Chase McGrath returning - Definitely good news!

Now we just have to hope that CJH learns that it's OK to kick field goals at times instead of chasing 1st downs when it's 4th down on the opponent's side of the field.

Honestly, I'm ok with the aggressiveness. Wasn't crazy about the deep shots at the end of the Purdue game (setting up a 40yd FG would have been better) but maybe that's what the defense dictated?

Honestly, I'm ok with the aggressiveness. Wasn't crazy about the deep shots at the end of the Purdue game (setting up a 40yd FG would have been better) but maybe that's what the defense dictated?

Field goals matter and it can mean the difference between winning and losing, as demonstrated in the bowl game. I like aggressiveness at times when it's necessary but there were moments when Heupel just seemed to flat out refuse points when they were there for the taking. Yes, TD's are obviously better but it seems to me that odds of making a field goal are much higher than converting 4th downs into 1st downs.

Look there are several receivers out on the route so maybe the others were covered and Hooker decided to try the long pass to Tillman. You canā€™t put it all on the coach.

Field goals matter and it can mean the difference between winning and losing, as demonstrated in the bowl game. I like aggressiveness at times when it's necessary but there were moments when Heupel just seemed to flat out refuse points when they were there for the taking. Yes, TD's are obviously better but it seems to me that odds of making a field goal are much higher than converting 4th downs into 1st downs.
Ask Nick Saban about FGs vs TDs today šŸ˜‰

Now we just have to hope that CJH learns that it's OK to kick field goals at times instead of chasing 1st downs when it's 4th down on the opponent's side of the field.
That approach didn't work so well for Pruitt, who thought the way to save his job with a less talented team was to reduce the margin of loss.

I'm in the same boat as you. Loved the aggressive play calling this year. And I was frustrated with the deep shots at the end of the Purdue game as well. But then I heard some analysis on it and they mentioned that there was a good chance Purdue was defensively covering the middle short stuff and the deep pass was there, if only we could have hooked it up. You live by the sword, you die by the sword, I suppose. But all in all, this year's team was so much more fun to watch than since I can remember.

Man I still think Heupel being where he was,literally knew that the ref would throw that flag.It was borderline criminal the way Tillman got held that game,and being so obvious Hype had to think they get the flag.Why else go back to that same play in that scenario.Hopefully he learned,like stated that taking the FG is okay in that scenario.

Reactions: Warriorvol
I'm in the same boat as you. Loved the aggressive play calling this year. And I was frustrated with the deep shots at the end of the Purdue game as well. But then I heard some analysis on it and they mentioned that there was a good chance Purdue was defensively covering the middle short stuff and the deep pass was there, if only we could have hooked it up. You live by the sword, you die by the sword, I suppose. But all in all, this year's team was so much more fun to watch than since I can remember.

My biggest issue with how Heupel handled the game at the end was the fact that we ended regulation with 2 unused timeouts. I don't understand why you don't slow the game down there. At that point, you're not playing the other team. You're playing the clock. Running hurry up there at the end and not using our timeouts cost us plays. I read somewhere that they estimated that Heupel wasted about 14 seconds by not slowing the game down and using his timeouts. 14 seconds could've made all the difference in the world in terms of allowing a much more manageable field goal at the end.

Depends on where on the field and how many yards to go. I don't recall Heupel going for anything outlandish. College kickers are so inconsistent, too.

I'm not suggesting that he's infallible, and I think even he would say he would take back a few decisions. But the aggressiveness beats what we had the 3 years before that.

That approach didn't work so well for Pruitt, who thought the way to save his job with a less talented team was to reduce the margin of loss.
It seemed every loss under Pruitt was a blowout, so I'm not sure you can say he was effective reducing the margin of loss.

The thing is IF either of those passes had been completed, at the least it is a chip shot field goal or a TD. Then we would have all been talking about what a great call that was.

I agree with the aggressiveness, but would've liked to seen him get yardage to make the kick easier. The devil's advocate to this is, on the second throw that's probably a TD if Tillman wasn't grabbed (Horrible no call). If they connect on that then other stuff is mute point in all likelihood.

It seemed every loss under Pruitt was a blowout, so I'm not sure you can say he was effective reducing the margin of loss.
He sure tried! Go check last year's game against Alabama, when he dutifully kicked it every time it was short yardage. Doing his best to keep down the score, analytics be damned!

The thing is IF either of those passes had been completed, at the least it is a chip shot field goal or a TD. Then we would have all been talking about what a great call that was.

And IF Huepel had used his 2 remaining timeouts, it would've given us more time/chances to get closer. Also IF Heupel had kicked the FG in OT instead of going for it on 4th down...TWICE, we might have forced it into a 2nd overtime.

Sometimes you have to take the points, especially on 4th and long. Not taking 3pts on 4th and long on the 20 against Purdue cost us the game.

It was 4th and 1 on the Purdue 24. This is one that I would say is 50/50 or better. 41 yard FG is no gimmie in college.

You don't hand your opponent a win in OT by field goal. You just don't. Also Purdue was one of the worst red zone offenses in the country.
I would have kicked the field goal on the first 4th down. But, that was not my call. I just am not sure a field goal keeps us in the game. Not whining but Stevie Wonder could see the ball crossed the goal line before the whistle.
In my honest opinion, it should have never gone to overtime. We did not play our best game and you factor in the zebras and you get what we got. I do believe Heupel believes in our team and that had more to do with his decisions than anything. Sometimes the coach needs to show you he believes. I can remember once a coach of mine got us together and said it is time to decide who wants this more. We got the message. I do like trying to win much better than trying not to lose.

I agree with this 100%. Also, you need a stout defense to bail you out when you don't make the first down. With our defense, it was almost insuring a score from the other team.

VN Store

Back