Cell phone service help

hUTch2002

Wait til next year!
So I’m in the Hardin Valley area and have Verizon. The last few weeks service has gotten absolutely terrible. 2 questions:

1. Anyone else in the area experiencing the same?
2. Anyone have ATT in the HV area and how is the service?

I've had Verizon for twenty years and am just about over it. My wife has been on me to switch for months now. Verizon sent me a free signal extender, but that doesn't help away from the house. I'll have 4 bars of 5G signal and can't load a website anywhere in Farragut. I also can never get service at or near the stadium during games, despite the fact that Neyland has Verizon logos and (supposedly) access points all over the place. I thought this was unavoidable, but I sat next to someone at the Ole Miss game who was streaming video. I asked how the hell they were doing that, and they said they had AT&T.

I'm going to buy a prepaid SIM from one of the AT&T MVNO's to test it out. If it works, I'm gone from Verizon.

Reactions: VolNExile
I’ve been with Sprint, AT&T, back to Sprint, Verizon, back to AT&T and now back to Verizon. They all have their issues. Sprint had the worst coverage by far, but very clear when in coverage area. AT&T was okay but I had a lot of dropped calls. I’ve found that Verizon is the best overall for coverage.

I've had Verizon for twenty years and am just about over it. My wife has been on me to switch for months now. Verizon sent me a free signal extender, but that doesn't help away from the house. I'll have 4 bars of 5G signal and can't load a website anywhere in Farragut. I also can never get service at or near the stadium during games, despite the fact that Neyland has Verizon logos and (supposedly) access points all over the place. I thought this was unavoidable, but I sat next to someone at the Ole Miss game who was streaming video. I asked how the hell they were doing that, and they said they had AT&T.

I'm going to buy a prepaid SIM from one of the AT&T MVNO's to test it out. If it works, I'm gone from Verizon.
Tri Cities here but have noticed that 5G is pretty bad everywhere, signal or not. 4G works well still.

I’ve been with Sprint, AT&T, back to Sprint, Verizon, back to AT&T and now back to Verizon. They all have their issues. Sprint had the worst coverage by far, but very clear when in coverage area. AT&T was okay but I had a lot of dropped calls. I’ve found that Verizon is the best overall for coverage.
I pretty much agree.

It's funny though, while I do think Verizon is probably better overall (not by much though), it seems where Verizon doesn't have coverage, AT&T does* (and vice versa).

Especially at Fort Campbell/Clarksville/Oak Grove

Reactions: SDV
Yeah, 5G has been less than impressive.

Switched to TMobile about 18 months ago after 20+ years with Verizon. Service about the same, but the customer service is worlds apart. Periodically, I tell my wife how glad I am to not have to walk into the Verizon store anymore.

Yeah, 5G has been less than impressive.

Switched to TMobile about 18 months ago after 20+ years with Verizon. Service about the same, but the customer service is worlds apart. Periodically, I tell my wife how glad I am to not have to walk into the Verizon store anymore.
Also have T-mobile. I never, ever have service issues. In the tri cities.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Ive had T for a couple years. In town it works great. As soon as I leave the city it’s dead.

Yup, that’s why we just switched from T Mobile to Spectrum, which runs on Verizon towers. In the city, it worked fine, but we go back and forth from Louisville to Nashville a lot and there were a lot of dead zones on 65. If we went to my in laws cabin or my parents house, we had zero cell service (although I would consider that a blessing to be honest.)

Reactions: SDV
They took over Sprint right?
2 years ago IIRC. They were 3rd and 4th anyway so no big improvement for either s*** service*.

*I've had both, and while T-Mobile has the best customer service IMO, their service is trash unless you live in a heavily populated area. I'm honestly surprised Sprint lasted as long as they did.

Last edited:
I'm a homebody and don't really travel much, so I can't really speak to TMobile's service outside of the tri cities.

Tri Cities here but have noticed that 5G is pretty bad everywhere, signal or not. 4G works well still.
centurylink decommissioned the verizon towers on their COs about five years ago, that, along with CDMA towers decommissioned resulted in call degradation,

verizon et al are still building out their lte network. we are still light years from 5g being any sort of consistent reality

I've been with verison all hte way back to the Bell Atlantic/Nynex/Cellular One days when V was just beginning to form and swallow up all the little guys to make their network. Had AT&T very shortly in the midst of that. Every single month it was a chore on CS phone calls to get my bill right. I got mis-charged every single month. I ditched them for that alone. I did have an ATT Blackberry work phone on one hip and a personal Verizon flip phone on the other. The V reception was always superior in remote areas. I've never had dropped call problems with V as long I was somewhere with a signal.

I concur with an above post on Neyland though. Couldn't do anything on V around hte stadium. Son took me to the GA game this year. He didn't load hte tickets before walking down to the stadium. We were entering desparate mode because it took over 30-40 minutes to finally get the tickets downlaoded from the app. And we were on top of G deck on the river.

OP, my wife finally had enough of the terrible Verizon service in Farragut and got the number of an AT&T rep from a Farragut mom's group. This rep had a bunch of discounts to offer that aren't on the website, and he will come to your house with the new phones, contracts, etc to set everything up. Let me know if you want his number.

OP, my wife finally had enough of the terrible Verizon service in Farragut and got the number of an AT&T rep from a Farragut mom's group. This rep had a bunch of discounts to offer that aren't on the website, and he will come to your house with the new phones, contracts, etc to set everything up. Let me know if you want his number.
Sounds suspicious to me

VN Store

Back