Captain Marvel 2019

I have never felt like Marvel was deliberately pushing a SJW/PC agenda. They have not gone the ridiculously obvious Star Wars route.

I have never felt like Marvel was deliberately pushing a SJW/PC agenda. They have not gone the ridiculously obvious Star Wars route.

The only agenda Disney, and by extension Marvel and Lucasfilm, is trying to push is appealing to the widest audience possible. Has nothing to do with social justice or political correctness and everything to do with capitalism and making all the money.

I finally got to see this about 2 weeks before Endgame. I think it's a good MCU film, but honestly I'd put it middle of the pack of the films, if not the lower half. Granted, by the time I got to see it my excitement for Endgame was high, but I still wanted to see this before Endgame.

I think my biggest disappointment was Coulson and Ronan. Their appearances were pretty well hyped up but in the end both turned out to pretty much be glorified cameos. I did like the rest of the cast. The post credit scene was a nice set up to Endgame, but after watching Endgame I don't feel like now I would have really missed much if I hadn't seen CM before it.

As far as the character, I admittingly don't know a lot about her. I like her ok, but I generally am not a fan of overpowered characters (i.e. I've never really liked Superman much). Again I don't know her comic story, but I'm hoping her next movie we see some real weaknesses exposed that brings her down a notch or two because heroes that have vulnerabilities are more interesting.

Reactions: BenGrimm
So I’m injured, bored and all my peers and Soldiers absolutely love comic books. So I’m watching all 22 movies in order to understand them better and at least know what’s going on in conversation.

I’m going in chronological order, but got started because I’d seen a couple of the movies on FX. I’ve now seen Captain America, First Avenger, Captain Marvel, Iron Man 1 & 2, the first Thor, Winter Soldier, Civil War and Ant Man.

All that preface to say as someone who doesn’t have an interest in the comics, Captain Marvel is my favorite so far, surpassing Winter Soldier. I liked how Larson portrayed the role (although I have no idea how she was supposed to be portrayed). From what little I’ve seen, Iron Man is the only other character that comes off completely natural. So, my question: Why is there so much backlash at Larson playing the role?

I think it mostly started because she had some comments about how many white people were at her Captain Marvel press events. And some other comments about race regarding another movie I think.

If someone wants to get the most out Endgame, it really is beneficial to watch all the movies. There are a few scenes that may not make sense if you haven't seen some of the previous movies. They did a really good job I think of tying together multiple characters, stories, and how they interact.

I think it mostly started because she had some comments about how many white people were at her Captain Marvel press events. And some other comments about race regarding another movie I think.

If someone wants to get the most out Endgame, it really is beneficial to watch all the movies. There are a few scenes that may not make sense if you haven't seen some of the previous movies. They did a really good job I think of tying together multiple characters, stories, and how they interact.

Larson made comments about white people at her press events or outsiders said something about the events being predominantly white?

Larson made comments about white people at her press events or outsiders said something about the events being predominantly white?
She made the comments.

Before the film’s release, Ms. Larson told “Entertainment Tonight” that she had spoken with Marvel about making the film “a big feminist movie.” In another interview, she said that after noticing that most of her interviewers in the past had been white and male, she vowed to seek out more underrepresented journalists, including Keah Brown, who is black and disabled, and who profiled her for Marie Claire.

Ms. Larson, who won the best-actress Oscar in 2016 for her performance in “Room,” had previously lashed out against the homogeneity of professional film critics. “I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘A Wrinkle in Time,’” she said during a speech last summer. “It wasn’t made for him.”

When ‘Captain Marvel’ Became a Target, the Rules Changed

Reactions: volfanbill
So she is outspoken and that scares some people?
Maybe? I don't know. It didn't bother me? He asked what caused some complaints, so I answered with that I thought was the reason.

But when one works on a series that is a fan favorite, they're going to encounter the fans that are going to gripe when attempting to inject some sjw argument upon them.

So what I’ve gathered is Larson said the films should be more diverse, so now there’s backlash to remove her from future films to create said diversity. That’s kinda weird.

Maybe? I don't know. It didn't bother me? He asked what caused some complaints, so I answered with that I thought was the reason.

But when one works on a series that is a fan favorite, they're going to encounter the fans that are going to gripe when attempting to inject some sjw argument upon them.

I'm so sick of it being labeled "sjw", like it's some bad word. JFC MLK was a "sjw". That's not really directed at you but I find the anti-sjw types so tiring.

I'm so sick of it being labeled "sjw", like it's some bad word. JFC MLK was a "sjw".
And he didn't work in the entertainment industry. If someone wants to be a champion of a cause or push societal expectations they have every right and can celebrated for it.

If they want to be a champion of a cause as an entertainer and use that platform to push that cause into the lives of the fans who want to be detached from the world's issues for a couple hours or possibly ruin their experience, then probably expect some backlash.

And he didn't work in the entertainment industry. If someone wants to be a champion of a cause or push societal expectations they have every right and can celebrated for it.

If they want to be a champion of a cause as an entertainer and use that platform to push that cause into the lives of the fans who want to be detached from the world's issues for a couple hours or possibly ruin their experience, then probably expect some backlash.
I agree with this, but the article you linked me paints the picture of Larson wanting more diversity, and the backlash is people wanting more diversity than just a white woman. It’s a little far fetched to latch onto her cause by wanting her removed.

The "cause" she is speaking on is about the very industry she is in, so asking her to shut up about it is pretty silly. And last time I checked nobody has some right of "detachment". If it ruins their experience, that's their problem.

Reactions: BenGrimm
The "cause" she is speaking on is about the very industry she is in, so asking her to shut up about it is pretty silly. And last time I checked nobody has some right of "detachment". If it ruins their experience, that's their problem.
I'm not making a determination of right or wrong. Just the consequences of actions.

Sure, but almost everything popular has some kind of backlash now.
It does. It's just today's over politicized world. NFL players kneel. Some fans quit going to games/quit watching. Chick Fil-A donates money to someone some people don't like. Those people want to boycott Chick Fil-A. Dick Sporting Goods takes a vocal stance against certain rifles. People quit shopping at Dick's.

She got her feelings hurt. 40 year old white dudes got their feelings hurt. We'd probably all be better off if people didn't let their feelings get hurt so much.

It does. It's just today's over politicized world. NFL players kneel. Some fans quit going to games/quit watching. Chick Fil-A donates money to someone some people don't like. Those people want to boycott Chick Fil-A. Dick Sporting Goods takes a vocal stance against certain rifles. People quit shopping at Dick's.

She got her feelings hurt. 40 year old white dudes got their feelings hurt. We'd probably all be better off if people didn't let their feelings get hurt so much.

Pretty much; or just realize that everyone isn't going to agree on things and that's ok.

Captain Marvel hits 4K UHD, Blu-ray and Digital on Tuesday June 11th!

Disney and Marvel Studios have officially announced that they will release on 4K UHD and Blu-ray Captain Marvel (2019). The two releases will be available for purchase on June 11.

Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel is an adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes. When a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom.

Based on the beloved Marvel comic-book series, first published in 1967, "Captain Marvel" stars Academy Award® winner Brie Larson ("Room," "Kong: Skull Island") as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, Samuel L. Jackson (Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Age of Ultron," "The Hateful Eight") as Nick Fury, Ben Mendelsohn ("Rogue One: A Star WarsStory," "Mississippi Grind") as Talos, with Annette Bening ("American Beauty," "20th Century Women") as Supreme Intelligence, with Clark Gregg ("Marvel's The Avengers," "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.") as Agent Coulson and Jude Law ("Sherlock Holmes," "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald") as Yon-Rogg.

The film also includes a talented supporting cast that features Djimon Hounsou ("Blood Diamond," "Guardians of the Galaxy") as Korath, Lee Pace ("The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," "Guardians of the Galaxy") as Ronan, Lashana Lynch ("Bulletproof," "Brotherhood") as Maria Rambeau, Gemma Chan ("Crazy Rich Asians," "Humans") as Minn-Erva, Rune Temte ("Eddie the Eagle," "The Last Kingdom") as Bron-Char, Algenis Perez Soto ("Sugar," "Isolated Victim") as Att-Lass, Mckenna Grace ("Gifted," "I, Tonya") as Young Carol Danvers and Akira Akbar ("Grey's Anatomy") as Monica Rambeau.

Marvel Studios' "Captain Marvel" is produced by Kevin Feige and directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck ("Half Nelson," "Sugar," "Mississippi Grind"). Louis D'Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Jonathan Schwartz, Patricia Whitcher and Stan Lee are the executive producers. The story is by Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve and Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck & Geneva Robertson-Dworet, and the screenplay is by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck & Geneva Robertson-Dworet

Directors Boden and Fleck's creative team also includes director of photography Ben Davis ("Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri," Marvel Studios' "Doctor Strange"), production designer Andy Nicholson ("Gravity," "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"), costume designer Sanja Hays ("The Fate of the Furious," "Star Trek Beyond"), editors Elliot Graham ("Steve Jobs," "Molly's Game") and Debbie Berman (Marvel Studios' "Black Panther," "Spider-Man: Homecoming"), visual effects supervisor Christopher Townsend (Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Age of Ultron," "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2"), special effects supervisor Dan Sudick (Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War," "Black Panther") and composer Pinar Toprak ("The Angel," "The Challenger").

SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Alternate Movie Versions
    • Movie with Intro – An introduction by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
    • Movie with Commentary – Commentary by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
  • Featurettes
    • Becoming a Super Hero – Follow Brie Larson's journey as she joins the MCU, and see what it takes to be a Marvel Super Hero in every sense of the word.
    • Big Hero Moment – Explore how impactful Captain Marvel's entrance into the MCU is, and how she inspires audiences around the world.
    • The Origin of Nick Fury – Witness some of the MCU's most significant events through Nick Fury's eyes, and see how his influence helped shape the MCU.
    • The Dream Team – Discover why Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck are the perfect pair to direct Marvel Studios' most powerful hero.
    • The Skrulls and the Kree – Take a deeper look into the Skrulls and the Kree, their ongoing conflict, and the importance of shifting perspectives in the film.
    • Hiss-sterical Cat-titude – The cast and crew dish on working with Goose and the raw talent it takes to portray such a complex character on-screen.
  • Deleted Scenes
    • "Who Do You Admire Above All Others?" – Kree Commander Yon-Rogg must answer to the Supreme Intelligence, who questions his leadership ability.
    • Starforce Recruits – Yon-Rogg lectures a roomful of students on the Kree's mission to defend all nations from the scourge of the Skrulls.
    • Heading to Torfa – Vers (Danvers) and her fellow Starforce members banter as they prepare for their rescue mission to Torfa.
    • "What, No Smile?" – In this alternate version of a scene from the movie, Vers is consulting a map when she receives a dubious offer of assistance.
    • Black Box – Keller attempts to track Vers and Fury after their escape in a quadjet from the Joint USAFA Facility.
    • Rookie Mistake – Novice S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson helps Director Keller out of an embarrassing situation.
  • Gag Reel – The fate of the universe hangs in the balance as the cast battles props, flubs and Flerkens in these outtakes from the set.
Digital Exclusives:
  • Journey into Visual Effects with Victoria Alonso – Experience how filmmakers' visions of the MCU come to life on-screen through the skill of the Visual Effects team.
  • What Makes a Memory: Inside the "Mind Frack" – What does it take to craft an action-packed sequence for a Marvel Studios film? Nothing short of an epic team effort!
  • Concept Art – Explore artwork from "Captain Marvel" and trace the visual development of characters.
  • On-Set Images – Uncover a trove of behind-the-scenes and production photography.
4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • Audio: English Dolby Atmos; Latin Spanish, French Parisian, Japan, German & Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus; French Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital; Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA; Brazilian Portuguese, French Canadian and Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital; DVD: English, French Canadian and Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby
  • Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Cantonese, Korean, Thai, Norwegian, French Parisian; Blu-ray: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese;DVD: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish; Digital: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish

Standard 4K UHD release
4KUHD.jpg

Standard Blu-ray release
BR.jpg

Target Exclusive 4K UHD Digibook
TARGETEX.jpg

Best Buy Exclusive 4K UHD Steelbook
BBEX.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: joevol33
It will be on iTunes and Amazon video on May 28.

Wow, that's pretty fast. And I just pre-ordered it on Vudu last week.

I also saw someone on Reddit said they were looking at a pre-order of Endgame on the PlayStation Store and it said it would be released on VOD on July 30th. That makes sense considering that's about the same day Infinity War was released.

VN Store

Back