Candidates for Linebackers coach

Whats wrong with wanting former players to be position coaches?
You should want the best available. Literally every spot that opens countless people name former Vols, some of whom have never even coached at all. This is Tennessee not a training ground for brand new coaches. If the best available is a former Tennessee guy then great but if not then don’t be a short sighted homer and start just naming former players who have never coached. That’s asinine.

You should want the best available. Literally every spot that opens countless people name former Vols, some of whom have never even coached at all. This is Tennessee not a training ground for brand new coaches. If the best available is a former Tennessee guy then great but if not then don’t be a short sighted homer and start just naming former players who have never coached. That’s asinine.

Well sir, both Marion Hobby and Dale Jones have PROVEN that they can coach LBs and DL....

Their credentials would match just about anyone you could suggest......and CJP would be fortunate indeed to have either of them on his staff...

I can't speak for Hobby, but Dale Jones is one of the greatest leaders of young men you could get on your staff.
He always has been....going all the way back to when he was a 180lb TE/DE for the Bradley Bears.

People other than former ut players can coach football, guys. Lawd some of you folks kill me.

Very true, but if you can get a former player that can also coach, it's probably good for recruiting. They know how to sell UT because they've been here.

Don't know about that but it has been said there is no love lost between Dale and Phil....
I know Dale did some things when he was a GA at Florida that rubbed a lot of Tennessee fans and coaches the wrong way. Specifically, doing the Gator chomp in Knoxville after they had just won the game. Obviously, that was a long time ago and may not be the reason he hasn’t returned, but there were some bad feelings at the time.

I know Dale did some things when he was a GA at Florida that rubbed a lot of Tennessee fans and coaches the wrong way. Specifically, doing the Gator chomp in Knoxville after they had just won the game. Obviously, that was a long time ago and may not be the reason he hasn’t returned, but there were some bad feelings at the time.
Oh my.. That's not good.. Worthy of the 'death penalty' in some fans eyes...

Odd though, I honestly don't remember that..

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
Oh my.. That's not good.. Worthy of the 'death penalty' in some fans eyes...

Odd though, I honestly don't remember that..
I’m sure there’s more to the story. Personally, I could care less. It would be hypocritical of me to judge him if I’m welcoming Cade Mays with open arms.

I’m sure there’s more to the story. Personally, I could care less. It would be hypocritical of me to judge him if I’m welcoming Cade Mays with open arms.
It didn't bother me enough to remember evidently.. Although, in my defense, at that time I welcomed our second child, moved into a new house and got extremely busy where I worked, so I wasn't paying full attention..

Well sir, both Marion Hobby and Dale Jones have PROVEN that they can coach LBs and DL....

Their credentials would match just about anyone you could suggest......and CJP would be fortunate indeed to have either of them on his staff...

I can't speak for Hobby, but Dale Jones is one of the greatest leaders of young men you could get on your staff.
He always has been....going all the way back to when he was a 180lb TE/DE for the Bradley Bears.
I would add you’re less likely to lose those coaches to other teams as well.

VN Store

Back