CFP.....deep thoughts

I think it would make the regular season less interesting. Why play any OOC games, especially against quality opponents?
Would there be any reason for strengthening your conference top to bottom, ACC model will become the norm

The out of conference schedules are mostly uninteresting already.

Reactions: AM64
No it wouldn't. The 3 at larges would be based on team ranking. The playoff teams this year would have been...

LSU
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Georgia
Florida
Baylor

That's a hell of an 8 team playoff and would result in some really good games.

I just don’t get people who claim to be CFB fans arguing against more games b/t the best teams.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
I just don’t get people who claim to be CFB fans arguing against more games b/t the best teams.
I don’t want more playoff games, I do want better bowl games. I wish the change is to eliminate all the automatic bowl tie ins and use the rankings to pair the teams. Not necessarily 7 vs 8 but 5 vs 6-12 so that you could get a level of rivalry.

Tonight's Clemson win just shows to go, OSU should have never been #1 at any point in the season.

You are correct sir ... and those that disagree ... well they just don't know what they are talking about. The facts, LSU played 5 different teams during the regular season that were ranked inside the Top 10 at the time they played. THE ohio state played only 2. This is not to say that THE ohio state is not a good team this year, they are BUT they should NEVER have been ranked in front of LSU and therefore should NEVER have been #1.

Last edited:
nah.... If they had an agenda they'd punish Clemson for knocking off their golden boys last year.
I didn't agree with calling back the fumble that got returned for a touchdown.
Hmm.... two teams from the south playing at a city in the south = $$$$. Not Rocket science.

I noticed the same thing, not just on Clemson, but every playoff team, Oklahoma, LSU, even OSU, there were several players from Tennessee, and I know that every state loses players but we can least afford it!

I don’t want more playoff games, I do want better bowl games. I wish the change is to eliminate all the automatic bowl tie ins and use the rankings to pair the teams. Not necessarily 7 vs 8 but 5 vs 6-12 so that you could get a level of rivalry.
It you’re not interested - don’t watch. Why advocate to take away opportunities from the unpaid players...

Hope the championship game is this good.

Probably one of the best games I've watched since that 2012 (iirc) OSU-Clemson game in the Orange Bowl.

OSU had so many little fails here and there that cost them. Great play on the safety blitz and sack to end a drive, but TL ducked into the safety and it became a Target. It's a still born rule, but it was an infraction. Huge flip right there.
Couldn't convert anything in red zone to TDs. Shocking for a team that can run it well.
Moron bailed CU out with a punt roughing.
That good running back made a fatal error on the screen TD. He stuck the ball accross the goal line on the catch as if it was a run. It woulda been a TD. But bc it was a catch the rule states you have to COMOLETE the catch all the way thru to have possession. Just an error in judgement costing an easy TD.
And I'm sorry, I hate OSU right up there w ND, but when a receiver catches it solidly, and takes 3 steps before the DB strips it AND it's called a fumble on the field, then you cannot reverse that as a "indisputable" evidence of an incomplete. SEC replay officials took away a TD and changed the game incorrectly IMO.

I was impressed w Fields more than expected. He's not a great pocket passed, but pretty effective. Hits the game winner if the WR doesn't get confused and break off route. OSU should have leaned on Fields feet more imo.

As bad as I hate saying it, I ALMOST feel sorry for OSU fans. Almost! Personally thot they were better last night, but shot themselves in the foot on some odd plays. And Trevor Lawrence ... Lord!

Reactions: DixieVol
The rosters of at least three of the teams, that played last night (OSU, LSU and Clemson) have been seriously bolstered by the lack of a serious UT football program. Most obviously, Clemson. Ohio, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia have been treasure chests for The UT Football Program, traditionally.
As UT has fallen, USC, Clemson, and UGA have risen. Not to mention, Bama and LSU have gotten immensely stronger. UF has remained pretty potent, despite a 2 year span that kinda sucked.
A UT resurgence, would trigger a fall off by several other programs. Stop losing top recruits=stop losing to UGA, etc. Plus, other programs will directly affected. I.E. Clemson. UNC, UVA, UK, etc.
If UT returns to top form, it spells disaster for several programs. But, not Florida. As they beat our ass, no matter what. Lawrence Wright. LOL

Hot take: I don’t think LSU or Clemson’s defense’s will stop LSU or Clemson’s offenses. Clemson is literally taking their national title winning offense back to another Title game.
Not unless they can score 40, which they won’t

I went to the Peach Bowl. It was an awesome game to attend with some friends before heading to the Jacksonville to watch Tennessee. OU was outmatched in every aspect of the game. LSU was a team on a mission. The announcers at the game said the backup QB at OU is a better passer. Was sitting next to OU fans and they were trash talking saying how overrated the SEC is and how all fans were elitist mentality. I was decked out in UT gear. The row in front of me were LSU. They looked at me and said, well I don't like UT but they seem to be heading the right direction. Wasn't fun being between OU and the LSU fans. Talk about trash talking lol

IMG_20191228_140702.jpg

With quality coaching we can be much better than 6th in the SEC or whatever recruiting ranking we hit. This staff can probably out perform Fulmer's staff if they stay together in my opinion, as far as results versus talent. Fulmer was a great CEO and recruiter, but Cut was the glue for a lot of our success back then. Is Chaney on par with Cut? I don't think so but as a whole this staff is very good and should begin to show it in W column soon. Great defense wins as Alabama history and our own have shown. Therefore, with Pruitt at the helm I think we are going to have that as our basic makeup under him as HC.

The rosters of at least three of the teams, that played last night (OSU, LSU and Clemson) have been seriously bolstered by the lack of a serious UT football program. Most obviously, Clemson. Ohio, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia have been treasure chests for The UT Football Program, traditionally.
As UT has fallen, USC, Clemson, and UGA have risen. Not to mention, Bama and LSU have gotten immensely stronger. UF has remained pretty potent, despite a 2 year span that kinda sucked.
A UT resurgence, would trigger a fall off by several other programs. Stop losing top recruits=stop losing to UGA, etc. Plus, other programs will directly affected. I.E. Clemson. UNC, UVA, UK, etc.
If UT returns to top form, it spells disaster for several programs. But, not Florida. As they beat our ass, no matter what. Lawrence Wright. LOL
I've thought this for awhile...just waiting for it to happen. SC, KY would fall further. A strong FSU/Miami are the biggest threats for UF. At some point, something's going to have to give in SEC W. Bama and LSU now making life real tough on Auburn and TaM...too high priced coaches to live w/ 4-5 losses every year, and not have pressure to change. For the East, I see us probably becoming more like an Auburn. Good most years, with a splash year every now and then, and worst years are 7-5. Once you have your depth on D and O, the difference w/ all these top teams is having THE QB who takes you over the top. Maybe Bailey is the guy.

Next year, we play 4 teams in early top 10...UF, UGA, Bama, OK. Need to figure out how to win at least one of these.

No it wouldn't. The 3 at larges would be based on team ranking. The playoff teams this year would have been...

LSU
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Georgia
Florida
Baylor

That's a hell of an 8 team playoff and would result in some really good games.

You can not expand playoffs and leave the highest ranked G5 school out. Won’t happen.

And once again, those bottom 5 teams are no where close to the top 3

Reactions: CrybabyVol

But i bet you had no problem with those clients leaving your old company to follow you to your new one. Players commit to coaches. This isn’t a difficult concept

No, it proved that 4 teams ISN'T enough. Better teams were sitting at home when they could've been in the playoff, had it been expanded to 8 teams.

That's not what you are advocating. Do you understand the point you are attempting to make? You are advocating for putting undeserving teams in.

- elite QBs win championships. Both LSU and Clemson’s QBs were lights out. Will HB be this kind of elite?

- would TN be the Clemson team we have seen over the past 5 years had we avoided the dysfunctional decade? How many names did you hear on Clemson’s roster tonight that would likely have been Vols had we picked the right coach the first time?

- was OK that bad or is LSU that good? Will we be able to score on that defense next year? Give them a fight next year?

- I would love to see LSU win it all but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about coach O telling our recruits to not attend class as he snuck off with Kiffin.

Just a few thoughts after watching the two games today? What say you?
rest assured that even if UT signed all the kids that got away, the on-field team success would not be the same or close to Clemson over the past 8 years. Clemson has proven that their coaching system develops players, similar to Saban's system. With guys like Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch, all those players would have never reached their talent potential and those coaches are not good game managers either. Dabo and Saban have proven that they can win with players from any state and all of UT's previous coaches have proven they were never elite. Cudos to those kids for making a good decision and going to a school that can further their playing careers. there should be zero remorse about losing those kids to other teams because they would of wasted their talent under our coaches; and some of those kids could have saved Butch's job with Tennessee and that would be worse. Mike Hamilton created this mess and no parent should send their elite athletic child to a school that is dysfunctional from the top down.

PS. Dabo's success will be tested once he loses Vendables, similar to Fulmer losing Cutcliffe.

PSS. i am sure people will defend Kiffin as a good coach but his track record does not prove that. He is a great play caller but a terrible CEO. He did a decent job at Tennessee but made terrible player recruiting decisions and would have caused future issues if stayed the same course as UT head coach. He is not a CEO, nor will he ever be. He is perfect for Ole Miss; they love trash talk, have mediocre expectations, dont mind recruiting criminals, and could care less about being on probation.

VN Store

Back