Chaney did not lose this game for us

OrangeBeachVol

He is calling plays with one hand tied behind his back due to JG's liabilities and he has to call plays around him because he cannot trust a QB that is as dangerous as JG is throwing the ball. 2 of every 3 passes are thrown into double or triple coverage, BYU could have had at least 3 int's last night. and the TD pass was a lucky deflection. As the announcer, Greg Mckelroy stated all night when he did go thru his progressions he was always late throwing the ball and the D had recovered by then. And Oh yeah, the OL missed on 2 4th and 1's and a 3rd and1.

For Chaney to call the game plan he wants you have to at least have a QB that your not afraid to call any play you want and a decent O line would help. Chaney is to the problem.

Last edited:
The bottom line is , Cheney can only call plays that JG can execute and that is why he only calls 4 or 5 plays. The only ones he can execute with confidence is a hand off. This is all about not having a QB to work with. If its Pruitt that wont let Cheney switch QBs then JG will help Pruitt get fired but if its Cheney then he should get fired. Personally I think its Pruitt because the same thing was going on last year.

There are things he could have done better.

When byu started compensating for us running to the TE side, he could have countered with some reverses or rollout passes to loosen up the defense.

I also didn't see any 50/50 balls to Calloway after JJ started getting double-teamed.

Let Chaney have the quarterback he needs. He is an offensive mind who wins games. He did it when he was here before and at Georgia. Let the man do his job. Pruitt is a defensive coach. I hear on the street that maybe the power grab is not in coaching staff but in the AD main office (one where donuts are kept? Just rumor on the street and have heard a lot of them all the same. Oh well us vol gals aren’t supposed to know anything about football. We only buy tickets and go to games.

He is calling plays with one had tied behind his back due to JG's liabilities and he has to call plays around him because he cannot trust a QB that is as dangerous as JG is throwing the ball. 2 of every 3 passes are thrown into double or triple coverage, BYU could have had at least 3 int's last night. and the TD pass was a lucky deflection. As the announcer, Greg Mckelroy stated all night when he did go thru his progressions he was always late throwing the ball and the D had recovered by then. And Oh yeah, the OL missed on 2 4th and 1's and a 3rd and1.

For Chaney to call the game plan he wants you have to at least have a QB that your not afraid to call any play you want and a decent O line would help. Chaney is to the problem.

Freaking spot on........give it!!!°°

Reactions: lynnh
That call is Pruitt's and...without any doubt...it's pretty clear that it's a very bad one.

Living in SC and having to deal with a lot of game chicken fan friends, I watched last week's SC/NC game. The consensus afterward was that 4th quarter Chinese fire drill put on by the chickens was due to their then qb, Jake Bentey's, inability ro keep his team running on all cylinders. IE, he just wasn't effective at running that offense consistently; couldn't be trusted in crucial situations. Bentley was injured on his team's last offensive play (in which he threw an INT) and they lost a heart-breaker against an inferior bunch of NC Tarheels. Does this sound familiar? Yesterday SCjr's freshman 2nd stringer, Ryan Hilinski, took the reins and (Voila!), suddenly that same discombobulated offense immediately looked balanced and syncronized. One player...yes, yes...clearly the most important one player...can create a paradigm shift in a team's disposition.

I've supported JG and recognize he's a bona fide gifted athlete and that he's giving it all for UT. Nonetheless, his inconsistent passing and inept (and slow) decision making is stalling the Vols' offense and, quite often, the ball is turned over, passes are inaccurate and obvious reads just aren't being read. It's time for the next man up.

At this stage of this train wreck of a season...what's there to lose?

He is calling plays with one hand tied behind his back due to JG's liabilities and he has to call plays around him because he cannot trust a QB that is as dangerous as JG is throwing the ball. 2 of every 3 passes are thrown into double or triple coverage, BYU could have had at least 3 int's last night. and the TD pass was a lucky deflection. As the announcer, Greg Mckelroy stated all night when he did go thru his progressions he was always late throwing the ball and the D had recovered by then. And Oh yeah, the OL missed on 2 4th and 1's and a 3rd and1.

Nope its not on Chaney...…………….
The bottom line is , Cheney can only call plays that JG can execute and that is why he only calls 4 or 5 plays. The only ones he can execute with confidence is a hand off. This is all about not having a QB to work with. If its Pruitt that wont let Cheney switch QBs then JG will help Pruitt get fired but if its Cheney then he should get fired. Personally I think its Pruitt because the same thing was going on last year.

CJP has hooked his wagon to JG he won't play anyone else he will look stupid if anyone but JG is successful, if he were fired he walks away with
9mil nothing to lose ...…...……………………...

If he will bench JG (who knows?) then he needs to start one of the others this week.
Would be a mistake to throw a true freshman to the wolves like FL, AL or GA his first time out! JMO

Reactions: AM64
I thought his play action calls were well timed and the receivers were in a good place to make a play...of course the ball has to get to them for that to happen.

Who does everyone thing is responsible for an offense that scores 16 in regulation against BYU? Not looking blame a coach or player, just wanting someone on this team to show leadership and do the things that need to be done, players and coaches included. Anyone that the university is paying money needs to be part of the solution. If Chaney is worth all this money, this team is an opportunity to show he is more than a play caller for elite talent like he had at UGA. He’s gotta develop some players.

There are things he could have done better.

When byu started compensating for us running to the TE side, he could have countered with some reverses or rollout passes to loosen up the defense.

I also didn't see any 50/50 balls to Calloway after JJ started getting double-teamed.

Every ball JG throws is 50/50.
More like 30/70 really.

Overall, I agree. you have to call plays to the ability of the QB....JG is limited and this is the crap stuff that we get. I say put in a freshman, JG never had the ability. JG should have just played for Rutgers and stayed out of the SEC. He's low big 10 at best.

I respectfully disagree with you. IMHO, Chaney made some bad calls in the 4th quarter.
JG simply did not play well, as usual.

Other than calling a reverse on 4th and 1 i don't think he called that bad a game. Stretch play was working, go with it.

Even there I think if the BYU player doesn't make the play there was nothing but open field. At the time I thought it was terrible, but, the replay looked like it might have been brilliant minus one BYU player making the play.

VN Store

Back