Chances Tennessee ends with #2 rated class?

Reactions: Volanta
Low. I'm excited as anyone, but this class is still VERY, VERY 3* heavy. Sure, we'll get a few more 4* and 1-3 will get bumped in rankings. But we'll probably also lose 1-2 blue chippers. It's a good start, but we all know it's how we finish

Can Tennessee stick at No. 2 in the recruiting rankings?

There’s less total 4 and 5 star players early in the recruiting cycle. Examples of this are both Terrance Lewis and Tiyon Evans.

Terrance Lewis is the number 19 player in the nation on rivals but only a 4*. Every year they name 30-35 5*.

Evans is the #3 juco in the nation but only a 3* right now on 247. They normally rank 10-15 jucos as 4 stars.

So your notion is misguided. It’s early in the cycle. This early in the cycle, not all of the stars have been awarded.

Who pissed in his cornflakes this morning?

Top 10 is definitely attainable, so is Top 5. Remember, Pruitt and Co had most of their players upgraded in final rankings last year, catapulting us to the Top 10 very late.

Lots of time for things to play out--including letting a few guys walk or gray-shirt. Team rankings are nice, but as long as it fills important needs with excellent players, who cares?

Zero unfortunately. We might stay top 5 but OSu has such a lead and the services always lean to Bama, Clemson and Ga.

Reactions: jonnon111
There’s less total 4 and 5 star players early in the recruiting cycle. Examples of this are both Terrance Lewis and Tiyon Evans.

Terrance Lewis is the number 19 player in the nation on rivals but only a 4*. Every year they name 30-35 5*.

Evans is the #3 juco in the nation but only a 3* right now on 247. They normally rank 10-15 jucos as 4 stars.

So your notion is misguided. It’s early in the cycle. This early in the cycle, not all of the stars have been awarded.

I agree! The article also failed to mention the most obvious way to stay near the top is to recruit over some of the 3* players. It happens every year to some degree and if any school has the chance to upgrade at a spot they will take it. Kids do the same thing.

0%

Top 10 is attainable.

Too many 3 star commitments in comparison to the usual recruiting big dogs.

Cull the herd of 3 stars, and replace with 4’s, and we are on to something.

Yeah.
So we can make room for that 200 pound RB that runs a 4.3.

Or, maybe we can add a JUCO RB that's 225 and returns kicks and runs sub 4.5??

Reactions: chef3531 and Alto1
i would say that multiple 3 star commits will move up to 4 star but I would hope to stay in the top 8

Rucker has offers from Bama, UF and Clemson But still a 3 star on 247.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2xVol
Low. I'm excited as anyone, but this class is still VERY, VERY 3* heavy. Sure, we'll get a few more 4* and 1-3 will get bumped in rankings. But we'll probably also lose 1-2 blue chippers. It's a good start, but we all know it's how it looks in 2023 and 2024 when they are Sophs and Jrs.

FYP

we will take the best 28 players we can get. If you have committed and someone is better than you, you will probably be playing for a different team than Tennessee. I still think we end up in the 3-5 rated class. Don't be surprised if by the end of the cycle we have 4-5 5-star players and just a few 3 star players.

I feel like whoever commits and sticks should know that WE TN fans will make them super rich if an when the NCAA allow kids to be compensated. We have one of the biggest fan bases across the country. Thats my opinion, am I wrong?

we will take the best 28 players we can get. If you have committed and someone is better than you, you will probably be playing for a different team than Tennessee. I still think we end up in the 3-5 rated class. Don't be surprised if by the end of the cycle we have 4-5 5-star players and just a few 3 star players.
I think so too. 5-7th ranked class in the end

I feel like whoever commits and sticks should know that WE TN fans will make them super rich if an when the NCAA allow kids to be compensated. We have one of the biggest fan bases across the country. Thats my opinion, am I wrong?

you are wrong if you think I’m going to make them rich. I’m still working on getting myself there.

Reactions: Truth is honor
This article is spot on and something to pay attention to. IT is not negative, only reality. Our ranking will drop and we are likely to end up 4th or 5th in SEC. But this will be a really good class that hopefully builds momentum. Very unlikely that ALA,LSU,GA and FLA will not pass us in the rankings with other closing like TAM. The fact that we our in the final few of some of these guys that look to be committing elsewhere is also a good sign. This is better than baby steps but if fans start hanging their hat on us being the #2 class then they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

It’s possible. Early momentum and likely several more hopping aboard and a few getting higher ratings then what they are now. I would also see a little attrition. Not saying likely, but definitely possible. Bama, LSU, Georgia still have a lot of room in their classes though.

I trust this coaching staff, if you are looking just at the *****, then you might be missing the big picture. Pruitt and company are building sustainability, consistancy, team chemistry, development etc. If *s is your only measurement, You might be selling this team short. I don't believe this staff gives a rat's ass about *s, that is the like the bow on a package, its whatever inside that counts.

0%

Top 10 is attainable.

Too many 3 star commitments in comparison to the usual recruiting big dogs.

Cull the herd of 3 stars, and replace with 4’s, and we are on to something.
Some will get bumped up to 4*s I'm sure.

I can't recall any other group I've been involved with as a fan, coach, or player other than many on VN that goes to bed every night seemingly praying if we could only get worse they'd feel better.

Reactions: sameolvol

VN Store

Back