Candace?

CincyLadyVol

For those who follow the WNBA, especially Candace and the Sparks, what are your overall thoughts on her season?

I am reading at various sights that she was benched for some of the playoffs and may be having issues with her coach. Is that correct or just a bunch of bull? Thoughts?

Reactions: LVsinceJV
The one game of the playoffs that I halfway watched, she needed to be benched. their whole team effort was horrible.

Reactions: TJVol95
For those who follow the WNBA, especially Candace and the Sparks, what are your overall thoughts on her season?

I am reading at various sights that she was benched for some of the playoffs and may be having issues with her coach. Is that correct or just a bunch of bull? Thoughts?
Candice has injuries to deal with this year, probably contributing to her sometimes weaker performance than normal from her....As an aside, Candice is one of the best unintentional promoters of the UT Women's BB program thru her honor of Pat Summit.

There is a lot of press about her being surprised and unhappy at being benched of the 3rd quarter of an elimination game (what star player would not be). Candace had a decent first game but was not effective in game 2 or 3 but the whole team was flat during the series. Odds are Fischer won't be back next season; the Sparks underachieved.

Unfortunately, I do think we are seeing Candace reaching the twilight of her career. Time marches on.....

There is a lot of press about her being surprised and unhappy at being benched of the 3rd quarter of an elimination game (what star player would not be). Candace had a decent first game but was not effective in game 2 or 3 but the whole team was flat during the series. Odds are Fischer won't be back next season; the Sparks underachieved.

Unfortunately, I do think we are seeing Candace reaching the twilight of her career. Time marches on.....

She’s dealt with multiple severe injuries over her career and also played international ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if she retired next season. I didn’t watch the sparks much this year, but when I did, Parker looked a step slower than usual, even after missing half the season, and she also looked like she was playing to avoid potential injury situations. She has lost weight, but it didn’t seem to help much.

I watched a bit on Sunday. I was disappointed. She looked bad. Bad passes and not hustling. It was bad!

I watched a bit on Sunday. I was disappointed. She looked bad. Bad passes and not hustling. It was bad!

PERSONAL OPINION ONLY: Candace was, to my eyes, obviously in a low-energy, diminished-focus funk. But she is determined to not make any excuses for herself and so the true story of this series may never be known. Are there yet-undiscovered health issues? Are there team chemistry issues? Are there coaching staff/trust issues?

Really who knows. Seems like she would want to win another championship. Just didn’t look like she gave a poop. Besides Holdsclaw, Spindarella and Sidney Spencer CP will always be one of my favorite lady Vols!

PERSONAL OPINION ONLY: Candace was, to my eyes, obviously in a low-energy, diminished-focus funk. But she is determined to not make any excuses for herself and so the true story of this series may never be known. Are there yet-undiscovered health issues? Are there team chemistry issues? Are there coaching staff/trust issues?

I would not be surprised if she retires sooner than later. She is moving into broadcasting, a single mom, etc. She may not have the focus and passion, particularly now that she is having to play through injuries and an aging body. If she was totally dedicated to b-ball, I think she still can be a very elite player but it is not clear that she is. This season, she would have one good game in three, suggesting that 1) she is not able to manage the grind of the compacted WNBA season; 2) she has games where she is just not mentally ready; or 3) some combination of 1 and 2.

From a longer term career standpoint, broadcasting looks like her ticket. She has a face made for television and seems quite knowledgeable and comfortable in front of the camera.

Reactions: lvocd
Toler was already skating on thin ice, so I am not the last bit surprised that this latest scandal was the last straw.

She pretty much asked to be fired, IMO. Maybe after being there for so long she felt invincible — I don’t know. Just plain dumb.

As for Fish, if all he knows to do is blame the players for lack of effort when everyone was trying to get him to introduce some workable plays to run, then he deserves the same outcome that Holly got when she approached the head coach job in the same way.

Derek Fisher’s defensiveness in the face of difficult truths about his own role in a season-ending breakdown — just like Holly’s was — is a clear sign he has nothing worthwhile to offer a group of professional athletes. If the Sparks organization keeps him on, I think it’ll be a mistake.

Reactions: T.J.
She’s dealt with multiple severe injuries over her career and also played international ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if she retired next season. I didn’t watch the sparks much this year, but when I did, Parker looked a step slower than usual, even after missing half the season, and she also looked like she was playing to avoid potential injury situations. She has lost weight, but it didn’t seem to help much.
Candace didn’t play overseas last year.. she was a commentator for NBA... the injuries had nothing to do with her being benched.. her being benched had a lot to do with the GM

Reactions: T.J.
I would not be surprised if she retires sooner than later. She is moving into broadcasting, a single mom, etc. She may not have the focus and passion, particularly now that she is having to play through injuries and an aging body. If she was totally dedicated to b-ball, I think she still can be a very elite player but it is not clear that she is. This season, she would have one good game in three, suggesting that 1) she is not able to manage the grind of the compacted WNBA season; 2) she has games where she is just not mentally ready; or 3) some combination of 1 and 2.

From a longer term career standpoint, broadcasting looks like her ticket. She has a face made for television and seems quite knowledgeable and comfortable in front of the camera.
She’s not retiring no time soon.. a lot of the drama was happening from the GM..

Candice Parker is still an elite world class player, and a true force to be reckoned with. All too often we keep hearing that certain athletes are getting old, their losing a step, or father time says it time to to sit down, this might be true for many, but not Candice Parker. Like her and our beloved Coach, Pat Summitt, Candice is a what Michael Jordan's performance coach calls a "Cleaner". An ultra elite high performance personality with a mental make up and pedigree the most people can hardly comprehend. They simply don't think, work, or preform to be good or better, they think, they work and preform to dominate, and they do it obsessively. As for her season and playoffs, no, it was not the best of Candice, but I don't think she is done. All elite athletes and teams have these stretches of sub-par performances. Adversity is the key that opens the door of opportunity. If such performances become her norm, then the "slowing down or retirement" conversation can begin. Just my opinion: The Sparks needs consistency at coaching, upgrade their defense, and Candice may need to take some things off her plate, and focus on becoming the most dominant player she has ever been

Reactions: madtownvol and T.J.
Candice Parker is still an elite world class player, and a true force to be reckoned with. All too often we keep hearing that certain athletes are getting old, their losing a step, or father time says it time to to sit down, this might be true for many, but not Candice Parker. Like her and our beloved Coach, Pat Summitt, Candice is a what Michael Jordan's performance coach calls a "Cleaner". An ultra elite high performance personality with a mental make up and pedigree the most people can hardly comprehend. They simply don't think, work, or preform to be good or better, they think, they work and preform to dominate, and they do it obsessively. As for her season and playoffs, no, it was not the best of Candice, but I don't think she is done. All elite athletes and teams have these stretches of sub-par performances. Adversity is the key that opens the door of opportunity. If such performances become her norm, then the "slowing down or retirement" conversation can begin. Just my opinion: The Sparks needs consistency at coaching, upgrade their defense, and Candice may need to take some things off her plate, and focus on becoming the most dominant player she has ever been

I hope you are correct about Candace. But, an interview she gave in September 2019 strongly hints that she is twilight phase of her career:

I think if you plan stuff,” says Parker, “the universe does stuff that may not be in your plans. So, I don’t know. I can’t say. If you’d have asked me three years ago, I would have probably said ‘two years.’ If you’d have asked me four years ago, I would’ve said ‘five years.’ Right in this moment, I know I have way more basketball behind me than in front of me. And I’m OK with that.”) https://www.theringer.com/2019/9/13/20863438/candace-parker-interview-los-angeles-sparks-wnba-playoffs-university-of-tennessee

She also signed a 4 year deal with Turner broadcasting that significantly expands her role as an analyst.

So, we have a 12 year pro ball veteran with a long list of injuries who is a devoted mom, and now a two career professional. I think next season will be her swan song as a player before she embarks full-time on the longer term (and probably better paying) career in broadcasting.

I don't really follow the WNBA very much but knew Parker had some injury issues this year and that her numbers weren't as good. Of course one couldn't help but read about the Toler incident. Fisher getting the coaching job really just seemed like a friend move and wasn't based on his experience or even success.

Parker is likely in the final year or so of playing. She's had a terrific career but has also had multiple injuries that have no doubt impacted her. She fits the NBA analyst team at Turner well and will always be a great ambassador for the LVs and UT.

Parker is likely the most talented player to ever suit up for Pat. Catching is actually my fav, Holdsclaw to me had an overall stronger career but Parker is the most naturally talented of them all.

VN Store

Back