Charlie Daniels passed, another true VFL gone

I heard from a friend that Charlie died.
If the devil knows what's good for him, he'll stay down in Georgia lookin' for a soul to steal.
(In accordance with Charlie's signature song)

Last edited:
This has really crushed me today. Such a great Vol. if you followed him on Twitter, he always made you smile with his positive uplifting posts. He’d tell you every night that he was turning in and to have a good one.
And he always started the day with a prayer. dam these onions

Anybody remember the annual concert he used to do in Nashville at what is now Nashville Shores?

Anybody remember the annual concert he used to do in Nashville at what is now Nashville Shores?

Not sure about the Nashville shores area shows. He used to do an annual Volunteer Jam at Starwood after he quit doing the Volunteer Jam on New Year’s Eve at Municipal.

My brother had somebody give him free tickets to the 1987 show. I was 17. We were right in the center to watch Stevie Ray Vaughan, what I believe was the first Lynyrd Skynyrd reunion and CDB. They all got on stage for the encore and jammed forever. Changed my life.

Back in the 80's a couple friends and myself went on a trout fishing trip one weekend to one of our favorite spots on The Little Sequatchie River(Tenn). It was very remote and you could only get to it in a four wheel drive. The best part about it besides the great fishing,was that there was an old cabin there that was unlocked and anyone could use it (as long as we kept it cleaned up, NO trash left behind). So we jumped in my 4 wheeler after work one friday evening and headed out, when we got there some one had beat us to the cabin which was really rare since few people knew about this spot. Disappointed we set up camp a little ways away by the river. later that night after it got dark we started hearing music coming from the cabin so we sat and listened to it, as it went on we started yelling request up to them and they would play them. They eventually invited us to come up and party with them so up we went and met three men who where very nice and said they were part of the CDB. We took that with a grain of salt but man they sure could pick and had several guitars a banjo and a couple coolers full of beer. We had a blast until the wee hours and we headed off to get some sleep before fishing at sunrise. The next day my friends and I met back at our camp after fishing at lunch time and was cooking some burgers and dogs when we noticed a new man walking down the hill from the cabin and lo and behold it was Charlie himself. Man we where knocked out of our socks, needless to say we offered him lunch and he was glad to have some food and visit. The rest of the weekend was spent fishing and listening to them pick and sing great acoustic music. It is one of those cherished memories that you gain and never forget.
RIP Charlie I will never forget you.

Last edited:
Dammit. Dunno what else to say. Was a fine purveyor of hillbilly music. RIP, Bubba.

Met him once when I was in high school while I was working at Kmart in Jackson. He had a concert that night at the Oman Arena. Him and his wife came in and was shopping, she was a very lovely lady and he was very gracious to a teenage star gazer. Signed a dollar bill I had and asked me not let anyone know they were in the store. Took time to talk to me like he had known me all my life. Great man a VFL he will be greatly missed

VN Store

Back