Ceilings

mytenn

A question facing anyone stepping up very far off their current position is whether they have met their ceiling. In the back of our mind has to be can Harper make it this time around- Small to big school & conference.
I remember hearing along in the news of Harpers's first two gigs, as I though, like Pat did, that this girl had potential for coaching. She proved that much anyway.

A question facing anyone stepping up very far off their current position is whether they have met their ceiling. In the back of our mind has to be can Harper make it this time around- Small to big school & conference.
I remember hearing along in the news of Harpers's first two gigs, as I though, like Pat did, that this girl had potential for coaching. She proved that much anyway.
In other words, Kellie made it at a small college in NC, then was fired at NC State. Then, she did good, followed by great last year at small college ball in Mo. Now, back
to big school & big conference another time around. Can she become successful beyond small college ball? That is in the back of the mind going forward.

In other words, Kellie made it at a small college in NC, then was fired at NC State. Then, she did good, followed by great last year at small college ball in Mo. Now, back
to big school & big conference another time around. Can she become successful beyond small college ball? That is in the back of the mind going forward.
And in the mind of Recruits no doubt. The path may be clear: Win or else.

Reactions: mcannon1
It is my opinion that basketball is basketball, doesn’t matter where you are the goals are the same make more baskets than your competitors. How you reach your goal depends more on who you than what league you are in. Example: you have a lot of scoring but no defenders, you need to be an offensive machine and outscore the competition. Average shooters and good defenders slow down the ball make he other team score in a half court, work the ball inside and make layups.

It is my opinion that basketball is basketball, doesn’t matter where you are the goals are the same make more baskets than your competitors. How you reach your goal depends more on who you than what league you are in. Example: you have a lot of scoring but no defenders, you need to be an offensive machine and outscore the competition. Average shooters and good defenders slow down the ball make he other team score in a half court, work the ball inside and make layups.

I think Basketball is a very simple game,,that is impossibly hard to master.

Both the player and the coach has to have a semblance of symmetry going in
Equally dedicated

The player either chooses a coach or the coach chooses his/her players
and often the player chooses the program because of it's traditionally run offense (they know they can fight for a particular position/strength that way

Then there's
plug-n-play,,Proven systems...Like Bill Bellicek's,,Phil Jackson's, etc are one way a player can go

Some opt for
Star power...3 or 4 stars with role players

The job never changes though,,,Build a team from any given scenario, and then,,,,,,Keep them "being a team"
Take ANY immediate challenge (any scenario) and excel at bettering it.
Basketball is Life

Reactions: mytenn
I think coaching comes into play by developing a system where every player can take most of their shots in their comfort zone. This comes with a system that minimizes players weaknesses and helps their strengths. This can only happen if players by in and listen to coaches as to what shots they are capable of and shots that they should never take. Matchups are also important and coaches have to decide which players they have are the best equipped to guard the players you want to limit in a game. Player development is the major determining factor of a teams success. If every player on our team improved their field goal percentage by 5 percent and the same for their free throw shooting highly likely we win an additional 7 or more games. A case in point is Green improves from 39 percent to 44 percent her scoring goes up 2.5 points per game. If every player could do that you see how the scoring as a team would skyrocket. You want a system where players are taking the same shots they are making in practice and you only want players taking three point shots that have shown themselves capable of making them. We had a terrible system with Holly players usually dribbling out most of the clock and then forcing something or passing to another player that had to force. To much telegraphing of passes to a post player that were double or tripled team. Mental mistakes with the ball cost us so many empty possessions. With Holly we never learned how to get the mid-range paint shots when teams packed it in. Players would either force the pass for a turnover or take a shot out of their shooting range. This is where I am hoping this team with this new staff is gonna be different. The hope is were gonna do the offensive things we need to do to get shots that players are comfortable shooting. Shots that they are capable of making that they make everyday at a high percentage everyday in practice. This will determine what kind of season we have and what our prospects are for the future.

Reactions: NoBackBoard

Well, yeah. That track record was the big discussion point when Kellie got hired. Fulmer made it clear that, in his mind she was the right person despite falling short at NC St. And there were many vocal critics after the hire but she has handled the transition process and the media perfectly. She impressed many on the Europe trip (and kept Holly's recruits in the fold). For all, that she has earned "the benefit of the doubt" for many of not most followers of the programs.

But as they say, the proof will be in the pudding (and winning).

I also think it is understandable that CKHJ's recruiting has gotten off to a slow start. She had to prioritize keeping the Horston and others committed and new potential signings are probably in a wait and see mode. A successful season would be a the biggest boost possible for future recruiting.

Well, yeah. That track record was the big discussion point when Kellie got hired. Fulmer made it clear that, in his mind she was the right person despite falling short at NC St. And there were many vocal critics after the hire but she has handled the transition process and the media perfectly. She impressed many on the Europe trip (and kept Holly's recruits in the fold). For all, that she has earned "the benefit of the doubt" for many of not most followers of the programs.

But as they say, the proof will be in the pudding (and winning).

I also think it is understandable that CKHJ's recruiting has gotten off to a slow start. She had to prioritize keeping the Horston and others committed and new potential signings are probably in a wait and see mode. A successful season would be a the biggest boost possible for future recruiting.
So far so good, but some have gotten pretty excited, maybe not knowing or flossing over the history. It is important to some of the top programs in & out of BB to hire, take on only those who have nothing except a very successful past record. Think of the Boston Celtics historically in BB, some high tier academic programs, etc.

So far so good, but some have gotten pretty excited, maybe not knowing or flossing over the history. It is important to some of the top programs in & out of BB to hire, take on only those who have nothing except a very successful past record. Think of the Boston Celtics historically in BB, some high tier academic programs, etc.

So, what is your point, really? That fans should not be excited about the upcoming season because Kellie has not yet proven she can win at a power conference program?

Okay then! Everyone, polite clapping only when the team is introduced for its home opener. No undue excitement!!!

Reactions: Bret178

You really should try to rest your mind a bit and wait until any worrisome things happen before you actually expend so much energy wondering if they will.

But if you want something to think about, consider the fact that Kellie Harper has never received even close to the amount of all-in support from so many people and groups that she is now receiving at her alma mater. She now has access to a much bigger budget, much better facilities, much better personal happiness from being close to family, much bigger and better recruiting lures to use. She can actually now openly function as a Lady Vol while, at her previous jobs, I'm sure she played that down a bit. Kellie can proudly, honestly relate to women from a place of personal experience relating to what level of focus and toughness it actually takes to win championships, and she is even one of the stars of a movie PROVING she knows what she's talking about! :)

The Missouri State basketball community, on a smaller scale, was likely the most full-on support she'd received up to now, and just look at how well she did there.

Kellie can now be the Kellie J. Harper she was born to be -- and that Pat Summitt knew she would be -- because she is where she has everything she could ever possibly need to BE that person and coach. I am beside myself with happiness for her, and for the Lady Vol basketball program, because I am 100% positive that she is the right person for the job.

The season is near. Try not to worry, and just enjoy it! :D

Last edited:
You really should try to rest your mind a bit and wait until any worrisome things happen before you actually expend so much energy wondering if they will.

But if you want something to think about, consider the fact that Kellie Harper has never received even close to the amount of all-in support from so many people and groups that she is now receiving at her alma mater. She now has access to a much bigger budget, much better facilities, much better personal happiness from being close to family, much bigger and better recruiting lures to use. She can actually now openly function as a Lady Vol while, at her previous jobs, I'm sure she played that down a bit. Kellie can proudly, honestly relate to women from a place of personal experience relating to what level of focus and toughness it actually takes to win championships, and she is even one of the stars of a movie PROVING she knows what she's talking about! :)

The Missouri State basketball community, on a smaller scale, was likely the most full-on support she'd received up to now, and just look at how well she did there.

Kellie can now be the Kellie J. Harper she was born to be -- and that Pat Summitt knew she would be -- because she is where she has everything she could ever possibly need to BE that person and coach. I am beside myself with happiness for her, and for the Lady Vol basketball program, because I am 100% positive that she is the right person for the job.

The season is near. Try not to worry, and just enjoy it! :D

Good points but if a killer asteroid collides with the earth, will Kellie be able to recruit when all human life on Earth is extinct? Can she make the transition to cock roach basketball? Will she be able to the handle the heat of molten lava seas flooding the earth and winds of fire ravaging the charred planet and consuming all oxygen?

Good points but if a killer asteroid collides with the earth, will Kellie be able to recruit when all human life on Earth is extinct? Can she make the transition to cock roach basketball? Will she be able to the handle the heat of molten lava seas flooding the earth and winds of fire ravaging the charred planet and consuming all oxygen?

Oh NO!!!!!! I forgot about all those possibilities!!! Another friend just reminded me that short of human extinction, Kellie could very well soon be sucked into an invisible black hole during practice, and that the gravity her LVFL persona naturally has will most certainly pull the entire team, and possibly the entire program, into it with her, never to be seen again!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: madtownvol

You're darn tootin' she can!!!

In the meantime, there are a couple of pesky cockroaches to be dealt with.

VN Store

Back