Chaney offenses, by the numbers: 2009-2018

The context is missing though. For instance, his first year at Ark was a step backward from before he came. Had nowhere to go but up. As was his first year at UGA, a step backward. Nowhere to go but up. Then he was handed the keys to the #4 talented team in the nation. Of course numbers went up. Now, with tons of more talent he's nearing Richt's best offense of 2014 (41 ppg), but didn't reach it.

You can see the UT offense went down the first few years. Not progress. A great 2012 with veterans was a 1-off, but had he stuck in 2013 the numbers clearly would have went down again as all our talent left (not his fault).

The issue is he really doesn't have a system that can get through times of less talent. He needs constant talent or else he struggles.
Don’t want to talk about Pruitt’s elite defense?

Reactions: Volanta
Unlike Georgia’s defense. Tennessee defense under Pruitt will smash them.

Yeah, their D wasn't quite elite his year, but 14th nationally. Exact same ranking as their offense, not matching their talent level.

Pruitt needs to get more out of our talent than we have to have a chance. Hope he can do that. We need an advantage SOMEWHERE.

Eh? This year? Not sure what you mean.

Hope he can build one here, but he'll have to prove he can do it without top talent. Time will tell!
Top talent? But he has too talent coming in on defense this year. Those that are coming back will have developed more. You don’t think that this defense can be stronger with what’s coming back, the 18 class, and the 19 class together?

The offense here in 2012 was pretty good without much 4/5 star talent. There was Patterson, I guess.

4*s aplenty.

Bray
Neal
Lane
Patterson
Hunter
Tiny
Stone
James

and some 3*s coached up so well as to get drafted - Thomas & Rivera.

Top talent? But he has too talent coming in on defense this year. Those that are coming back will have developed more. You don’t think that this defense can be stronger with what’s coming back, the 18 class, and the 19 class together?

It should certainly be better, though the DL is a concern. I just mean he'll have to prove he can coach up and call plays without the top-5 talent he's accustomed to. The D wasn't very good last year, so there's a long ways to go to reach good, great, or elite. But his recruiting efforts should accelerate the progress.

It should certainly be better, though the DL is a concern. I just mean he'll have to prove he can coach up and call plays without the top-5 talent he's accustomed to. The D wasn't very good last year, so there's a long ways to go to reach good, great, or elite. But his recruiting efforts should accelerate the progress.
I think our D held its own against Georgia, until they gassed at the end. That fumble sure hurt us in the 4th. It was only 24 to 12 there in the late third and early 4th. Our defense shut down an Auburn offense that was supposed to be good, and played well. Our defense shut down Kentucky allowing only 7 points in that game. I thought our defense held pretty good a lot of times against Florida, despite the six turnovers that we had. Our defense allowed us to close the score the best that we could against Florida. I think they shut down Florida three times in a row, and we scored once or twice there. I think in 2019, people are going to be surprised on what our defense can do this year.

Reactions: SCRocket
Go back and look at the OL, and of course your QB. Sheesh.
The only 5 star player was Cordarelle Patterson (out of JUCO). Now, Tyler Bray was a 4 star and a good college QB. JuWaun James, Tiny Richardson, Zach Fulton and James Stone made for a good offensive line... However, James and Richardson were the only 4 stars. Fulton and Stone were 3's, though Fulton developed really well and has had a nice NFL career. Justin Hunter was a 4 star WR. So, that's 1 5 star JUCO transfer and 4 4 stars on offense. That's actually not much different than what we have now - if we are still including Trey Smith on the team.

Probably get us back into the mid 50s nationally in offense in a couple years. Hopefully recruiting goes really well during that timeframe. If we can get some elite talent he can probably get the offense into the 20s-30s if everything is going well in year 4.

As for the hire, Id rate it as a decent one. We all wanted a nice Mercedes or even a Lexus. We got a Honda Accord. Reliable. some nice features, will probably get us where we want to go.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
And think he actually had decent QB's with those numbers. Don't expect those numbers to improve here. Those are rookie numbers. Its going to take a few years for Chaney to pump them up.

The context is missing though. For instance, his first year at Ark was a step backward from before he came. Had nowhere to go but up. As was his first year at UGA, a step backward. Nowhere to go but up. Then he was handed the keys to the #4 talented team in the nation. Of course numbers went up. Now, with tons of more talent he's nearing Richt's best offense of 2014 (41 ppg), but didn't reach it.

You can see the UT offense went down the first few years. Not progress. A great 2012 with veterans was a 1-off, but had he stuck in 2013 the numbers clearly would have went down again as all our talent left (not his fault).

The issue is he really doesn't have a system that can get through times of less talent. He needs constant talent or else he struggles.

not worried about a down year here or there. Every o c with track record has these, especially in this conference. Are there better oc out there? Sure. But we weren't getting them. Best hire under the circumstance. We can upgrade later.

Probably get us back into the mid 50s nationally in offense in a couple years. Hopefully recruiting goes really well during that timeframe. If we can get some elite talent he can probably get the offense into the 20s-30s if everything is going well in year 4.

As for the hire, Id rate it as a decent one. We all wanted a nice Mercedes or even a Lexus. We got a Honda Accord. Reliable. some nice features, will probably get us where we want to go.
Nah. This is like wanting a Ferrari birthday cake but getting an Acura birthday cake instead.

People need to read that graph correctly. The conclusion is that like most any other coordinator, it will take a few years for the improvement to show. I hope people don’t think Chaney will lead us to the promise land as early as next year

Best hire we could have made IMO. He frustrated the hell outta me at times when he was here but he's improved since his first tenure in Knoxville. This gives me a little reassurance that we are now serious about winning again. Get him some talent to work with and he'll do good things here.

You have to keep in mind that when he was here he had bosses . Dooley was all up in the offense even calling plays at times . So what you saw , may not have been all him and it was not even his total offense with Kiff or Dools. I think the chart shows what impact a coach can have on the quality of players ...notice what he was able to do at the various stops relative to the quality of his personnel. A solid OC can improve things , but they can't get blood from turnips. I am hoping he does here what he was able to do at UGA

VN Store

Back