Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

There was some thought entering the spring that Harrison Bailey could challenge for at least the backup gig, but then the COVID-19 pandemic happened. That has hindered the true freshman’s progress, shifting Brian Maurer and J.T. Shrout back to being favorites to be the first quarterback off the bench.

Both saw action last season, but Maurer did play quite a bit more. As a true freshman, Maurer ended up starting games against Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama. But two concussions derailed his season, forcing Guarantano back into action.

The most interesting game of that stretch came against South Carolina, where Tennessee’s aerial attack came to life. Each of the three quarterbacks played, and each of the three torched the Gamecock defense. It was our first true look at Shrout, who entered the game and promptly delivered a 55 yard strike for a touchdown.

Am I misremembering that game? Pretty sure Maurer did not play at all that game and that the 3rd QB was JJ in the Wildcat.

There was some thought entering the spring that Harrison Bailey could challenge for at least the backup gig, but then the COVID-19 pandemic happened. That has hindered the true freshman’s progress, shifting Brian Maurer and J.T. Shrout back to being favorites to be the first quarterback off the bench.

Both saw action last season, but Maurer did play quite a bit more. As a true freshman, Maurer ended up starting games against Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama. But two concussions derailed his season, forcing Guarantano back into action.

The most interesting game of that stretch came against South Carolina, where Tennessee’s aerial attack came to life. Each of the three quarterbacks played, and each of the three torched the Gamecock defense. It was our first true look at Shrout, who entered the game and promptly delivered a 55 yard strike for a touchdown.

Am I misremembering that game? Pretty sure Maurer did not play at all that game and that the 3rd QB was JJ in the Wildcat.
He didn’t play. Jennings started ran one play then Strout came in.

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.
I'm all for playing the best player. IDGAF about how many stars they have.

I dont think HB starts the season at qb2 but it might turn out that way at some point during the season.

He was not a composite 5*, only on Rivals. He finished ranked #99 in composite. Which is not at all to poo poo on his ranking, only to give it much needed perspective. Some take that and think every top 100 QB will be the next star Freshman, like a #1 or #2 overall Lawrence or Fields, but that's a big gap tbh.

It could happen, but these are guys that were rated higher than HB. Then think about how long it took for some of them to develop:

Crompton #51
JG #79
Bray #99

Also had Ainge and Dobbs that were around 160th.

I'm all for playing the best player. IDGAF about how many stars they have.
No doubt but there is generally a pretty decisive talent gap between a blue chip QB and those with 3*. Most get the 5th star because they are physically ready to play day1 as a Fr. I think Bailey is going to play this season quite a bit.

He was not a composite 5*, only on Rivals. He finished ranked #99 in composite. Which is not at all to poo poo on his ranking, only to give it much needed perspective. Some take that and think every top 100 QB will be the next star Freshman, like a #1 or #2 overall Lawrence or Fields, but that's a big gap tbh.

It could happen, but these are guys that were rated higher than HB. Then think about how long it took for them to develop:

Crompton #51
JG #79
Crompton #99
Watson, Lawrence, Fields and Fromm are only 4 to accomplish the numbers he put up in the toughest district at the highest level of GA high school football. He's a blue chipper and I think we'll see more of him than some think. He's gonna be the next Ben Roethlisberger type QB I feel.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Watson, Lawrence, Fields and Fromm are only 4 to accomplish the numbers he put up in the toughest district at the highest level of GA high school football. He's a blue chipper and I think we'll see more of him than some think. He's gonna be the next Ben Roethlisberger type QB I feel.
I do agree with that. His passing stats were very comparable to theirs. I hope you're right, would bode very well.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Scouts are not Coaches. Our Coaches are paid alot of money to decide who plays and who don't. Their jobs are on the line for making these decisions. If you think one minute they are going to base who plays on how many stars someone has your crazy.

Too much talk about Bailey. People are letting their exhaustion with JG cloud their judgement. If Bailey plays this year it will likely be because of injuries or in garbage time. He’s a true freshmen that our fanbase is asking way too much of. He didn’t even get a true spring training session nor fall practice period due to COVID.

Whether you like it or not it’s going to be JG QB1 and likely Shrout QB2 with Bailey potentially taking that role a few weeks into the season if all other things hold constant.

Houstan Kress was on the radio the other day singing Bailey’s praises which does not help. We’re setting Bailey up to fail with these crazy expectations.

How often does a true freshmen actually come in from Day 1 and set the world on fire? Spoilers, it’s not often.

Scouts are not Coaches. Our Coaches are paid alot of money to decide who plays and who don't. Their jobs are on the line for making these decisions. If you think one minute they are going to base who plays on how many stars someone has your crazy.
If you think HB was recruited here to sit behind Shrout and BM you're crazy.

I observed JT get his face ripped off and then proceed to throw the best deep ball of the entire 2019 campaign. He’s cool as a fan. Reminds me of a more likeable (albeit less talented) version of Casey Clausen. Never too high never too low. Check down, first down. Seam route chunk play. Off tackle touchdown. Doesn’t even matter who the qb is with that scenario. But a mercurial kid is not likely to be the one to execute in that environment. Need an even keel guy. I like him. He’s good enough for Allie too.

Reactions: Calisupport
Too much talk about Bailey. People are letting their exhaustion with JG cloud their judgement. If Bailey plays this year it will likely be because of injuries or in garbage time. He’s a true freshmen that our fanbase is asking way too much of. He didn’t even get a true spring training session nor fall practice period due to COVID.

Whether you like it or not it’s going to be JG QB1 and likely Shrout QB2 with Bailey potentially taking that role a few weeks into the season if all other things hold constant.

Houstan Kress was on the radio the other day singing Bailey’s praises which does not help. We’re setting Bailey up to fail with these crazy expectations.

How often does a true freshmen actually come in from Day 1 and set the world on fire? Spoilers, it’s not often.
It's not often that FR are ready to play day1 PHYSICALLY, HB is ready day 1 from that standpoint.

Reactions: 08Vol
If you think HB was recruited here to sit behind Shrout and BM you're crazy.

If you’re a good coach, no one is recruited to sit behind anyone from day one. You have an open competition and the best players play. But the discussion surrounding Bailey have been unfair to say the least. Guarantano is a senior QB with 3 full years of SEC experience and Bailey is a true freshmen who has had his pre-season preparation decimated by COVID yet people are expecting him to come out Day 1 and be Tua or Lawrence.

Honestly, this season is an actual wash because it doesn’t count towards eligibility so it would probably be best to just not play Bailey and let him soak up as much time learning the playbook and our offense as best he can.

He can. Perhaps he will early. But by season’s end it has to be HB if you expect him to return to campus next year imo.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back