Can we realistically expect improvement next year?

Please don't say that.... maybe it can.

Seriously though, UT has to develop players on D and get some help from the portal or JUCO. As tough as it has been, there are some losses coming to that unit.
Taylor is the only player that I’m sorry to see leave. Maybe Theo Jackson as well.

DL and LB are putrid. I’m being sarcastic here, but I’d almost rather sign an entire JUCO teams defense and start all over

Give me Iowa Westerns entire D:cool:

Last edited:
With our expected departures (don’t have a list, but it includes several starters) can we expect this team to take a step forward? Our recruiting hasn’t been great the past 2 cycles (counting the current) and that may change between now and signing day, but I just don’t see anything saying we should expect a large uptick in capability. I think holding our ground should be the expectation, recruit better, and start improving year 3 or 4 at the latest.
Considering how much we improved this year with how many departures we had, I’d guess we do improve. There’s no way we lose more this off-season than we did last off-season.

Just to add to concerns, there'll surely be some coaches on staff getting poached in the off-season. Hopefully Heup can fill those gaps too.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Probably need to check your math.

UT can only use the extra 7 in the portal and then only to replace someone who enters the portal after the end of the term. Bailey and now Joseph both screwed (intentional or not) UT out of being able to use one of those 7 make up spots.

There are some guys here who keep up with the "counting" rules. I'll admit that they're kind of confusing and seem to change often enough... to let someone else be the expert. UT currently has 14 commits with 10 on O. Defense will be a big push for the rest of the cycle.

Bailey and Morven haven't departed the school yet. They've entered the portal but remain active students. I was looking at that as 2 available spots to sign more than 25 and I assume there will be 5 more to get to 32.

Reactions: wmcovol
Bailey and Morven haven't departed the school yet. They've entered the portal but remain active students. I was looking at that as 2 available spots to sign more than 25 and I assume there will be 5 more to get to 32.
I wonder how that works? My understanding was that they've entered the portal NOW which means UT will not be able to fill their spot under the new rule.

The new rule specifies that the move has to occur after the end of the term. So does that mean the actual transfer or just the player's declaration that they're entering the portal?

I wonder how that works? My understanding was that they've entered the portal NOW which means UT will not be able to fill their spot under the new rule.

The new rule specifies that the move has to occur after the end of the term. So does that mean the actual transfer or just the player's declaration that they're entering the portal?

They will be released from their scholly at the end of the semester, i guess.

Yeah I'm assuming a lot I know, but my interpretation is based on the word depart.

DI Council approves one-year waiver of football scholarship limits

"The waiver addresses concerns about potentially high numbers of college athletes transferring after all student-athletes were given the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring for the first time. It will apply at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, which is the first day of the early National Letter of Intent signing period). "

With our expected departures (don’t have a list, but it includes several starters) can we expect this team to take a step forward? Our recruiting hasn’t been great the past 2 cycles (counting the current) and that may change between now and signing day, but I just don’t see anything saying we should expect a large uptick in capability. I think holding our ground should be the expectation, recruit better, and start improving year 3 or 4 at the latest.

Heupel will be in his second year. I don't think a step backwards is going to be well received. So, doing well with transfers and recruits is important. It always has been, but in the world we live in now? What have you done for me lately is not even close to the expectations. It is what are you doing for me now. How long ago did Orgeron win the national championship for LSU, and where is he now?

I remeber when Tennesse could be patient. That seems like ancient history now. I don't know if this team will improve or not. But if they lose to teams they should beat? Goodwill for Heupel will evaporate just as fast as it does for anyone else. So, they need to find a way to improve and climb rather than regress.

2022s schedule sets up nicely for 8/9 wins.....with quality QB play. The defense can’t get any worse
Predicting future wins has always been a dubious undertaking but now in the age of The Portal it's even more dubious. We really won't even know what teams have until after the Portal deadline, which I believe is May 1, 2022 for the 2022 season.

Predicting future wins has always been a dubious undertaking but now in the age of The Portal it's even more dubious. We really won't even know what teams have until after the Portal deadline, which I believe is May 1, 2022 for the 2022 season.
Absolutely
Just looking at the schedule at face value. That’s all

A down LSU, Pitt loses a lot, weak OOC.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

Can we not simply enjoy the rest of this year before stressing over next year? This team has been a pleasant surprise and U T football has been fun to watch again. Johnny was right with the whole Legion of the Miserables thing.

We lost lots of starters this year and still improved. Get better on defense and it could be a much different team
Aren't we losing quite a few important D players though?

That's my concern, our D could take a step back and O is largely dependent on HH.

If hooker stays, yeas. If we sign some veteran players 0n offensive and defensive lines yes. If we get more speed in the defensive backfield and if we get some speed at the line backer positions yes. Even without those improvements, probably because of the team's experience with the system.

Depends on what you view as improvement. Do you mean statistically? As far as offense, I highly doubt we see much, if any improvement next year. As a matter of fact I could see us take a step back. We will be losing our 2 best big play WRs. Tillman COULD leave. That would leave us with very little starting production returning. Evans may come back but he cannot seem to stay healthy. If Hooker leaves the chance of any offensive improvement is like it done.

Defensively? Here is where Inthink we can see some improvement. Hit the portal for some guys at key positions and we likely see some improvement.

If Hooker is smart he returns to improve his draft stock. Every round improvement translates into more dollars whether he makes it or not as a player. Didn’t Staubach finish his naval service and start at 24 or 25? He did alright.

We had better start buying his book so the lower round NFL money won’t be as tempting. I hope he returns.

I see 7-8 wins with OOC games and VDY, SC, Mizzou, KY with KY probably being the toughest game. We trade out Ole Miss for at LSU. UGA away. FL & bamer at home. I don't think Pitt, even on the road, will be nearly as talented as this year's group.

Eight to nine wins is very attainable if we can get in some decent recruits/transfers and navigate through the season without too many costly injuries.

we are playing THIS YEAR!! why are u even thinking about next year.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Depends on what you view as improvement. Do you mean statistically? As far as offense, I highly doubt we see much, if any improvement next year. As a matter of fact I could see us take a step back. We will be losing our 2 best big play WRs. Tillman COULD leave. That would leave us with very little starting production returning. Evans may come back but he cannot seem to stay healthy. If Hooker leaves the chance of any offensive improvement is like it done.

Defensively? Here is where I think we can see some improvement. Hit the portal for some guys at key positions and we likely see some improvement.

Most of our losses will be on the defensive side with Theo, Soloman, Taylor, George, Mitchell, Bumpus, LaBruzza, Fant, Butler, Trembley, Flowers, Blakely all SR or RS-SR.

Offense and Special Teams: Carvin, Mays, Brooks, Velus, Payton, Calbert, McGrath, Hooker all SRs or RS-SRs.

Obviously not all are starters but most at least play a big role in the 2 deep.

I don't think it will be a challenge to get top notch WRs, QBs or even TEs to come play here for this offense. Banks and Garner are a huge selling point for Defenders.

So long as hooker returns we should be even better on offense next year. Again…he never really got any reps at all as heupel immediately landed on Milton and never really gave anyone else a chance. So seeing hooker play after having had time to develop continuity would be amazing. As for the defense…who knows. We have more talented kids that aren’t playing…I.e. Willis.
Stop with the BS. Milton wasn’t even here in the spring. They all had time to make an impression. Evidently nobody made a good one. Then it started clicking for HH when his time came.

Reactions: Sarms58
So long as hooker returns we should be even better on offense next year. Again…he never really got any reps at all as heupel immediately landed on Milton and never really gave anyone else a chance. So seeing hooker play after having had time to develop continuity would be amazing. As for the defense…who knows. We have more talented kids that aren’t playing…I.e. Willis.

Unlike coach cone-head from Alabubba, Coach Heupel identified HH and stuck with him. Of course, I wish that had happened before the Pitt game, but whatever. At least we're married to an obvious under-performer like JG.

Reactions: Sarms58
A great deal depends on how we do in the transfer portal…the recruiting process usually takes a bit to pick up because coaches have to start building relationships with kids when they are sophomores - 19 of the top 20 in state players are committed elsewhere (we snagged #13) - and most kids coming in from HS need some time before they can play at an SEC level. But if we can snag some key players from the portal as we did this year, we could be a stronger team next year.

Next year starts the whole "CJH needs 3-5 years to get HIS recruits in..." talk.

Then in 4-5 years...at 7-5...we get Gruden Rumors...

Rinse & Repeat...

WELCOME to Tennessee Football in the New Millennium!

eeyore.gif
Atleast Grufen will take it this time.

CJH and staff have shown that they can do much with little. With potential future NCAA punishment looming, Recruiting will be hurt, but I trust that they will go after, and get some players needed to make his plan come to life.

VN Store

Back