to continue maintenance doses her whole life so her body doesn’t “forget”. Maybe that will mean eating a couple Reese’s Cups once a week or once a month or whatever, but it’s better than living with the anxiety.
Hope and pray it works for her.

Reactions: pismonque
It's all just preference to the seasoning. KFC original is the best.

I like CFA and Zaxby's both quite well. Just depends on the mood. I do prefer the CFA sandwich over most though. And the lemonade. Can't remember the last time I've been to a CFA and not had the lemonade, except for the frosted lemonade.

One thing I'll say for CFA is they do have excellent service for a fast food joint, even if their employees can be eerily Stepfordish at times. We once went to a CFA near Irvine, CA and it started raining while we were in there (not as frequent a thing in SoCal as it is in TN). When we went to leave, one of the employees was standing by the door with a big umbrella, waiting to walk us to our car. You don't get that at McDonald's.

So much blasphemy and heathen in here.

I can only understand the overrated claim if you aren't from a part of the country that has a Chick-fil-A, you've heard it talked up for years, and once you get around to trying it it just can't live up to everything you've heard. They hear it talked up, finally eat it one day, then say something like "It's good, but it wasn't as good as the chicken at insert name of a sit-down restaurant." People who haven't had it before get it built up to a ridiculous level of expectation and end up comparing it to something it really shouldn't be compared to.

You gotta remember though...CFA is a fast food restaurant. It should be compared to other fast food restaurants. The food and the service are just so incredibly superior (admittedly not a high bar, but CFA does a great job) to all their peers that I'm not sure how you can say it's overrated.

I can only understand the overrated claim if you aren't from a part of the country that has a Chick-fil-A, you've heard it talked up for years, and once you get around to trying it it just can't live up to everything you've heard. They hear it talked up, finally eat it one day, then say something like "It's good, but it wasn't as good as the chicken at insert name of a sit-down restaurant." People who haven't had it before get it built up to a ridiculous level of expectation and end up comparing it to something it really shouldn't be compared to.

You gotta remember though...CFA is a fast food restaurant. It should be compared to other fast food restaurants. The food and the service are just so incredibly superior (admittedly not a high bar, but CFA does a great job) to all their peers that I'm not sure how you can say it's overrated.

lol I make the same claim about Buddy's Bbq. Sure, you can say this place or that place is better, but it's fast food barbecue! How many places can you even get that? You can pull right off the road, drive up to a window and get a pulled pork sammich and hushpuppies. It doesn't have to be amazing, it just has to be reasonably good. And it is.

lol I make the same claim about Buddy's Bbq. Sure, you can say this place or that place is better, but it's fast food barbecue! How many places can you even get that? You can pull right off the road, drive up to a window and get a pulled pork sammich and hushpuppies. It doesn't have to be amazing, it just has to be reasonably good. And it is.

Yep, food/beer/whatever elitists don't understand value propositions, customers, target markets, etc.

Not every meal has to be Gordon Ramsay's finest to be good, just like not every beer has to be whatever disgustingly overhopped IPA is in style in that particular five minutes.

Yep, food/beer/whatever elitists don't understand value propositions, customers, target markets, etc.

Not every meal has to be Gordon Ramsay's finest to be good, just like not every beer has to be whatever disgustingly overhopped IPA is in style in that particular five minutes.
Yep.

There are of course legitimate gripes to be had, but in my experience most people who complain about restaurants, for some reason just have their expectations way out of whack from what the establishment actually is. If they went into it without any preconceived notions, or just less of a preconceived notion, they might think the place was actually pretty good.

So much of your level of happiness/satisfaction in life is where you set your expectations.

The service is great, the food not so much.

The Zaxby's we have here has really good food, but the restaurant itself is always a mess. And it's less than 2 years old. Always dirty tables and floor. Last time we were there the A/C was dripping water in about a half dozen places so you had to try and find a place to sit that was out of the line of fire. As for just the chicken aspect, Bob Evans broasted chicken is pretty darn good.

Reactions: volinfl5
I had a meal at Zaxby's Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa with friends and the restaurant was dirty and the food barely adequate.
I vowed never to go back again.

I am glad that you are taking a vacation because you're starting to talk really CRAZY...just like not every beer has to be whatever disgustingly overhopped IPA is in style in that particular five minutes:cool::eek::oops:

The Zaxby's we have here has really good food, but the restaurant itself is always a mess. And it's less than 2 years old. Always dirty tables and floor. Last time we were there the A/C was dripping water in about a half dozen places so you had to try and find a place to sit that was out of the line of fire. As for just the chicken aspect, Bob Evans broasted chicken is pretty darn good.
I've noticed that too about Zaxby's. I sometimes have to wait a while at Zaxby's either in the drive thru or inside. That basically never happens at CFA, no matter how crowded it is.

There's a much bigger gap between Zaxby's and Chick-fil-A on the service than there is on the food. Zaxby's chicken is pretty good - it'd easily be the best fast food chicken if CFA didn't exist, and it's definitely a place to seek out if CFA isn't available.

One thing I'll say for CFA is they do have excellent service for a fast food joint, even if their employees can be eerily Stepfordish at times. We once went to a CFA near Irvine, CA and it started raining while we were in there (not as frequent a thing in SoCal as it is in TN). When we went to leave, one of the employees was standing by the door with a big umbrella, waiting to walk us to our car. You don't get that at McDonald's.

They remodeled our local CFA. Put in the covered drive thru line. Have a person in a kiosk as you pull around for payment. Sliding doors where the windows used to be. they step out to hand you your order.

VN Store

Back