Can we beat UF next year? 3 definite losses are OU, Bama, and UGA.

The time for getting blown out is over for Pruitt. Need to show recruits that we can actually compete with the big boys instead of losing by 3-4 TD's in noncompetitive games. Although Bama was competitive because Tua went out but we haven't been close to them since 2015.
Absolutely not. Florida is THE ironclad, surefire loss, not even debatable. We can be good enough to blow the other 3 out and still lose to Florida.

I agree mostly. Of the four OP listed I see 3 as being totally beatable. UF is the only one not likely to be starting an inexperienced QB. Our defense ought be able to confuse new QBs into a lot of mistakes. Therefore UF is the one I see to be the most difficult for us next year.

Ya good point. It really is all about qb. It’s the most important position. Uga and bama have had established/good qbs returning to school for the last several seasons. Meanwhile the last 2 season we’ve had he worst talent at qb I can remember over the last decade.

Calling it now...a 4-2 start with losses to OU and UF.

But we’ll beat Bama in Knoxville after our bye. Lose @UGA. 9-3 finish.

Butch wasn’t awed by Florida, and lost a couple of heartbreakers to them. I don’t think JP is awed in the slightest by them. Fulmer towards the end was absolutely petrified of the program. As long as Fulmer doesn’t psych him out re Florida I think he will be able to beat them.

Yeah gonna have to be answering this a lot OP. Didn’t look unbeatable in the LSU game did they?
Yeah, against LSU. UGA beat us 29 and LSU beat UGA by 27.

We are still miles behind these teams in talent.

Because they are more talented than we are top to bottom, have more depth and mainly they have more speed than we do....right now. We are remedying speed on offense but LB's are still slow in coverage and Riley will eat that up. We are getting better though.
Idk about more talented top to bottom. U are going off this year offense but i have never seen their new Qb play. Same as Us. Their top Wr is going to the draft. Same as Us. Rambo and Jones are cool but not great. They got 2 good backs. Sounds like us on offense minus the recent qb play and 45ppg. Not sure what their oline will look like next year but we possibly could be starting 3 five star olineman. Their defense is atrocious. It is one of the worse defenses i have ever seen and they lose the best player Murray. If our Qb play is improved we definitely got a shot

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Idk about more talented top to bottom. U are going off this year offense but i have never seen their new Qb play. Same as Us. Their top Wr is going to the draft. Same as Us. Rambo and Jones are cool but not great. They got 2 good backs. Sounds like us on offense minus the recent qb play and 45ppg. Not sure what their oline will look like next year but we possibly could be starting 3 five star olineman. Their defense is atrocious. It is one of the worse defenses i have ever seen and they lose the best player Murray. If our Qb play is improved we definitely got a shot
Their defense was ranked 38th in total defense this year. Just 15 spots behind us.

Our offense was ranked 112th and we lose our top 2 WRs.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Yeah, against LSU. UGA beat us 29 and LSU beat UGA by 27.

We are still miles behind these teams in talent.

Not across the board. Just at the most important position. This team would’ve been so different with a great qb. Our defense was solid especially towards the end of the year. Offensive line was excellent. WRs were a great group. We have at least one great rb.

UF is an automatic loss. If any Vol fan looks at it logically then it’s a forgone conclusion that we will lose to UF. They are more talented from top to bottom and have more depth. Also, they are just a better football program. They have been since 1990 and will likely continue to be for the foreseeable future.

We need to have a thread devoted to whether UF has more talent. Whether they do or don't always goes back and forward depending on what point people want to make. I

UF, UGA, and Alabama are the only three games where our chances of winning are slim. OU has a ton of questions on offense and a D that didn’t exactly stand out last year. We’re still behind those others talent wise but we get UF and UA in Knoxville and anything can happen.

Agree but only because Tua went down with an injury and Mac Jones hadn't taken any meaningful snaps. If Tua doesn't get injured they blow us away. Good news is that Tua is no longer there and neither are Jeudy or Ruggs or Harris. Mac looked good in bowl game and Auburn game, it was Bama's defense that was bad.

So UGA, Bama and OU are definite losses. We don't have the talent or depth to keep up with them yet.
I respectfully disagree. Our D did an "okay" job at containing them while Tua was in. He didn't have great stats against us except for a few quick slants that resulted in big yardage or a TD. With decent QB play, I think this is a tight ballgame regardless if Tua is in the game or not. JG missed a wide open WR in the end zone and had the obvious bluster with the secret QB sneak that was a 14-point swing.
I'm not saying we're going to beat them in Knoxville next year, but I am saying that I won't write off a single game next year as an automatic L.

Their defense was ranked 38th in total defense this year. Just 15 spots behind us.

Our offense was ranked 112th and we lose our top 2 WRs.
Idc what their defense was ranked im going by the eye test. They were horrible and have been that way for at least 3 yrs. It doesnt matter what their offense was ranked they are breaking in a new qb. We are not light years behind them. We are a competent Qb away from competing with anybody. Heck if we had even a Tyler Bray level Qb this year we win 10 games for sure and possibly upset Bama for an 11th win. Oklahoma was 4th in composite recruiting rankings over the last 4 yrs right behind LSU yet they gave up 1000 points in one half and couldn't move the ball at all. We had a better defense then LSU did so heck yeah we can compete with them and if we get good Qb play we can beat them. Im not saying we will win but this is not a guaranteed loss.

VN Store

Back