Cars, Chips, Supply Chain...

My gf needed a new car so I had been calling dealers and asking what their out the door price is for a Hyundai Santa Fe Plug in Hybrid. Most will tell me over the phone and it’s always over MSRP. The one dealership I called said it’s their policy not to disclose the out the door sales price. I said look I live about an hour and a half away I don’t want to waste your time or mine are you being competitive with other dealers and around msrp or not and the response I got was “we’re SLIGHTLY over msrp but will work with you and are competitive in our pricing with other dealers”. We said ok and looked because it was the only one available for purchase in the area. The “slightly” over msrp price was 12k over msrp. I lost my mind on them for wasting my time and theirs. They told me they’d take 2k off for the inconvenience. I told them to shove it up their ***

I considered myself lucky that I was able to find a VW GTI at MSRP, with no missing features. A lot were missing the Harmon Kardon stereo that were supposed to have it.

Apparent for 2023 some cars that were supposed to have leather will have cloth.

I’m hopeful that these issues will be sorted out by the time I’m in the market again. Likely 2025 or 2026.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Has anyone had any issues with long lead times for repair parts?

A little background.. been living overseas and will move back stateside in January and will need to purchase a vehicle. Looking at both new cars and cheaper used beaters (which I've historically defaulted to). A bit concerned with supply chains and parts backup if the beater needs a repair. On the flip side don't want to pay the huge markup on a new vehicle at the moment but I'm thinking that might be the best option. I'll be a cash buyer so interest rates are not a concern.

A little background.. been living overseas and will move back stateside in January and will need to purchase a vehicle. Looking at both new cars and cheaper used beaters (which I've historically defaulted to). A bit concerned with supply chains and parts backup if the beater needs a repair. On the flip side don't want to pay the huge markup on a new vehicle at the moment but I'm thinking that might be the best option. I'll be a cash buyer so interest rates are not a concern.
It took 3 months to get my son's Hyundai Santa Fe repaired after hardly more than a fender bender. The shop was waiting on a radiator support bracket, I believe.

Last 6 cars I’ve bought were 1 new Toyota, 1 new Lexus, 3 used Toyotas, and 1 used Lexus. Drove them all to well over 200K miles (current Lexus is around 170K) and have never had a major repair needed. Small sample size in the big picture but you’ve got to like those odds

I’m sure it depends on what you’re driving. I haven’t had issues with parts for domestic vehicles.

I also only pay cash and refuse to have a car payment. I own 4 GM trucks/SUV’s as daily drivers. They have 980,000 combined reliable miles.

I recently bought a Mini Countryman S for my wife (no need for a Suburban with kids driving now). She wanted a fun stick shift. I wanted better MPG. I haven’t had to do any repairs yet (knock on wood) but I’ve had the same worry. That’s partly why I haven’t sold any of the other daily drivers yet.

At this point I think they are dragging out the chip issue simply to keep prices inflated. It’s ridiculous.
Its hitting more than the automotive industry. Construction and computers are feeling it too.

I’m sure it depends on what you’re driving. I haven’t had issues with parts for domestic vehicles.

I also only pay cash and refuse to have a car payment. I own 4 GM trucks/SUV’s as daily drivers. They have 980,000 combined reliable miles.

I recently bought a Mini Countryman S for my wife (no need for a Suburban with kids driving now). She wanted a fun stick shift. I wanted better MPG. I haven’t had to do any repairs yet (knock on wood) but I’ve had the same worry. That’s partly why I haven’t sold any of the other daily drivers yet.
Bet that mini bites you if you keep it very long.

Bet that mini bites you if you keep it very long.

Time will tell. From what I’ve read, if you’re good to them, they’re good to you. Run premium fuel (direct injection & turbo) and don’t neglect maintenance. It’s not a “gas and go” type of vehicle.

Chip issues will probably continue to hurt automotive production for a while. Not just chips anymore though as parts from China, wiring harnesses from Ukraine, rail car and cargo vessel issues, etc. have all contributed to the historic low dealer new car inventory due to lack of production. Amongst all OEM’s, there have been over a million vehicle production cuts here in North America alone this calendar year to date. Maybe by the end of 2023, things may be back to some normalcy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC_VOL
Time will tell. From what I’ve read, if you’re good to them, they’re good to you. Run premium fuel (direct injection & turbo) and don’t neglect maintenance. It’s not a “gas and go” type of vehicle.
It’s a BMW product…..not hard to find their long term reliable and cost of repairs. Best of luck if you keep it long term

It’s a BMW product…..not hard to find their long term reliable and cost of repairs. Best of luck if you keep it long term

The thing I’ve noticed is Mini owners take them to the dealer for everything. “My oil change only costs $250”😳 There aren’t many DYI type of owners. It’s a different crowd than I’m used to. 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄😂

My sister got a new to her, old car, within a month had major issues not starting. It took 3 months for them to get it fixed. And of course not long after she got it back another issue popped up....

I really haven't, but I would not be buying any electronic modules. 2 years ago, you really couldn't get a lot of things from China, which is pretty much all rubber parts and any casting, at least. Since then, I have not had any trouble getting stuff.

Build Your Own New Chevy Car, Truck, Crossover, SUV, or Van

Hey Yank, what do you know about people building their own Chevrolet? How does it work, and could it work with a trade-in?
It's quite simple. Walk in and sit down with a salesman and build it (or do it yourself. Print it and bring it in). Place a deposit ($1,000 here) and your vehicle is "ordered." You still have to wait for that dealer to get an allocation for that vehicle and hope there aren't any constraints.

Trade values fluctuate too much. You're looking at least 4 months from order to it getting delivered at a MINIMUM right now. Your trade today won't be worth the same in the 4 (or 6 or 8...) months it takes to get here.

It's quite simple. Walk in and sit down with a salesman and build it (or do it yourself. Print it and bring it in). Place a deposit ($1,000 here) and your vehicle is "ordered." You still have to wait for that dealer to get an allocation for that vehicle and hope there aren't any constraints.

Trade values fluctuate too much. You're looking at least 4 months from order to it getting delivered at a MINIMUM right now. Your trade today won't be worth the same in the 4 (or 6 or 8...) months it takes to get here.

Y'all are requiring deposits for an order? Is that pretty standard at all dealerships?

Need to go back to the days when cars didn’t need computer chips. They worked fine for over a century based on totally mechanical control. Same with toasters, refrigerators, wrist watches, radios, washing machines, microwaves, LP players, etc etc
We are at the mercy of our digital overlords who can cut us off from everything with the typing of a few commands
And yes, I realize the irony of me saying this using a smartphone

I just spec'ed out a Chevy 2500 WT with the duramax $61,000 and change for a damn work truck. Absolutely insane, GMC was $64k.

VN Store

Back