CAUTION!!

It is not just one loss. It is a comprehensive, program-defining defeat against a sub-standard opponent, an opponent this coaching staff had several months to prepare a game plan against.

The product on the field was a condemnation of our head coach and his staff, a continuation of the poor coaching and poor play witnessed late last year.

If fans protest, then they are protesting the failure to make progress that is indicative behind the entire concept of rebuilding.

A loss against a Bama, a Florida, or even a Mississippi State you might be able to excuse.

But there is no excuse for the failure in preparation and conditioning we all saw this past weekend. None at all.

I completely agree with everything you said. There was no excuse for what happened Saturday. That one falls squarely on Pruitt’s shoulders. I’m just going on experience from my time here with my comments. I’ve been visiting VolNation since the Dooley years, and it seems that every time we lose a game- any game- there are fans that say they’re done with the program, we need to fire the coach, blah blah blah. I guess what I’m trying to say is I wish these fans weren’t so... intense. Every program is going to lose every once in a while (granted, just not to Georgia State). Back away from the ledge and be happy with making a bowl, and support your team instead of wishing they would go 0-12 so you can hire yet ANOTHER head coach, rinse, and repeat.

There are coaches everywhere who will want the job.

There are only so many opportunities at places like Tennessee.
Oh I forgot that everyone was beating the door down to take the job when we hired Pruit. People need to face the fact, Tennessee is no longer a power in college football. We have become a laughing stock, no longer a football school. Until we prove that we can compete, we deserve the suck that has been thrust upon us. Go ahead and roast but it is karma for firing Coach Fuller like we did, the man should not have been let go and now we pay the price.

Oh I forgot that everyone was beating the door down to take the job when we hired Pruit. People need to face the fact, Tennessee is no longer a power in college football. We have become a laughing stock, no longer a football school. Until we prove that we can compete, we deserve the suck that has been thrust upon us. Go ahead and roast but it is karma for firing Coach Fuller like we did, the man should not have been let go and now we pay the price.
I thought we corrected the karma after hiring him to clean all this up..

People are over thinking all of this future coach talk.
Coaching candidate: "Why did you make the change?"

Fulmer:. "Loss to Georgia State"

Both laugh

Coaching candidate: That won't happen to me, I am better coach!

Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!
Of they can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I’ve been thinking this same thing. We are stuck with Pruitt for better or for worse for at least the next 3-5 years. Nobody wanted this job. The roster is devoid of talent. Butch’s experiment with smaller linemen in The Sec set us back at least 3 seasons. We’re about to be starting two guys that played high school football on the O-line. The freshmen corners are better than anything that butch recruited. All those recruiting classes butch brought in over 50% of those are no longer here. This roster is ********. It’s like we were all saying 6-7 wins is a good year then it went national championship or bust. I don’t know if you guys are trolling or serious half the time.

Reactions: sport3500
Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!

Our head coach is getting paid $4m. His assistants aren’t that far behind. There needs to be accountability for Saturday’s fiasco. There is absolutely to way to justify the performance. It is the most disgraceful effort most of us have seen by TN by far.

I’ve been thinking this same thing. We are stuck with Pruitt for better or for worse for at least the next 3-5 years. Nobody wanted this job. The roster is devoid of talent. Butch’s experiment with smaller linemen in The Sec set us back at least 3 seasons. We’re about to be starting two guys that played high school football on the O-line. The freshmen corners are better than anything that butch recruited. All those recruiting classes butch brought in over 50% of those are no longer here. This roster is ********. It’s like we were all saying 6-7 wins is a good year then it went national championship or bust. I don’t know if you guys are trolling or serious half the time.

No. No. No. what point are you missing that we played Georgia State. We should NEVER ever lose a game like that period!!!!

Reactions: Alto1
Real question, how exactly could it get worse?

Well Tennessee could lose the rest of them. Then Pruitt could get fired. Then Tennessee hired Jeffrey Sandusky (because he is the son of a former successful coach and Tennessee knows that works).

So yea technically I guess it could get worse.

There is absolutely no excuse to have lost this game. Pruitt certainly knows how to prepare a defense for a game and this defensive performance was inexplicable.

One scenario I have been thinking is that 1) they severely underestimated GAST and 2) treated the game as a scrimmage or extension of preseason to 3) weed out who was not part of the solution moving forward.

If this is the case, I would expect a major change in the depth chart before this next game.

There is absolutely no excuse to have lost this game. Pruitt certainly knows how to prepare a defense for a game and this defensive performance was inexplicable.

One scenario I have been thinking is that 1) they severely underestimated GAST and 2) treated the game as a scrimmage or extension of preseason to 3) weed out who was not part of the solution moving forward.

If this is the case, I would expect a major change in the depth chart before this next game.

I’m thinking it was a combination of all three, but I’m afraid it will be the SOS next week.

Nothing indicates otherwise.....,,..

David Pollack from ESPN warned about Pruitt's personality from the beginning, which makes me wonder if the players can't stand playing for him. Ellis Johnson went 0-11 in his first year at Southern Miss, which had had 18 straight winning seasons up to that point. Apparently the players did not respond to his coaching style.

It is not just one loss. It is a comprehensive, program-defining defeat against a sub-standard opponent, an opponent this coaching staff had several months to prepare a game plan against.

The product on the field was a condemnation of our head coach and his staff, a continuation of the poor coaching and poor play witnessed late last year.

If fans protest, then they are protesting the failure to make progress that is indicative behind the entire concept of rebuilding.

A loss against a Bama, a Florida, or even a Mississippi State you might be able to excuse.

But there is no excuse for the failure in preparation and conditioning we all saw this past weekend. None at all.

Excellent post!

Well stated!

Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!![/QUOTE

Mike Leach wanted to come. He was left at the alter due to Fulmer’s desire to be AG and control the selection. No one in Tuscaloosa thought Pruitt was ready to be a SEC head coach.

When the coaching staff fields a team like the one last Saturday, I find it hard to support such lack of effort and coaching, when the team can't even get lined up correctly, Unbelievable!

I am not an impatient guy. I have taught students with special needs, downs syndrome and autism. I have been on a team for over 30 years. Yes, I still play team sports at almost 40.

Johnny Majors was the first coach that I remember. I can't remember or been a part of a more unmotivated group of INDIVIDUALS(From H.C. down) than I witnessed Saturday evening. Heck, my dog shows more fight when she wants a ball under the couch.

This is not about losing to Ga. State. This is about the Tennessee team taking pride in what they do and who they are.

My patience is about to run out. I used to brag about how the Vols represented my family and fellow Tennesseans. Their hard work and grit on the field was obvious. Now, I am just about embarrassed to wear anything with a "T"

To point out something I am sure you already know..... Very few guys (note not calling them players) on the squad are Tennesseans, they have not "state pride" just a lack of self pride!!!!

Our head coach is getting paid $4m. His assistants aren’t that far behind. There needs to be accountability for Saturday’s fiasco. There is absolutely to way to justify the performance. It is the most disgraceful effort most of us have seen by TN by far.

Nobody liked the results of the game unless they are a GSU or SEC fan. Complain all you want but hey, don't you think it is a bit premature to call for the firings of all our coaches??

VN Store

Back