Can Milton win the Heisman?

If he has a year like Hooker did and is the best in the SEC and played for another team then yes.

What Milton needs to play for is the NFL, not a Heisman. He can make a ton of money if he impresses the right NFL folks. He has skills that'll make NFL scouts drool at a combine. They will overpay for that in terms of draft position and money. So far he hasn't shown the smarts but that's the same position Jalen Hurts was in when he went into his last yr. If he leads the Vols to a ten win season as our starter, he'll be a top ten selection in the draft and make millions

It's possible, but not likely. Like Hooker, he might get the dark horse nod before the season, but after that we'll have to see how it goes. He's certainly in the right system to succeed, but he has to come through and actually do it. I just don't see him replicating what Hooker did last year, but then again he doesn't really have to. Funny to say though, his chances of course hinge on his performance and numbers - but it is very much dependent on the defense (out of his hands). If the defense can give him more chances, and he capitalizes to get to Atlanta - he might have a shot. Sort of the Stetson Bennett formula - don't lose the game, rely on your playmakers and let the defense eat most everyone alive.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I wrote this in a past Hooker Dark Horse Heisman thread but it is still relevant to Milton.

Here are the stats of 4 Heisman winning quarterbacks that ran offenses similar to ours, high tempo (blur) or air raid style offenses

RG3 2011 - 3,998 passing yds 36 tds, 192.31 pass efficiency/644 yds rushing yds 9 tds. Baylor finished 9-3

Johnny Manziel 2012 - 3419 passing yds 24 tds/1181 rushing yds 19 tds
Texas A&M finished 10-2

Marcus Mariota 2014 - 3783 passing yds 38 tds, pass efficiency 186.33/669 rushing yds 14 tds. Oregon finished reg season 12-1

Lamar Jackson 2016 - 3390 passing yds 30 tds/1538 rushing yds 21 tds
Louisville finished 9-3

Hooker 2021 - 2945 passing yds 31 tds, passing efficiency 182/620 rushing yds 5 tds

Hooker will have to have 1)stats similar to the above winners. 2) a Heisman moment or game similar to Manziel's game against Bama or Jackson's game against FSU. 3) Tennessee win atleast 9 to 10 games 4) Heisman competition with inferior stats, (everyone hates Tennesse curse.)

I wrote this in a past Hooker Dark Horse Heisman thread but it is still relevant to Milton.
That's some good research.
So for the Heisman winners you listed:

RG3 - 2011 - 4,642 total yds - 45 tds
Manziel 2012 - 4,600 total yds - 43 tds
Mariota 2014 - 4,452 total yds - 52 tds
Jackson 2016 - 4,928 total yds - 51 tds

Hooker 2022 - 3,565 total yds - 32 tds

Crazy to think how good of a season Hooker had and not real close to those guys. Might seem like less of a conspiracy theory that kept Hooker away from the Heisman than just those numbers don't pop like those other guys.

Let’s just worry about winning. The Heisman is such a joke of a award anymore. If Milton can lead us to a great season and compete for the SEC. That is all I am concerned about and if Joe does that he will be a great quarterback in UT fans eyes. It is futile to try to win the minds of some of the very bias voters that select the of the award. We got a season to worry about that is the best way for Tennessee and Milton to approach the year. Worrying about the Heisman should not be on our list of things to focus on. GBO

Absolutely! Win out, stay healthy, and stay our QB headed for a Natty. Absolutely Joe Milton could win the first Heisman for Tennessee. He needs help. A line to protect him, receivers that will/can catch his throws, a running back that takes some of the pressure off, a tight end to score from a different angle, and a defense to turn over our opponents and give him another shot at points.

That's some good research.
So for the Heisman winners you listed:

RG3 - 2011 - 4,642 total yds - 45 tds
Manziel 2012 - 4,600 total yds - 43 tds
Mariota 2014 - 4,452 total yds - 52 tds
Jackson 2016 - 4,928 total yds - 51 tds

Hooker 2022 - 3,565 total yds - 32 tds

Crazy to think how good of a season Hooker had and not real close to those guys. Might seem like less of a conspiracy theory that kept Hooker away from the Heisman than just those numbers don't pop like those other guys.

Had we beaten So Car and Hooker not got injured and then waxed Vandy with 350+ total yards and 4-5 TDs, Hooker would likely have been the Heisman winner due to his overall resume, CFP selection, and Bama performance. At least that's my opinion.

Joe obviously has all the physical tools to make every throw on the field. We saw his improved development in the Orange Bowl. He is in the greatest offense in college football.

What kind of numbers and how far does this team have to go to get Milton #1 on those ballots?

I say we need to make the SEC championship game, be in the top 3, and he needs to hit 4,000 with 35+tds before the Championship game. My understanding is that the ballots are cast before conference championships, so he needs to hit those numbers in 12 games. That would average out to 334 ypg and 3 tds.

You might say those are high standards compared to some past winners, but we know the Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, so Milton needs to be that much better than the competition. It would help for Caleb Williams to lose a game or two mid season to slow his momentum. The good news is uga won’t have a walkon starting next year so they won’t get the feel-good-story vote for a mediocre qb. Heup just needs to keep Milton in the games long enough to hit those numbers when we’re rolling other teams.

What do y’all think? What’s Milton’s path to the Heisman?
I’d say no way, but if he comes up in discussion nationally it means he is playing well and the Vols might be having a good season. Let’s hope

He could have a Lamar Jackson or RGIII type season if all the breaks go our way. Joe needs to figure out how to be a more physical runner to take the pressure off the pass game. Also depends on who else is up for the award and what kind of seasons they're having. In an average year across the board, I think Milton has as good a chance as anyone. Williams will put up crazy numbers again though.

Edit: Upon further reflection, Joe is probably not going to replicate Jackson's numbers. But I stand by the RGIII comparison.
You have to actually run with the ball to have a comparison with RGIII. He will stand like a statue as usual.

Had we beaten So Car and Hooker not got injured and then waxed Vandy with 350+ total yards and 4-5 TDs, Hooker would likely have been the Heisman winner due to his overall resume, CFP selection, and Bama performance. At least that's my opinion.
I don’t have the same confidence in the Heisman voters that you have. At this point I just pull for our Quarterbacks to be able to lead us to compete for and maybe win a sec or national title. If they do that they will have a shot at the NFL and forever be adored in Knoxville and throughout the great state of Tennessee. The Heisman award is not nearly as prestigious at it used to be. The voters and the politics of it all have greatly diminished it. Nobody needs the Heisman to be considered the best, just win baby!!!! GBO!!!!!

Avoiding injuries will be key. We need our o-line to continue to develop and we need Milton to be smart running the ball. The good news is his running style should help him prevent injuries. I love Hook, but I thought he was gonna tear both ACLs every time he ran the ball.
Without Wright this o-line I fear will regress. He's gonna be a 1st rd pick for a reason. I mean, look how few sacks he gave up, plus he didn't miss a single run block assigned 2 him the entire year. Insanity.

Without Wright this o-line I fear will regress. He's gonna be a 1st rd pick for a reason. I mean, look how few sacks he gave up, plus he didn't miss a single run block assigned 2 him the entire year. Insanity.

I think the OL overall will be better. We will have better depth than we had last season (providing no major injuries before Week 1) and the guys we brought in are solid starters already.

He was better than most realize. This staff seems to be able to coach up linemen, which is something we haven’t had in a while. I think losing Carvin is equally concerning as he was as consistent and solid of a lineman as we’ve had at Guard. Still pissed he didn’t get invited to combine. That said, we have experience on the line. I’m glad all our eggs aren’t in the transfer basket. I’d be really surprised if Crawford and Mincey aren’t your starters. They both played well and know the offense. Taking the transfer from Miami doesn’t get me very excited. The tempo of this offense isn’t something you pick up overnight.

He was better than most realize. This staff seems to be able to coach up linemen, which is something we haven’t had in a while. I think losing Carvin is equally concerning as he was as consistent and solid of a lineman as we’ve had at Guard. Still pissed he didn’t get invited to combine. That said, we have experience on the line. I’m glad all our eggs aren’t in the transfer basket. I’d be really surprised if Crawford and Mincey aren’t your starters. They both played well and know the offense. Taking the transfer from Miami doesn’t get me very excited. The tempo of this offense isn’t something you pick up overnight.
I completely agree with you on Carvin. He's a heck of an o-lineman. I think Mincey will take a big step forward this year, even though he already is a great player. If they can get this o-line anywhere close 2 last year's this team may surprise alot of people. I think Milton has the chance 2 put up some huge numbers. Especially if the Orange bowl version of Milton or better is the QB we get next year. He was great in that game wasn't he?

VN Store

Back