CFP Championship: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington (7:45PM EST)

Penix wilted in the moment. That’s about all that can be said.
UM pass rush and lack of a healthy RB really hurt Washington’s offense. All they really had was a short passing game.

Inability of their receivers to get separation downfield was also a problem (e.g. post #483 above).

Reactions: Sin City Vol
Teams like Washington and TCU are only competitive in the first round of a playoff game because they have extended time to prepare.

When you go back to a regular week to prep, the teams that are traditionally, deeper and more consistent meaning not requiring tricks and alterations to be successful will ultimately win out most of the time.

Reactions: BrookhavenVol
How do you think Georgia would have fared against either of these teams?

Also, Kalen DeBoer deserves some major credit for this run. That program was really down after Petersen left them unexpectedly and getting them within one bad quarter of a title is highly impressive. Dude can coach.
He couldn't beat OSU for 7 straight years and he can coach?

I know most of us want Washington to win but it’s nice getting to watch a natty and not having to hardcore root against Bama or UGA. Just sit back and enjoy.
Told my wife this same thing today. It was nice. Not having to care who won. Until the end it was a close game as well. I was really hoping we would get an OT National Championship to send off the PAC 12 fighting. But it wasn’t meant to be it seems.

Reactions: kennedy262
The old adage "cheaters never win" had been disproven! Again. At least it wasn't the Gumps though.
Every single team in college football cheats, which is why I cannot stand the NCAA’s hypocrisy on which teams get punished and which ones get away with it. When UNC got busted for having a non-existent class that athletes got to take, the NCAA came up with a loophole to allow them zero punishment. When Auburn got caught giving money to Cam Newton’s dad, same thing. It’s all incredibly corrupt, even at our beloved UT.

Rewatching sections of the game made me realize how bad this Washington team was defensively in the first quarter. Their alignment and DB play reminded me of us in the UF game. Both of the long TD runs were because of poor alignment. They were massively unprepared. I don’t think this UW team would have been in the SEC CG. They were probably the 3rd or 4th best team in our league at best. They and Missouri would be a betting push. So would they and Ole Miss or LSU.

Hail to the victors...Maize and blue.. Gotta give them credit. well balanced and overwhelming lines, on both sides of the ball. That's what wins championships.

Every single team in college football cheats, which is why I cannot stand the NCAA’s hypocrisy on which teams get punished and which ones get away with it. When UNC got busted for having a non-existent class that athletes got to take, the NCAA came up with a loophole to allow them zero punishment. When Auburn got caught giving money to Cam Newton’s dad, same thing. It’s all incredibly corrupt, even at our beloved UT.

The NCAA didn't/doesn't have the resources/manpower to enforce its rules, especially with so many schools cutting corners and cheating in one way or the other over the years. On top of that, it had no real standards for punishment and so punishment varied a lot for schools that did get caught cheating. Rules enforcement should be left with the conferences--but even that would be very problematic: Would any conferences REALLY crack down on cheating and rule-breaking among its member schools, especially if one conference thought other conferences were soft on enforcement? A lot of cheating in the past was exposed by one school calling out another--Fulmer complained about bama, a lot, as I recall---and that worked...as far as it went, which wasn't very far. Now, with the courts and everything else, we've entered, effectively and perhaps for the time being, a period of no rules--anything goes--and it's all rather chaotic.

Those two bogus holding calls against Washington that wiped out big gains were devastating. Not necessarily saying Washington would have won if they hadn’t been called. But they destroyed any remaining chance the Huskies had. The NCAA as a whole needs to get some consistency and quality control when it comes to holding. It is the most blatantly missed or else phantom penalty in the sport (as we Tennessee fans know from bitter experience this year) ☹️

The talking heads leading up to this game were trying to compare him to Joe Burrow.

He is not a Joe Burrow.
I feel sorry for Penix in that he had a bad game but as a Bengal fan, I'm glad we can put that nonsense to bed. Two things Burrow has that Penix hasn't shown:

The ability to throw accurately when on the run

Play well under pressure of a high stakes game

How do you think Georgia would have fared against either of these teams?
But they didn't get it done when it counted. Nice thing about the playoffs is that it eliminates the "coulda, woulda, what ifs" from the discussion. The bad thing is that blatant cheating isn't punished. Rules of the game like PI, holding are ignored and are called unevenly making the game seem like there's going to be a predetermined outcome that the officials will make sure comes to pass. Then you add in the NIL and the portal which essentially give free agency to the college game and it's kinda hard to really remain invested in your school and the sport.

Maybe seeing some big names leave the college coaching ranks for the NFL or retiring would be a good thing? Might lead to some rules and control over what's become an absolute freak show in college football. Can't believe many will look at the state of the game we love and see it changed for the better.

Reactions: volwindy
I thought Michigan got the Alabama treatment. Anytime Washington started moving they were nailed with holding calls. When Michigan had the ball the officials swallowed their whistles. The big play that broke the game open should have been called back. It was going to be a major sack (with high probability of a turn over) had not the Washington DT not been strip searched by the OL. The replay shows it oh so obvious. These games have been rigged all season.

VN Store

Back