Careers of Jack Jones & Chance Hall

wmcovol

We all recall the news in 2015 when it was announced two freshmen would be starting in the OL vs Ga. But Jack Jones and Chance Hall played pretty well that day and held their own vs Bama the following game. In fact I think they started the rest of the season on that right side while the Vols won out after bama, a 19-14 loss.

I can’t help but wonder how their careers may have been different if they’d been able to be redshirted and been in a legitimate strength program instead of the scout troop program of CBJ. Injuries often occur when players play too early. Either were are big as some of the recent signees. I think both would still be playing and Tennessee football would have benefited significantly the last two yrs and this coming season if they’d had the chance to develop.

It’s not all on CBJ either. He had to play these guys early cause dumbass Dooley went a full season with NO OL signees and did a poor job on the ones he did sign the yrs before. If you want an example of how bad hires impact you down the road, here’s one.

Jack Jones had that nasty streak, and too bad he couldn't finish his college career. Who knows on the "playing too early thing"...could be something to it, but all those injuries in back to back years really kinda put us in the spot we're in right now...in addition to lack developing depth behind them, or recruiting depth behind them. Edit....just saw the news on Chance Hall. Really too bad.

Saw Jones play in high school. He was a relentless OLman, and I'm certain had he stayed healthy, we would've have seen him on Sundays. One of my favorite player in that cycle. Hate it for him.
I don't know about Sundays but I agree he seemed to have tremendous potential that fell apart.

The following year butchie put a 250lb Freshman, Marcus Tatum, in the starting lineup versus Bama and it was a slaughter. Apparently he thought MAC philosophies could work in the SEC.

Marcus is another example of someone having to play too early. He played well vs Aljen of UK so I think he has ability.

Reactions: livefaith
The following year butchie put a 250lb Freshman, Marcus Tatum, in the starting lineup versus Bama and it was a slaughter. Apparently he thought MAC philosophies could work in the SEC.

I think at the point in the injury carousel that he may have been the best option too. We were gutted of OL and Jones stripped off Tatum's RS that day. He desperately needed that RS year too. Was not ready. Lord, those NFL DEs had a field day on the poor kid.

Last edited:
What puzzled me about Jack Jones was after he was obviously injured, Jones continued to start him in front of Venzell Boulevard. VB was pretty good and we missed him dearly last year after he transferred mid season to the Canes. I wish someone would ask VB what happened in all that. That kid had a mean streak too, and just like that we lost both our guards who were developing well. :-(

Reactions: BreatheUT
now, it seems so sad...those boys has so much promise...feel bad for them and wish them all the luck in the world...and,

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Reactions: BucksnortVol
We all recall the news in 2015 when it was announced two freshmen would be starting in the OL vs Ga. But Jack Jones and Chance Hall played pretty well that day and held their own vs Bama the following game. In fact I think they started the rest of the season on that right side while the Vols won out after bama, a 19-14 loss.

I can’t help but wonder how their careers may have been different if they’d been able to be redshirted and been in a legitimate strength program instead of the scout troop program of CBJ. Injuries often occur when players play too early. Either were are big as some of the recent signees. I think both would still be playing and Tennessee football would have benefited significantly the last two yrs and this coming season if they’d had the chance to develop.

It’s not all on CBJ either. He had to play these guys early cause dumbass Dooley went a full season with NO OL signees and did a poor job on the ones he did sign the yrs before. If you want an example of how bad hires impact you down the road, here’s one.
Dooley played OL's early... who completed their careers at UT and are playing on Sunday.

It is all on Jones. His "techniques" were quietly questioned by former players when watching practice in that first year... and not quite as quietly rejected by the really good OL's Dooley left him. Pile on top of that his "innovation" in S&C, diet mgt, sleep mgt, et al that produced slow, small, weak OL's... and you have the answer as to why guys stayed hurt. At no point after the first year did Jones have a stable starting line up or top 7 OL's.

Jones did that all by himself.

Jack Jones had potential to be an NFL Draft pick.

Such a shame injuries held him back.

Jack Jones is not a good example for your post. Jack had a congenital health issue that had nothing to do with the S&C program. My wife and Jack’s mother are first cousins, and it was a family decision for Jack to give up football. He was living his dream. I have talked personally with Jack since his decision, and he is handling this extremely well. Jack will graduate this Spring, and he will be very successful in his life.

Saw Jones play in high school. He was a relentless OLman, and I'm certain had he stayed healthy, we would've have seen him on Sundays. One of my favorite player in that cycle. Hate it for him.
He was all Vol, too! I hate it for the kid!

Jack Jones is not a good example for your post. Jack had a congenital health issue that had nothing to do with the S&C program. My wife and Jack’s mother are first cousins, and it was a family decision for Jack to give up football. He was living his dream. I have talked personally with Jack since his decision, and he is handling this extremely well. Jack will graduate this Spring, and he will be very successful in his life.

I was mistaken then. I thought it was recurring shoulder and neck injury that caused his retirement. No where in my post did i question that Jack Jones dealing with this in a positive manner or that he would be successful in other areas of his life.

Reactions: SD189
I was mistaken then. I thought it was recurring shoulder and neck injury that caused his retirement. No where in my post did i question that Jack Jones dealing with this in a positive manner or that he would be successful in other areas of his life.

Was just sharing information and opinion. In no way was I trying to be negative to your post.

Reactions: SD189
Things happen like with Jack Jones.

But Butch Jones' philosophies and ideas consistently resulted in poorly developed and coached OL's. He talked about the "fine points" of winning football like measuring sleep and about redefining SEC football with his "brand". He ignored the basics and failed at the fundamentals.

The first OL he inherited. They did things Pittman's way. For the most part the same 5 guys started and performed reasonably well in spite of Jones' "system". For the next 4 years, the OL was in constant flux due to one injury after another. That's poor development, S&C, scheme, and technique.

Jones is one of the worst coaches I've seen.

VN Store

Back