Career Change

I'm 59 years old and just made a major career decision. You have to consider where you are and where you want to be when you retire. The end game is all that matters for you and your retirement plans. Of course job satisfaction is always a consideration, but at some point you must decide where you wish to be when you do decide to retire.

Just looking for some ideas. Early 30s, with a business degree. Looking into sales or territory management careers. Any jobs you’ve liked or absolutely hated?

Just got into Purchasing recently and I love it. Meet a lot of people. Lots of perks from the vendors. Pays pretty well no matter where you go.

Friend of mine is a medical sales rep and it’s unreal what he makes. He is damn good at sales. He 31 and just finished building a 650k lake house (lot he bought previously) in cash.
Hard to break into. Hard to establish a territory.

The money is in establishing several product lines, ie Jr Execs or what have you, below you. Stay away from areas with pharmacy owned product lines, if possible.

Turned down a Cranial/facial line here in WNC in 2011, thinking didnt want to work the ER at 3 AM. Also, incorrectly assumed the economy would inevitably get better - ergo a better line would arise.

Get in when you can.

Another thing I learned recently is there is absolutely no soil scientists around east TN (the folks you call when you need a perc test). And the few that are, are always booked up. If you lookup the licensed ones in the state, there’s only like 50 on the TN website.

Reactions: Go aeiou
One last thing, a lot of what you do or who you want to be is a mindset. Instead of thinking damn I wish that was me, I said eff it that will be me and started making goals to get there. Another thing I realized was that every time I got to where I wanted to be, it wasn’t good enough. I started to learn to appreciate being in spots that I dreamed about 1-2 years ago. My typos are terrible right now. I’ve been up half the night with my 1 year old.

One last thing, a lot of what you do or who you want to be is a mindset. Instead of thinking damn I wish that was me, I said eff it that will be me and started making goals to get there. Another thing I realized was that every time I got to where I wanted to be, it wasn’t good enough. I started to learn to appreciate being in spots that I dreamed about 1-2 years ago. My typos are terrible right now. I’ve been up half the night with my 1 year old.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think I'm where you were at this point. There's something I've been interested in and wanting to do for awhile but it's not been the best timing for it, but I'm at where my backup plan wanted me to be and I hate it. Nowhere close to good enough I'm pissed and always wanting something else.

Reactions: davethevol
Is this the surveying yall are advising the OP to do?

What Is the Average LAND Surveyor Salary by State
State Annual Salary Monthly Pay
TN $56,668$ 4,722

I did inside sales for a few years in telecom. It was great...until it wasn't. I also worked closely with the Sales Reps at Eastman in my last job. Great money and opportunity there. But they were always on the road. So it was great if you like that and awful if you didn't.

TN $56,668$ 4,722

Is this blending the field workers with the cad drafters? You'll make more money obviously learning Autocad and doing the latter.

Reactions: McDad
Is this blending the field workers with the cad drafters? You'll make more money obviously learning Autocad and doing the latter.
I don't know. I googled surveyor salary but lacked any idea on refining my search.

I don't know. I googled surveyor salary but lacked any idea on refining my search.

The problem is that there is a huge amount of variance with that job title. If you're only doing field work then you're going to make less. If you can draft in cad proficiently that's probably accurate as maybe an entry salary but you'll earn a lot more over time.

I'm not in the industry myself but I have friends that are. They both started out with field work but now are solely office employees working at a desk (or in today's case, from home).

The problem is that there is a huge amount of variance with that job title. If you're only doing field work then you're going to make less. If you can draft in cad proficiently that's probably accurate as maybe an entry salary but you'll earn a lot more over time.

I'm not in the industry myself but I have friends that are. They both started out with field work but now are solely office employees working at a desk (or in today's case, from home).
Any idea of their annual salaries?

TN $56,668$ 4,722
Own your own company after you get some experience. That goes up considerably.

Depending on how early into your thirties you are, there’s an ATC bid opening in a couple weeks.

TN $56,668$ 4,722
That data isn't even close to accurate in the present climate. And the demographics for the profession are horrible.

TN $56,668$ 4,722
I just noticed $4700/month. The main guy that I know is a surveyor would do side jobs and would routinely get $2,000-3000 to do one job on the weekends.

Reactions: Wireless1
Another thing I learned recently is there is absolutely no soil scientists around east TN (the folks you call when you need a perc test). And the few that are, are always booked up. If you lookup the licensed ones in the state, there’s only like 50 on the TN website.
Do they have to work under a professional engineer in order to produce reports that banks and insurance companies will accept? I don't know how all that works and I'm wondering if being under the thumb of another professional might be discouraging entry to that field.

VN Store

Back