Can someone tell me what happened to the open North Endzone of Shields-Watkins Field?

I sat in the bleachers in the north end zone and watched Herschel Walker steam roll Bill Bates right in front of me in 1980! He was a freshman and no one had even heard about him!

First, Walker was running towards the Tennessee River/North to South. Secondly, that was the first game in newly expanded North endzone. There were NO bleachers left at Neyland that night.

Reactions: ptcarter
First game I saw at Neyland 1975 against Vandy and sat on the bleachers in the end zone. I think it was section X at the time but I can't remember for sure.

People act like it don't get loud in Neyland no more have short memories. I was at the South Carolina game last year and that south end zone was as loud as I have heard in quite awhile at one point is was off the chart loud. Just win baby and it will happen! Fans will be bursting to show out when will finally go full throttle. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
The old way= fans in the stands.
The new way= a place to see and be seen
take a selfie and post how great life is
Pipe in music/noise
flash the lights
Narrow the seats
Skyboxes for the wealthy
Progress?
The north endzone was closed decades before selfies became all the rage...

And yes having more fans in the stadium is progress. I dont care for the extra music and lights but they arent recruiting old guys like me...so i deal with it..without all the whining about the good ol days..

The old way= fans in the stands.
The new way= a place to see and be seen
take a selfie and post how great life is
Pipe in music/noise
flash the lights
Narrow the seats
Skyboxes for the wealthy
Progress?

LOL didnt all this happen in the 60s? And you're trying to blame kids and selfies? LOL What are you 90 years old? These kids and selfies didnt even exist the last time Tennessee had a good football team, let alone when the stadium stopped being expanded. Good friggin' grief.

My first season tickets were in the north end zone on the wooden bleachers. Looking back, this was a pretty good arrangement because you had more room to move around and more fresh air. I can remember Lester McClain in the end zone in front of me with a TD catch.

Reactions: CPA
I was there when Walker hammered Bates. Hate to see the VOLS on the wrong side of history.

Maybe I missed something, but why include a picture of Peyton and the dbag chatting pre-game at an away game in a post about Neyland changes. As you can see, I am clearly triggered by any reference of the dbag.

Intense Vol fanship. The thrown toilet paper, shakers shaking, singing Down the Field, the Walking Horse, singing the Alma Mater, not fighting with fellow Vol fans, standing for 3/4 quarters of the game, staying till the last play, not depending on a JumboTron to know what happened, no third down for what so the partial fans know the down and distance, knowing every player by number home town and and jersey, and showing up early and staying late? Have our football fans changed that much, sadly!View attachment 305080View attachment 305081View attachment 305082View attachment 305083View attachment 305084

VN Store

Back