Changing job question..

FïreBall

GoVols!
If a person gets a offer from another company and that person signs the offer sheet and basic work info (W4, employee handbook, direct deposit, emergency contact.. Etc) and decides to stay with old company.. Are there any legal issues with declining the new job after signing these documents. No work was ever performed, start date is in another week.

If a person gets a offer from another company and that person signs the offer sheet and basic work info (W4, employee handbook, direct deposit, emergency contact.. Etc) and decides to stay with old company.. Are there any legal issues with declining the new job after signing these documents. No work was ever performed, start date is in another week.

No. Unless you signed a contract you are free to do as you please.

They almost certainly do not want someone who doesn't want to be there.
Happens all the time.

Unless you signed an employment contract, you should be fine.

What caused the change of heart?

Unless you signed an employment contract, you should be fine.

What caused the change of heart?
I am comfortable and like where I work currently. This company offered me out of the blue, more money etc. After talking with their former employees and gaining more information, I didn't like all that was stated to me on how they conduct business.

I am comfortable and like where I work currently. This company offered me out of the blue, more money etc. After talking with their former employees and gaining more information, I didn't like all that was stated to me on how they conduct business.

Does your current employer know?
Did they attempt to retain you?

Maybe you can leverage this into more pay...

Does your current employer know?
Did they attempt to retain you?

Maybe you can leverage this into more pay...
Yes, talked to them yesterday. Was a very stressful day to say the least. They are working on some things for me. I work for a awesome team and like my work. The company that offered is trending up and has a good business model.. I'm comfortable where I am at... Lots to consider but believe I am making a good decision. I wish I would have not rushed to accept with the new place.

Helpful hint. If you are ever in this situation, never accept the job offer without running by current employer first, especially if you like your current employer. If you are a good enough employee, you might create a bidding war. The job market is really tight now and good employees are gonna get paid.

My wife has a slightly different situation going on now (her company got bought by publicly traded company and she had change in control provision in her employment contract). She's got 60 days to renegotiate her existing contract or she can take a competitor's offer without having to worry about violating her NDA. She's got a bidding war with 3 companies.

Helpful hint. If you are ever in this situation, never accept the job offer without running by current employer first, especially if you like your current employer. If you are a good enough employee, you might create a bidding war. The job market is really tight now and good employees are gonna get paid.

My wife has a slightly different situation going on now (her company got bought by publicly traded company and she had change in control provision in her employment contract). She's got 60 days to renegotiate her existing contract or she can take a competitor's offer without having to worry about violating her NDA. She's got a bidding war with 3 companies.
That is awesome!

I agree with BOM. It doesn’t have to be about entirely about money either. I had a bad boss who reassigned me without asking me first. When I objected, he told me “take it or leave - no further discussion possible”. So I got a job offer from a competitor. I presented that offer to my current company (not the boss) and I was promoted and moved to another position. Never had to deal with my ex-boss again on anything job related.

Applied for a new job today with a great company. If I do get an offer I'll definitely go back to my current employer. I really love my job now but a good raise is hard to turn down

Applied for a new job today with a great company. If I do get an offer I'll definitely go back to my current employer. I really love my job now but a good raise is hard to turn down

Obviously, in these leverage plays, make sure the Company you apply for is a good company. You don't want your existing company to call your bluff. Sometimes it takes doing something like this for your company to realize your value and what "market" is in terms of comp.

Reactions: FïreBall

VN Store

Back